Brewer Fanatic

Made up rumor - Marcum to the Nationals

I was doing a little looking into KRod's holds in 2011 from July 20 on - 20 holds in half a season, and saw that the only guy approaching that rate was Tyler Clippard with 38 in a full season.

That drew me to a trade thought of Marcum for Clippard and Ian Desmond.

Any thoughts?

Clippard is a very nice bullpen piece, but over his MLB career Desmond has a -1.7 dWAR and a -6.8 UZR/150 in 2+ seasons. For comparison sake I looked at Yuni's career dWAR and it was also -1.7 with a -8.1 UZR/150 , but that is in 6+ years. Now I know that these stats aren't always the most practical, but the fact that Desmond has very similar defensive values to Yuni I don't see the benefit of the trade for us.

Desmond had a rough year on d his first year as a starter, but made huge strides last year, and was regarded in the last 4 months of the year as one of the tp defensive ss, by his manager, Davey Johnson, at least.

I am not sure Marcum for these two would be wise for the Brewers, or that the Nats would give up Clippard, but I think it is a close call

was regarded in the last 4 months of the year as one of the tp defensive ss, by his manager, Davey Johnson, at least.

In a related note Yuni really wasnt that bad this past year!! (According to Doug Melvin)

Just messing with you, but you get the point. No manager is going to say that his starting SS for the next few years is a hack.

Do any of you guys think it'll be possible to pry A.J Cole from the Nats by trading Marcum and maybe another prospect?

PLEASE tell me you are joking. he has good strikeout numbers but how in the world is that a good deal. marcum is an above average major league starter at the very least. cole is a pretty good prospect but he is still probably 2-3 years away.

Do any of you guys think it'll be possible to pry A.J Cole from the Nats by trading Marcum and maybe another prospect?

PLEASE tell me you are joking. he has good strikeout numbers but how in the world is that a good deal. marcum is an above average major league starter at the very least. cole is a pretty good prospect but he is still probably 2-3 years away.

I'm not saying that the brewers should trade marcum for cole straight up, i'm asking if it would be possjble to have cole as a part of a package.

Let's not make the Marcum trade worse by giving him up for that.

Thanks for bringing that up.... yikes... I was trying really hard to make my self believe we just gave up a minor leaguer. Not that I hate Marcum. I think he's a solid pitcher. But I have little doubt that deal could go down as maybe the worst trade in Brewers history.

So the fact that Marcum was a big part in the most successful season in 30 years means nothing? Just the fact that we made the NLCS and Marcum was a very good pitcher for a very large portion of the year already disqualifies it as a horrible trade IMO. Now it may not be a great trade but it comes no where near the worst trade in history especially when you are basing that conclusion off of less than 1/2 a year of Brett Lawrie.

So the fact that Marcum was a big part in the most successful season in 30 years means nothing? Just the fact that we made the NLCS and Marcum was a very good pitcher for a very large portion of the year already disqualifies it as a horrible trade IMO. Now it may not be a great trade but it comes no where near the worst trade in history especially when you are basing that conclusion off of less than 1/2 a year of Brett Lawrie.
I don't get it either. Marcum was a great pitcher for the entire season minus the last few weeks and suddenly it was a terrible trade. Does that mean that trading for Yuni was great because he was pretty good in the playoffs, even though he sucked all season?
This is Jack Burton in the Pork Chop Express, and I'm talkin' to whoever's listenin' out there.

I don't get it either. Marcum was a great pitcher for the entire season minus the last few weeks and suddenly it was a terrible trade. Does that mean that trading for Yuni was great because he was pretty good in the playoffs, even though he sucked all season?

There were plenty of people who didn't like the trade at the time, fwiw. I didn't, & still don't, but I also like Marcum.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

There were plenty of people who didn't like the trade at the time, fwiw. I didn't, & still don't, but I also like Marcum.

I get that. But I'm talking about the people who say it's a terrible trade just because he struggled at the end of the year. We most likely wouldn't have made the playoffs without him so I still think it was a good trade. I was on the fence when the trade happened (even though I was a big Marcum fan) because I thought Lawrie would be a stud. But without that trade, I don't think we get Greinke and we don't make the playoffs.
This is Jack Burton in the Pork Chop Express, and I'm talkin' to whoever's listenin' out there.

I liked the Marcum deal at first, because I thought Lawrie was overhyped. It's looking bad at this point, but I'm not going to call the talk radio shows complaining. Hindsight is 20/20. It will probably take another 5 years before we can pass final judgment on this trade.

Archived