Brewer Fanatic

Provus Accepts Twins Lead Radio Position (reply #39)

FIPS133

Anybody shocked by this? I certainly am not...if he doesn't get this it provides all we need to know about his committment to the Brewers. Is it an move upwards, you bet, but the end of the line with Uke is certainly in the offing, why not wait it out or wait for the next Cubs opening?

http://www.startribune.com/sports/twins/blogs/133030398.html

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm pretty sure he'd rather just take the promotion than wait for Uecker to retire. Even so, he could sign a shorter contract or something and come back to Milwaukee in the future. I'd like to see him stick around, but I doubt it'll happen if he gets offered the Twins job.
Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

Community Moderator
Mark A. has shown that he takes the announcer hires very seriously. I have full confidence that he would be able to find a suitable replacement. It isn't that difficult to find someone better than 3/4 of all MLB announcers.

Yeah I agree. Shouldn't be hard to find a good replacement. Most of the announcers on both TV and radio are complete garbage. I'd be more worried about replacing BA than I am about replacing Provus. Bill is horrible and BA makes up for it. We still have Ueck on the radio, so it's ok there.
Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

Bill is not horrible, he forced to stay eternally positive about the Brewers. BA is good for a play-by-play guy but he still cant judge a fly ball to save his life, anything hit to where the outfielders are standing is "well hit" because his voice went up off the bat thinking the ball was long gone.

I for one am sick of Provus laughing too much every time Uek ever says anything.

Provus has been great, but he would be foolish not to take the lead job in Minnesota.

Target Field would be one amazing office to work from for half of your games. Best of luck to Corey, and I hope if he does move on, WTMJ can mine out another good one.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I'm surprisingly bummed at the thought of Cory moving on. Though I like his work, it's not like he's been with the Brewers long enough to become an institution. It makes me wonder, not rationally, if the Brewers are going to lose a PBP guy every time they make the postseason.

I also wonder how common it will be going forward for teams to have the same announcer for a long time. It's certainly no longer the norm for players to stick with one franchise, or (more broadly) most anyone to stay with the same employer of any sort for a whole career anymore. It could be once we're past the generation of Uecker and his contemporaries, everyone will switch often. Sigh.

If Provus does leave this offseason, I'll have a few fond memories, among them:

1. His frequent use of the word "aforementioned." I just don't hear that much in conversation anymore, besides from Cory.

2. His affinity for calling the incoming pitcher "the new chucker."

3. On the night of the NL Central clinch, I happened to turn around in my loge seat just in time to see Cory watching the monitor to his left and pumping his fist excitedly. That is how I found out about the Soriano HR that put the Cubs ahead of STL and made the clinch possible that night.

I'll also hope that whoever succeeds Cory, whether this offseason or in a future one, is more interested in reaching out to fans and fansites, as Jim Powell did with Brewerfan and still does with Braves fans via Twitter.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

On the radio side I believe we have been blessed with excellent people next to Uke. Pat Hughes, Jim P. and Cory. I hope the next hire will live up to the standards. Listening to so many other broadcasts through MLB app and Sat radio make me appreciate what we have. There are really boring/bad radio announcers in other cities.

Jeff Cirillo for the next person either on the radio or on TV please.

Rillo would have to be a color guy, he doesn't have the chops to do play by play. I can't believe people don't like Cory, and don't like BA, it really makes me wonder if you've ever watched a national broadcast and listened to a guy like Joe Buck & McCarver, or if you've watched any other teams local guys. We truly are blessed with really good play by play guys in Milwaukee.

And to finish... "Back, Track, Wall, Gone."

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

hawing wrote:
I also wonder how common it will be going forward for teams to have the same announcer for a long time. It's certainly no longer the norm for players to stick with one franchise, or (more broadly) most anyone to stay with the same employer of any sort for a whole career anymore. It could be once we're past the generation of Uecker and his contemporaries, everyone will switch often. Sigh.
I think it has more to do with the fact that Uecker (and to some extent Schroeder) are the #1 guys. Our #2 guys leave to go become #1 guys elsewhere. We get new #2 guys until they get #1 jobs elsewhere.

The poster previously known as Robin19, now @RFCoder

EA Sports...It's in the game...until we arbitrarily decide to shut off the server.

If the biggest complaints about Provus is that he laughs at Uecker too much and has an odd way of pronouncing "Gonzalez," then I think he's done a fine job.

Since I don't live in Wisconsin any more and haven't subscribed to the MLB radio package in a couple years, I'm not very familiar with his skills, but from the little I have heard, I think Provus has done a very good job. The Brewers are fortunate to have a good set of announcers, both on radio and TV.

Not sure Anderson will leave because I'm not sure how many other teams will allow a guy to leave to do national broadcasts every weekend. Minneapolis is a huge market so you'd think the commercials will pay a lot more there.

Minneapolis isn't all that big. There are 14 larger markets in MLB representing 18 teams and most of them are significantly larger. Furthermore, the 2nd and 3rd largest markets in Minnesota, Duluth and St. Cloud combined are smaller than Madison. Throw in Appleton, Wausau, and Green Bay and there are 4 markets besides Milwaukee in Wisconsin larger than the 2nd largest in Minnesota. That's not even mentioning the 3rd largest market in the US is within listening range of WTMJ and there are Brewer fans down here.

Milwaukee is part of a megalopolis that stretches basically from Kankakee, IL on the south to Green Bay on the north that's essentially the 3rd largest in the nation.

Archived