Brewer Fanatic

4 Brewers free agents are ranked

PrinceEatMeat

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/132938198.html

Elias has their ranking out. Prince, K-Rod, and Saito are all Type A. Yuni is Type B. Pretty crazy that we'd get compensation for Yuni. Saito's doesn't matter unfortunately because it's in his contract that he can't be offered arby.
Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

Saito's doesn't matter unfortunately because it's in his contract that he can't be offered arby.

All the more reason to re-sign Saito. I'd love to have him back on the same contract we got him for this year.

I'd be scared offering arby to Yuni. He probably won't get a $4.8MM+ deal from someone else, so we'd probably get stuck with him again.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

With two type A guys & one type B, I hope the Brewers can come away with three to four high draft picks. Unfortunately, what I expect is Prince to sign with a team whose first-round pick is protected, & getting a comp pick as the highest pick via Fielder leaving in free agency.

Is the worst-case scenario for the Brewers from Fielder/K-Rod/Betancourt two comp picks/two comp picks/one comp pick? I don't remember exactly what Type A & B guys get you, in terms of draft pick compensation.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

With two type A guys & one type B, I hope the Brewers can come away with three to four high draft picks. Unfortunately, what I expect is Prince to sign with a team whose first-round pick is protected, & getting a comp pick as the highest pick via Fielder leaving in free agency.

Is the worst-case scenario for the Brewers from Fielder/K-Rod/Betancourt two comp picks/two comp picks/one comp pick? I don't remember exactly what Type A & B guys get you, in terms of draft pick compensation.

Technically worst case would be someone in the bottom half signing guys ranked ahead of Fielder/KRod. So say the Cubs signed CC, Prince, and KRod. Then the Yankees would get 2nd round for CC and we'd get 3rd/4th round for Prince/KRod (plus the sandwich picks). Obviously that's not entirely realistic but a bottom half team could sign Prince which would result in a 2nd round. And a team could conceivably sign KRod and someone rated higher than him, in which case we'd get a 2nd or even 3rd round pick only. And worst-case with Yuni is offering him arby and having him accept.
This is Jack Burton in the Pork Chop Express, and I'm talkin' to whoever's listenin' out there.

I have this awful feeling the Brewers won't offer arby to K-Rod. I see no reason not to but I'm just worried that the Brewers are going to play it overly safe with their finances. I'd be ok with the 4 extra picks. 2 for Fielder and 2 for K-Rod.

What is K-Rod's estimated arbitration amount? $12, $13 million? If it is in that range I think it is a Win-Win scenario to offer him arby. We already owe him $4 million for a buyout. So, if he accepts arbitration the incremental cost would be $8 to $9 million? In my opinion that would be worth it for him; he was dominant in the 8th inning. I think it would be well worth it if he came back at that price. Of course, the odds are that he wouldn't even accept it, in which case the Brewers get compensation picks.

I think we have to pay K-Rod the $4M plus what he might get in arbitration. It carries a small risk to offer arbitration, but one I think we should take. Having a lock down bullpen all year (remember all the games we had to use Loe early in the year?) should make 2012 a fun one.

The poster previously known as Robin19, now @RFCoder

EA Sports...It's in the game...until we arbitrarily decide to shut off the server.

I just meant that paying him $13M next year (like Polish suggested) meant paying the $4M buyout (that you pointed out is actually coming from the Mets) plus $13M out of our pocket.

The poster previously known as Robin19, now @RFCoder

EA Sports...It's in the game...until we arbitrarily decide to shut off the server.

Technically worst case would be someone in the bottom half signing guys ranked ahead of Fielder/KRod. So say the Cubs signed CC, Prince, and KRod. Then the Yankees would get 2nd round for CC and we'd get 3rd/4th round for Prince/KRod (plus the sandwich picks). Obviously that's not entirely realistic but a bottom half team could sign Prince which would result in a 2nd round. And a team could conceivably sign KRod and someone rated higher than him, in which case we'd get a 2nd or even 3rd round pick only. And worst-case with Yuni is offering him arby and having him accept.

Thanks for addressing my questions. Am I remembering correctly that type A FAs always net at least two sandwich-round picks (after the first & second rounds)? Or do even teams with protected 1st-round picks also still lose their 2nd-rounders, in addition to the departing FA's former team netting two sandwich-round picks? So like for your K-Rod example -- wouldn't the Brewers still get a pair of sandwich picks too, regardless of the protection (or priority to other signed FAs) of a team's picks?

I guess my larger point is that even if the Brewers wind up with a worst-case scenario with their type A & B FAs, [insert re-signing Betancourt joke here], they'll still get quite a haul of draft picks. This is a really critical offseason for the franchise, & I hope they don't opt for another 'all-in' type of season. This is a really special opportunity to retool for the future, & build around an already strong foundation for the next 5-10 seasons.
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Robin19]$4M buyout (that you pointed out is actually coming from the Mets)
I'm pretty sure that teams send over buyout money regardless if the team actually buys out a player. So that is all part of the big picture of the finances already.

So I wouldn't say that if we offer arby and KRod and he gets $13M that he only really cost us $9M, I would say he actually cost us $13M.

If they offered Betancourt arby and he accepted, the Brewers would wind up paying him more than the 6M option they declined, so I don't think he will be offered arbitration. Hopefully Prince goes to a team that will give the Brewers a first, not a second. K-Rod will likely go to a winner.

rawbecht wrote:

Thanks for addressing my questions. Am I remembering correctly that type A FAs always net at least two sandwich-round picks (after the first & second rounds)? Or do even teams with protected 1st-round picks also still lose their 2nd-rounders, in addition to the departing FA's former team netting two sandwich-round picks? So like for your K-Rod example -- wouldn't the Brewers still get a pair of sandwich picks too, regardless of the protection (or priority to other signed FAs) of a team's picks?

I guess my larger point is that even if the Brewers wind up with a worst-case scenario with their type A & B FAs, [insert re-signing Betancourt joke here], they'll still get quite a haul of draft picks. This is a really critical offseason for the franchise, & I hope they don't opt for another 'all-in' type of season. This is a really special opportunity to retool for the future, & build around an already strong foundation for the next 5-10 seasons.
The way I understand it:

--Type A - 1st round pick (if the team is in the top half of the standings) OR 2nd round pick (team in bottom half of standings) PLUS sandwich pick between 1st & 2nd round.

--Type B - Sandwich pick between 1st & 2nd round.

• 3 weeks later...
When do teams have to offer free agents arbitration by? Is it December 1st every year? It seems strange that Type A free agents can sign before that date. For instance, does Boston automatically get compensation from the Phils for Papelbon?

You don't have an Adam Wainwright. Easily the best gentlemen in all of sports. You don't have the amount of real good old American men like the Cardinals do. Holliday, Wainwright, Skip, Berkman those 4 guys are incredible people

GhostofQuantrill

Compensation is automatic if free agents sign before the date for offering arby. I'm not sure of the exact date, but it's in early December. The last CBA made it earlier than it used to be.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

Gotcha, thanks. We should be probably hearing some comments from DM soon about offering to KRod/Yuni. I predict Yes/No. We don't want Yuni to Graffanino us!

You don't have an Adam Wainwright. Easily the best gentlemen in all of sports. You don't have the amount of real good old American men like the Cardinals do. Holliday, Wainwright, Skip, Berkman those 4 guys are incredible people

GhostofQuantrill

Well Saito, KROD, Yuni, need to get going and sign quick! I don't see us offering any of them (Yuni and Saito would say yes.) except KRod since he does not want to be back and pitching set-up
Brewers already have an agreement with Saito they won't offer arby but they'll probably resign him anyway.
This is Jack Burton in the Pork Chop Express, and I'm talkin' to whoever's listenin' out there.

I'd say offering Prince arby is 100% certain. Offering K-Rod is 80%+ certain, as he's going to leave so that he can close. Offering Yuni is <20% likely, as he would end up with more money than he would have made if they just excercised his option. Offering Saito is 100% not going to happen due to contractual obligations.

Therefore, I see best case as two first rounders and 2 supplemental to go along with the Brewers' own draft picks. I'd add best case would also include the Brewers re-signing Saito.

I think there's a good shot one of those two picks could end up being a 2nd rounder. I also think the Brewers could sign a FA where they lose a first rounder. What are Barmes and Furcal ranked, as I think they're both possibilities for the Brewers next year?

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Archived