Brewer Fanatic

Braves Open To Trading Jurrjens, Prado

The fact that the Braves want Cain AND Myers in the deal to even

consider it makes me think that they wouldn't even entertain the thought

of taking a straight up trade for Hart.

I thought that deal included Prado too?

Yes, because they are trying to trade both together. I'm just saying that it seems they want prospects for them, or young players. Not someone like Hart. We don't have young OFs of that quality to matchup in a trade with them. Plus, I really don't think Melvin is looking to trade on of the best bats left on his roster for a starting pitcher. My guess is that starting pitcher is his last priority at this point.
Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

Morosi's latest tweet just confirmed my suspicions. He said Atlanta's main concern is slashing payroll, so they want young, cheap outfielders. Hart doesn't fit that bill at all. Not gonna happen.

Gindl, Gamel, and Schaeffer though do fit that bill. I certainly don't see Lo Cain as being a significantly better prospect than Schaeffer. Personally I wouldn't trade Gindl or Gamel and I'm not all that interested in Jurggens anyways

Yeah, we do have somewhat similar prospects I guess. I just don't think we'd wanna take on the extra $10 million in salary though. We'd likely wanna trade Hart as other people said, so we wouldn't add salary. That trade won't happen. Now they're saying the Rockies might get in the discussion with Fowler and Blackmon. They offered Jurrjens and Prado for Cain and Myers. Not sure what the equivalent of that is for the Brewers. It would be tempting though if we could match it, which I'm not sure if we can. We'd have to give up on Prince, and wouldn't really have any other flexibility for other areas unless we traded someone like Hart in a separate trade.

Morosi's latest tweet just confirmed my suspicions. He said Atlanta's main concern is slashing payroll, so they want young, cheap outfielders. Hart doesn't fit that bill at all. Not gonna happen.

Pingman actually posted this exact thing earlier in this thread.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Pingman actually posted this exact thing earlier in this thread.

Well, no one seemed to listen. Thought I'd post that an expert said that to get through to people. But everyone keeps thinking the Braves want Hart, when he's exactly the contract they don't want. I'm just trying to get people to understand that a trade for anything but prospects isn't happening.

Many of the proposals in this thread have been fairly unrealistic.

I don't like when people say stuff like because it's all based on perception. Some people would jump at Jurrjens for Hart and some people wouldn't even consider it because they think Jurrjens is on his way down. If Atlanta is trying to dump salary you have to think they'd accept a little less for Jurrjens. Myers had a bit of down year in AA and Atlanta might be asking for more because he's not considered major league ready. Corey Hart obviously doesn't have that problem. He's a two time all star who hit 26 home runs last season. While people usually overvalue their own guys, sometimes they undervalue them to. Beside, just because Atlanta is asking for Cain and Myers doesn't mean they are going to get them.

Apparently the Braves last year offered Beachy for Cain and Jurrjens for Lawrie but we turned them both down. I wouldn't have done the Jurrjens but I don't understand why they didn't pull the trigger on Beachy. Greinke was good this year but Beachy was pretty damn good as well. Obviously you didn't really know what to expect from Beachy but he was still a highly regarded prospect. If we did that trade and the Marcum trade, we wouldn't have been stuck with Yuni and would've had a good fielding SS. We'd also still have Odorizzi ready to come up in a year or two and Jeffress in the pen. I would've preferred to have Beachy, Escobar, Odorizzi, and Jeffress over Greinke and Yuni.
This is Jack Burton in the Pork Chop Express, and I'm talkin' to whoever's listenin' out there.

Fwiw, here's how it was written -- "Many of the same names were in play in the Braves-Brewers talks — Beachy-for-Cain was discussed, as was Jurrjens-for-Brett Lawrie. But, ultimately, the teams could not agree and Cain went to the Royals in the Zack Greinke deal."

That could mean that the Braves were the ones who said no, we'll never know for sure I guess.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Apparently the Braves last year offered Beachy for Cain and Jurrjens for Lawrie but we turned them both down. I wouldn't have done the Jurrjens but I don't understand why they didn't pull the trigger on Beachy. Greinke was good this year but Beachy was pretty damn good as well. Obviously you didn't really know what to expect from Beachy but he was still a highly regarded prospect. If we did that trade and the Marcum trade, we wouldn't have been stuck with Yuni and would've had a good fielding SS. We'd also still have Odorizzi ready to come up in a year or two and Jeffress in the pen. I would've preferred to have Beachy, Escobar, Odorizzi, and Jeffress over Greinke and Yuni.
I don't see Melvin holding onto Fielder or trading for Greinke if the Brewers would have gotten Beachy for Cain. To me that is more of a building for the next waive of prospects versus going for it this year. So in that scenario the Brewers have nearly all of their prospects. I still think Lawrie would have been traded but for something else than Marcum maybe a starting pitching prospect.

I don't see Melvin holding onto Fielder or trading for Greinke if the Brewers would have gotten Beachy for Cain. To me that is more of a building for the next waive of prospects versus going for it this year. So in that scenario the Brewers have nearly all of their prospects. I still think Lawrie would have been traded but for something else than Marcum maybe a starting pitching prospect.
Well the Marcum trade happened first. And once they did that, I figure they probably decided they were going to keep Prince. Maybe the Braves turned down the Beachy trade or maybe the Brewers already had the Greinke trade in the works and preferred him. Personally, all else being equal, I would've preferred to just trade Cain for Beachy if that was indeed an option. But I guess we don't know for sure.
This is Jack Burton in the Pork Chop Express, and I'm talkin' to whoever's listenin' out there.

Archived