Brewer Fanatic

Stanley Cup Playoffs

Minigoon
Holmstrom is out because he took a puck in the eye. San Jose is young and fast, Detroit has the experience. I am not even going guess how the series is going to go, but it will interesting. I have a feeling it is going to come down to goaltending. If Hasek can stay heallthy and play well Wings have the advantage. Nabokov played well in the first series, but he is also known to struggle at times, remember Kipper used to play for the Sharks, too bad they still don't have him.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm just happy that the Wings got past Kipper, he has been a thorn in their side for years! Well that has been that case with quite a few goaltenders the past couple of years in the playoffs. Kipper, Giguere, and Vokun come to my mind.

Quote:
Kipper, Giguere

Those guys have been nothing, but solid in the playoffs. Giguere won the Conn Smythe, on a losing Ducks team and Kipper almost won it during the finals against Tampa.

If you haven't noticed I am not a Wings fan, my sister is, so I always have to hear about it.

Quote:
I heard Pekka Rinne looked awful on the overtime goal, is this true?

It looked like a good shot by Fahey from my vantage point. A quick shot from straight on. Pekka looked lost on it though. It could've been from a screen but I'm not sure. I hope they put the replay of it up soon because I want a better angle.

Verified Member
Quote:
Wow Luongo looked like a bone head last night on the overtime goal. Great goaltender, but big time playoff rookie mistake.

Yeah I kind of felt bad for him. He was awesome that whole series and to have it end like that was terrible. Oh well I think the Ducks are coming out of the west anyways.

And how about Buffalo tying it with 7.7 left last night? Afinogenov was awesome, I'm guessing he won't be a healthy scratch for game 6.http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

Quote:
Yeah I kind of felt bad for him. He was awesome that whole series and to have it end like that was terrible.

Not only the whole series, but basically since he came over from Florida. Being a Canucks fan, and having Center Ice, I see just about every game they play and there were so many game they won this season they shouldn't have because of Luongo. Tough way for the season to end, but considering they were not expected to make the playoffs, a good season.

I have to agree with the Anaheim prediction going forward. They really seem to be on top of their game right now.

The NHL always blows my mind. I haven't followed hockey as much as I used to, but when I see Trevor Linden playing for the Canucks it reminds me just how much good players stick around.

I suppose the best players in any sport stick around for a long time, but it just seems to me that the shelf life of a hockey player would be much, much shorter than those of other sports.

but when I see Trevor Linden playing for the Canucks it reminds me just how much good players stick around.

First off, let me state that the strike and ESPN dropping their coverage made me completely lose touch with hockey until this year's playoffs began. Playoff hockey always fired me up and I'm really getting back into it now to the point where I'll be buying Center Ice next year.

Regarding Colby's point, I think in the example you cited, Linden, he's more of a character/captain type these days. His line this year was 12 G, 13 A, -6, so he's really not a threat like he once was, but more of a respected veteran presence who will give you decent shifts. Guys like that will always have a place on teams, especially if they are good face-off guys.

A couple more who come to mind are Stu Barnes and Kris Draper. Both are character guys whose scoring line will not dazzle you, but both fill a role for their team.

"His whole life is a fantasy camp. People should plunk down $2000 to live like him for a week. Sleep, do nothing, fall ass-backwards into money, mooch food off your neighbors and have sex without dating... THAT'S a fantasy camp."

Quote:
A couple more who come to mind are Stu Barnes and Kris Draper. Both are character guys whose scoring line will not dazzle you, but both fill a role for their team.

Agreed, Draper is by far one of the best penalty killers in the game.

Amazing how Detroit winning Game 4 just deflated San Jose to the point of no return. The Sharks were less than a minute from being up 3-1.

Agreed Woogie, should be a fun series.

"His whole life is a fantasy camp. People should plunk down $2000 to live like him for a week. Sleep, do nothing, fall ass-backwards into money, mooch food off your neighbors and have sex without dating... THAT'S a fantasy camp."

Archived