Brewer Fanatic

Mike Quade Out as Chicago Cubs Manager

I'm very fearful of a turnaround coming in the next few years for the Chicago Cubs. Epstein and Jed Hoyer are very bright baseball minds and are very skilled with technology. They're very serious about turning this thing around and understand where their place in MLB history will be if/when they win a World Series for both Boston and Chicago. With more resources and more intelligent minds running the show, the Cubs should pass the Brewers in no-time in the division. Our window is down to one year...let's see what we can do this off-season.

Amazing isn't it that Sveum is now the hottest candidate out there. He must have impressed everyone with those scouting reports every night on the opposing pitcher.

Seriously, if there's a guy on the Brewer coaching staff I think would make a great manager its Ed Sedar. There's definitely discrimination in baseball against good guys.

In other news, the Cardinals, that's right the Cardinals, asked the Phillies for permission to interview Ryne Sandberg. (That minor earthquake in Arizona was Ron Santo spinning in his grave). Guess that ends the chances of Ryno getting a statue outside of Wrigley.

Our window is down to one year

The Cubs are nowhere near being serious contenders after just one more season. Nor should any other team's "window" affect what a good GM does.

Our window is open a crack. If Fielder walks, and they don't bring in Reyes, it's officially closed.

Community Moderator

Sveum managing Prince Fielder on the Cubs? Maybe I should just switch allegiances. Hopefully that doesn't happen. But it was only a matter of time before the Cubs put someone competent in charge.

With the type of payroll leverage that Epstein has, he could easily turn the Cubs into a playoff contender in 2012. They do not have to go through a 5-year rebuild like a small market, it is very easy to get a .500 team through free agency, and he already has a decent core in place. But I also do not think it affects the Brewers' window, because the rise of the Cubs is coinciding with the fall of the Cardinals.

Yeah, I'd be lying if I said Epstein doesn't scare me in the long term. There's no way they'll be very good next year, but with that kind of market, it seems like it was only a matter of the time before they hired some competent personnel. Let's just hope this is more of the Crawford/Lackey Epstein than the smart one.

"the rise of the Cubs is coinciding with the fall of the Cardinals"????

Did I miss something? Has Pujols signed elsewhere? Did Berkman retire? Did Wainwright have a setback?

Provided they re-sign Pujols, there won't be one expert that won't pick the Cardinals to win the division next year.

Our window is down to one year

The Cubs are nowhere near being serious contenders after just one more season. Nor should any other team's "window" affect what a good GM does.

Our window is open a crack. If Fielder walks, and they don't bring in Reyes, it's officially closed.

Total hyperbole. Assuming Gamel/Green take over and we find a competent defense and/or offensive SS, we should still be very much in the running next year. I know you don't like Greinke or Marcum but they are good pitchers. Pitching is the key and I think we'll still have enough next year.
This is Jack Burton in the Pork Chop Express, and I'm talkin' to whoever's listenin' out there.

The Cubs are still in the "hangover" years after signing big contracts to aging vets while trying to win the World Series a few years back. They'll be down for a while, but absolutely have the resources to begin turning around fairly quickly. I can't imagine the Cubs fan base will stand by waiting for the team to build through the draft like Brewers fans had to do while waiting for Fielder, Weeks, etc. We'll probably see Epstein make some big signings to improve the team on the field this year. I really think they'll make a big play for Fielder or Pujols to give the fans something to cheer about while the teams rebuilds.

A lineup containing Pujols/Fielder, Ramirez, Castro, Byrd and Soriano should score some runs. If Zambrano could somehow get back to his 23-year-old form, and Epstein finds a way to bring in another pitcher to complement Dempster and Garza, they could even have a decent rotation. I don't expect the Cubs to be a good team next year, but it's not like we're talking about rebuilding by trading away the MLB roster and waiting 5 or 6 years for prospects to develop, like we had to do. Someone like Sveum may actually be a good manager for them. He's a player-friendly coach, and if anyone could get Zambrano to stop punching other players on the team, he may be the guy.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Archived