Brewer Fanatic

Would Braun be better suited in RF?

CheezWizHed
1) You don't get an error when you make a bad throw unless you throw it into the stands, which is REALLY hard to do for a LF.

2) Guys don't run on Hart as much as they do on Braun

3) Have you watched Braun throw? (an extreme example, but.... yeah... he didn't get an error for that throw!)

4) At least 3 of Braun's assists were on balls he misjudged and made diving catches on, doubling guys off.

Oh, another example...

I said this before, Braun will make some horrible stupid throws but will also make great throws sometimes, like here. I cannot recall one excellent throw to the plate from Hart, ever. Infact, Hart only has 2 assists at home in his entire career!

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Why would having fewer balls go to Braun be better? Didn't the discussion in the Gold Glove thread seem to point to Braun actually being one of the better LF'ers as far as fielding goes?

The assumption (at least on my part) is that Braun does a good job with the balls he can get to, but limited range means he gets to less balls. Basically the YB principle...

You don't get an error when you make a bad throw unless you throw it into the stands, which is REALLY hard to do for a LF.

I would imagine you would get an error any time the throw allows a runner to advance. It would seem that a LF should have more throwing errors than a RF, because a bad throw to 2B would allow the runner to go to third, while on a misthrow from RF to 2B the ball would end up being near 3B, making it tougher for the runner to advance.

But your point it taken. An OF can make a pretty bad throw, and as long as no one moves up, there is no error, while a bad throw from an IF often ends up being an error.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

I remember earlier this year Hart had to make a throw from shallow RF and it barely made it past the infield dirt before it bounced. His arm is awful.

Are you just basing this off one bad throw? Hart's arm isn't awful, it's probably about average or below-avg. for RF. That -1 rating that JET posted (assuming 0 is neutral) seems about accurate imo.

Yeah, that's just ridiculous. Maybe he was trying to hit the cutoff guy.

Either way, Hart's arm is not awful. Not sure why there has to be so much exaggeration on these boards to make a point. Hart's got a decent arm. It's stronger than it is s accurate, but it's not great at either. Braun's definitely got a stronger arm and he "goes for it," more it seems in terms of do or die type plays, so his assists may be higher, but his arm certainly isn't elite either.

But the whole, "I watched this one game and this happened, so this player obviously is awful at this," line of arguing is just painful to listen to. It just wreaks of a bar conversation by fringe fans who watch now and then and LOVE to complain about everything.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

Archived