Brewer Fanatic

DH's that CAN'T play 1B

Ortiz is a guy who hasn't played 1B because he's been too big a liability in the field. Vlad has never played a big-league game at 1B, in fact he's only played two career games in CF, one in LF... compared to 1,607 games in RF! I wonder if he'd have any interest in learning a new position at this stage in his career. I think if I were him, I'd rather just find a DH job somewhere.

But I do like the question, I think it's a worthwhile thing to explore if you don't have Gamel in the mix for 1B next season for whatever reasons. Looking at MLBTradeRumors' '12 FA list, Kubel's young enough that he could probably handle the transition to 1B full-time (another guy who's never played there), but his offense isn't anything Gamel couldn't produce. Iirc Carlos Guillen played some 1B for the Tigers. Matsui's knees dictate he's DH-only, Thome is like Ortiz in that his defense long ago is what got him moved to DH, Posada would probably retire if he didn't return with the Yankees, & Wily Mo Pena falls into the same category as Kubel for me.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Archived