Brewer Fanatic

Giants trade J. Sanchez to Royals for Cabrera

patrickgpe
Cabrera had an All Star caliber year. This is a steal for the Giants in my opinion and makes them much stronger. Sanchez is a tease. He's got a losing career record and a career ERA of 4.26 playing in a pitcher friendly park and in the pitcher friendly NL West. He'll get hammered in the AL Central facing DH's and walking guys like he does.

Sanchez has very similar home/road splits actually.

He's great at limiting hits per innings pitched, but obviously walks way to many batters and odds are against that changing. I like the trade better from the Royals side of things given how hard it can be to find competent starting pitching, but i don't think it was some rape of a trade either unless Sanchez somehow manages to walk less hitters going forward.

Cabrera had an All Star caliber year. This is a steal for the Giants in my opinion and makes them much stronger. Sanchez is a tease. He's got a losing career record and a career ERA of 4.26 playing in a pitcher friendly park and in the pitcher friendly NL West. He'll get hammered in the AL Central facing DH's and walking guys like he does.

Sanchez has very similar home/road splits actually.

He's great at limiting hits per innings pitched, but obviously walks way to many batters and odds are against that changing. I like the trade better from the Royals side of things given how hard it can be to find competent starting pitching, but i don't think it was some rape of a trade either unless Sanchez somehow manages to walk less hitters going forward.

You've got one team who has their future CF'er beating down their door(thanks to the Milwaukee Brewers and one Mr. Zach Greinke). So Cabrera is replacable.

The Royals have a slew of pitching prospects who have seemingly hit a little bit of a wall in their development. They're looking for a middle to back of the rotation starter.

I guess when one team gives up a player they no longer need for a pitcher who has the pure stuff to be an effective pitcher anywhere, I give that team a huge W in this trade.

Sanchez has over 1 K per IP. He has to cut down on the walks, but he still has the upside of a 2/3 starting pitcher. Those are the chances a team like the Royals should take. And I think they should try and lock him up for an additional 2 years at 12 million or so. They've got money to spend and teams like the Royals need to take chances. Not to mention, I think it's more likely that Sanchez has a bounce back year and returns to his previous form while Cabrera likely just had a career year.

Plus, if the Royals go out and get CJ Wilson, those two take a lot of pressure off their young elite prospects so when they come up the ace of their staff isn't Bruce Chen...who by the way would also be a good idea for them to bring back for another 2 years at 12 million.

This team has the upside to be a true contender in the next year or two, but it's going to take a little bit of luck in order to do so.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

Sanchez has over 1 K per IP. He has to cut down on the walks, but he still has the upside of a 2/3 starting pitcher. Those are the chances a team like the Royals should take. And I think they should try and lock him up for an additional 2 years at 12 million or so. They've got money to spend and teams like the Royals need to take chances. Not to mention, I think it's more likely that Sanchez has a bounce back year and returns to his previous form while Cabrera likely just had a career year.

Plus, if the Royals go out and get CJ Wilson, those two take a lot of pressure off their young elite prospects so when they come up the ace of their staff isn't Bruce Chen...who by the way would also be a good idea for them to bring back for another 2 years at 12 million.

This team has the upside to be a true contender in the next year or two, but it's going to take a little bit of luck in order to do so.

Where are the Royals getting all this money from all of a sudden?
This is Jack Burton in the Pork Chop Express, and I'm talkin' to whoever's listenin' out there.

KC Star piece, via MLBTR, focuses on how Lo Cain is affected by this trade.

"We’ve got to give Cain a chance to play. We’ve got to find out (about him).” -- GM Dayton Moore

“It was definitely good news when I heard we traded Melky,” admitted Cain, who replaces Cabrera as the club’s starting center fielder. “I’m glad I’ve got a chance now to go out and roam center field. Hopefully, I can go out there and get it done.

“This is what everyone wants – a chance to go out and play every day and prove what you have. I’ve got my chance now, and we’ll just see what happens.”

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Archived