Brewer Fanatic

Sheeter?

It's time to start my obligatory annual thread to discuss the merits (or lack thereof) of bringing Benny back into the fold. Assuming that he wants to play and is ready to give it a go come February, would you throw him a NRI? Obviously, as we stand now the rotation for next year is set 1 through 5- but a lot can happen between now and April.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
After all the Brewers never, ever have had success with reclamation projects under Melvin....

I didn't indicate that they haven't.

But let me ask it this way.

If Sheets were not an ex-Brewer, would we still see the amount of interest in bringing him in as there is? Let's take sentimentality out of the equation.

Let's take sentimentality out of the equation.
We are. Sheets has a ton of talent, is still relatively young at 33, and has had some arm troubles lately. He is probably done as a starter but could potentially thrive in a late-inning bullpen role. If he signs for a low price and it works great, if not, oh well. I could care less if he was an ex-Brewer or not, he could be a low risk high reward type of guy and they are exactly the types of players the team should be looking at. You seem like you would be upset even if the Brewers offered him a minor league deal.

Sure there is sentimentality involved, but everyone here watched Sheets at his peak. Only three years ago, he started the all star game. It's probably less than 50/50 that he will even try to play again and even then maybe a ten to one chance that he will pitch effectively. That said, if he's willing to come to camp for little or no risk, why not give him a shot? You may catch lightning in a bottle. If nothing else, you bring him back to the fold and allow him to retire as a Brewer. I wouldn't throw away money like the Rangers have done with Brandon Webb, but if Sheets is willing to take a non-guaranteed NRI, what is the harm? I'd give an NRI to anyone with Sheets' track record.

You can never have too much talent. If bringing Ben Sheets back represents an upgrade because of what he can presently do, it's an effort worth making.

Unfortunately, I wonder if this may be an altogether moot point because, remembering his departure, the bridges may already be burned beyond repair.

I agree with MNBrew. As much as we want him back, we burned Sheets and JJ's bridges. They are not coming back until we replace the front office.

The poster previously known as Robin19, now @RFCoder

EA Sports...It's in the game...until we arbitrarily decide to shut off the server.

If it comes down to the Brewers being the only interested team in Sheets for a NRI, I think Sheets would get over whatever slight he felt the team was responsible for. Maybe at that time he considered the bridge burned, but I doubt Sheets, at the age of 33, would hold such a grudge that he would rather retire than pitch for the Brewers in the majors again. With his injury history, it may just come to this.

If it comes down to the Brewers being the only interested team in Sheets for a NRI, I think Sheets would get over whatever slight he felt the team was responsible for. Maybe at that time he considered the bridge burned, but I doubt Sheets, at the age of 33, would hold such a grudge that he would rather retire than pitch for the Brewers in the majors again. With his injury history, it may just come to this.

Yes and you are basing this on the Brewers being the only interested team. If Sheets can pitch (big if there) and for a NRI, most teams would be in on him. He would not choose the Brewers. He probably bases his injuries on being overworked by the Brewers.

Archived