Brewer Fanatic

Giants trade J. Sanchez to Royals for Cabrera

patrickgpe

link

an absolute steal for the Royals. While he struggled this year he does has a no-hitter and is entering free agency in 2013 so I will assume he will return to his 2010 form.

I don't know if there would have been a good match for the brewers but I would have supported giving up something like a Gomez and another player for him if Cabrera was all it took.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
link

an absolute steal for the Royals. While he struggled this year he does has a no-hitter and is entering free agency in 2013 so I will assume he will return to his 2010 form.

I don't know if there would have been a good match for the brewers but I would have supported giving up something like a Gomez and another player for him if Cabrera was all it took.

Melky actually was really good last year. .305 BA, .809 OPS. Can he sustain it? Don't know. But the Royals had the extra guy, so it's a good deal for them. They move Cain into CF and get a solid pitcher into their rotation.

I seriously don't understand how this trade happened. However, since I have an uncle & cousin who are lifelong, diehard Royals fans, I love it. The Royals have definitely started to become my AL team.

EDIT:
1) Sign Melky Cabrera to 1-yr./$1.25M deal
2) ? [somehow get a career year out of him]
3) Profit! [flip him for Sanchez]
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I saw the thread title and thought you meant they traded FREDDY Sanchez for Cabrera. This made me wonder what the heck you guys were all smoking to think this was a good deal. But then I read some actual posts and I now get the gist of it.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

I would have traded Cory Hart for him.
And then moved Braun to RF.

And then lured Jermaine Dye out of retirement to platoon with the newly acquired David DeJesus in left. Trade Morgan and Gomez for young arms, get Coco Crisp for CF- and that's an outfield.

Yea because actually selling high on player is crazy talk, they should take on the Melvin method of holding onto a player until his value dries up completely before looking to move him. Not to mention how our defense would suffer without Hart, how irreplaceable his production is, how young he is, and of course how cheap he his.... or.... yea.

Selling high on players is talk for the fringe element who doesn't understand sports and/or baseball at all, it's much better to be constant buyers at peak value than it is to replenish the talent well. Of course it's not possible to be sarcastic without blue either so I should probably just give up now.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

the trade seems to be ideal for both teams. Sanchez doesn't strike me as any great deal better than Cabrera. so Sanchez had a bad year and projects to be better, while Cabrera had a great year but it was a surprise--sounds equal to me. what else is SF going to get for an ok pitcher with one year remaining? maybe they could have squeezed out a little bit more from some other team, but that would have taken a lot more time. it's probably a nice benefit for SF to get this done early in FA so they can have more energy to devote to wasting their money on Beltran.

Selling high on players is talk for the fringe element who doesn't understand sports and/or baseball at all, it's much better to be constant buyers at peak value than it is to replenish the talent well. Of course it's not possible to be sarcastic without blue either so I should probably just give up now.
Would trading Hart for Sanchez (if that's the premise we're going with today) have been selling high, or just selling to sell?
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Cabrera had an All Star caliber year. This is a steal for the Giants in my opinion and makes them much stronger. Sanchez is a tease. He's got a losing career record and a career ERA of 4.26 playing in a pitcher friendly park and in the pitcher friendly NL West. He'll get hammered in the AL Central facing DH's and walking guys like he does.

The Brewers should absolutely explore trading both Braun and Axford this off-season according to this logic. Based on their production, age and salary, it's pretty likely that their 'value' has peaked. I do understand your logic, but to me, it implies a state of rebuilding. When you have an opportunity to compete, sometimes you have to depreciate your 'current assets'.

Sanchez was rushed and his numbers show it. He's probably "just" a #3 SP, but that's plenty good. He's had far better results than Narveson, and Chris has plenty of value, even at a far higher salary. His away ERA is only 0.10 higher than his home, so he won't fall apart.

Archived