Brewer Fanatic

Mike Quade Out as Chicago Cubs Manager

The cubs fans would freak if Ryno was given the Cards reins.
Not all of us. A lot of people wanted Sandberg to manage the Cubs this past season. The results would have been no different. Ryne may be a good manager some day but we need someone to come in and kick ass NOW. I wish him well unless he goes to the Cards.

One of the names being thrown around for our manager is Mike Maddux. (Would that bother you guys as much as Sveum?) Anyway, reason being that maybe he could talk his little brother into being his pitching coach. Now THAT would make for an awesome combination.

"the rise of the Cubs is coinciding with the fall of the Cardinals"????

Did I miss something? Has Pujols signed elsewhere? Did Berkman retire? Did Wainwright have a setback?

Provided they re-sign Pujols, there won't be one expert that won't pick the Cardinals to win the division next year.

The Cardinals could lose half their team and a lot of 'experts' would pick them just because they won it this year.

Certainly no reason to think the Cardinals aren't in the mix of playoff teams though, even if Pujols walks they have to be a consideration.

Not all of us. A lot of people wanted Sandberg to manage the Cubs this past season. The results would have been no different. Ryne may be a good manager some day but we need someone to come in and kick ass NOW. I wish him well unless he goes to the Cards.

One of the names being thrown around for our manager is Mike Maddux. (Would that bother you guys as much as Sveum?) Anyway, reason being that maybe he could talk his little brother into being his pitching coach. Now THAT would make for an awesome combination.

I think Maddux would make a pretty good manager. I think a lot of the Rangers pitching success should be attributed to Maddux. He basically did the same thing there that he did here, taking guys with average success in the past and turning them into pretty damn good pitchers (Doug Davis, all the closers we had, CJ Wilson, Colby Lewis).
This is Jack Burton in the Pork Chop Express, and I'm talkin' to whoever's listenin' out there.

He's a player-friendly coach, and if anyone could get Zambrano to stop punching other players on the team, he may be the guy.
It's kind of sad that a sentence like the one above even exists, but otherwise it's hilarious.
Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

The Cubs interviewed Francona today, it would be hilarious if they picked him as the manager but also not surprising.

Why would it be hilarious? Francona is a very good manager. He had to fall on the sword this year, but if that team has fewer injuries or wins one more game, the Red Sox make the playoffs and he's still the manager.

Personally, I'd be bothered if anyone with ties to the Brewers under DM ends up in the Cubs or Cardinals jobs. Both Mike and Dale have shown themselves to be very good at what they do, and they're people I would like to be able to root for....from a comfortable distance. It was one thing when Cecil Cooper was managing a sinking Houston team, but would be quite another if one of our guys ends up some place where there's a legitimate plan / talent base.

I want to be able to not like the Cubs Manager; would it be possible Dusty Baker to manage 2 teams in the same division at the same time?

The Cubs interviewed Francona today, it would be hilarious if they picked him as the manager but also not surprising.

Why would it be hilarious? Francona is a very good manager. He had to fall on the sword this year, but if that team has fewer injuries or wins one more game, the Red Sox make the playoffs and he's still the manager.

Oh I know he's a good manager, which is why I hope he doesnt land a job in the NL Central. It's funny cause Theo fired him, and now he may go rehire him again lol.

I don't think you should use the word "we" here. The general perception I'm getting on local radio (I live in Chicago) is that everyone understands its going to be a few years before the Cubs compete again. They wont judge the new manager on if they kick butt NOW at all.

I'm not so sure that Francona is that great. Anyone should be able to have some success managing a team with a huge payroll. Replace Philly and Boston on his resume with Pittsburgh and Kansas City, and he's probably not looking so hot. It sounds like that clubhouse in Boston was in chaos last year. Let the Cubbies have him.

Different managers have different strengths and weaknesses. For all his faults, Roenicke seems good at maintaining a good clubhouse atmosphere and the players like him without running over him. That appears to be Francona's weakness. It's easy to have the players "like" you if you just let them do whatever you want, but it's easy to lose the team unless you have some very good team leaders who control it for you. I can't imagine guys like Schilling would have allowed the pitchers to do what this year's staff was up to. Without vocal team leaders, Francona's weaknesses may come to the forefront.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

I don't think you should use the word "we" here. The general perception I'm getting on local radio (I live in Chicago) is that everyone understands its going to be a few years before the Cubs compete again. They wont judge the new manager on if they kick butt NOW at all.

Instead of kick ass, I should have said "take charge and take control." I really wasn't referring to a Mike Ditkaesque kick ass guy. That is the furthest thing from what today's players need on the bench. (With the exception of Zambrano who really does need someone to kick his ass!) Whether or not his brother comes with Mike Maddux is an intrigueing choice as I'm not sure there has ever been a successful pitcher/pitching coach as a manager. Roger Craig certainly wasn't, Larry Rothschild failed at it, jury still out on Bud Black. Can you guys think of one?

EDIT: All right I found 1 - but Dallas Green has a limited body of work as a manager. Finished out 1 season, Took the Phillies to a WS title in 1980, then a 1981 split season in which they finished 1st in the first half. No more managing after that.

Instead of kick ass, I should have said "take charge and take control." I really wasn't referring to a Mike Ditkaesque kick ass guy. That is the furthest thing from what today's players need on the bench. (With the exception of Zambrano who really does need someone to kick his ass!) Whether or not his brother comes with Mike Maddux is an intrigueing choice as I'm not sure there has ever been a successful pitcher/pitching coach as a manager. Roger Craig certainly wasn't, Larry Rothschild failed at it, jury still out on Bud Black. Can you guys think of one?

EDIT: All right I found 1 - but Dallas Green has a limited body of work as a manager. Finished out 1 season, Took the Phillies to a WS title in 1980, then a 1981 split season in which they finished 1st in the first half. No more managing after that.

I read it as a guy who wants to win now. Thanks for clarifying you meant it as a disciplinarian. I'm torn, with young guys sometimes thats a good thing, sometimes you want a guy who can relate to them too and make the game fun.

Archived