Brewer Fanatic

Casey Blake

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

One guy the Brewers could consider next year as a right handed bench/platoon type would be Casey Blake. I would see Blake playing mostly 1B, and possibly some 3B. This only works if the following occurs:

- The team goes with Gamel at 1B

- The team goes with Green at 3B

- The team feels Blake is fully recovered from last year's injuries

- The team feels he's still a decent player, even at age 38

- The team is comfortable with Blake as a 1B (he's only played a handful of games there, but a couple of things I've read seem to feel he wouldn't have much problem handling the position)

Blake is 38, so he's not a young guy. But he would fit in well as a right handed bat to platoon with Gamel at 1B, a backup at 3B and a pinch hitter.

His OPS the past few years against lefthanders is .780 in 2011 (but only 51 ABs, so not a big sample size), .895 in 2010, 1.005 in 2009.

He's shown the ability to hit lefties well, with last year being, by far, his worst showing, but with only 51 ABs. Perhaps he is washed up - I didn't really see him play in 2011, so I can't say. But I think he'd be a guy you could go with and get decent results if you limited him to a platoon role.

- The would allow the Brewers to limit Gamel's exposure to lefties, thus setting up Gamel to succeed in what would, undoubtedly, be a difficult year having to replace Prince.

- Blake shouldn't be too expensive - no more than a $1 million or $1.5 million.

- Gives the team a bench bat with a little pop from the right side. Not Russell Branyon pop, but the guy had 17 or more HR from 2003-10. Not too bad.

- Gives the team some 'veteran' presence, which RRR and Melvin seem to like.

- Since Blake could be the 'veteran' bench guy, it allows the team to add a younger guy - such as Gindl or Schafer as a back up outfielder

- Blake could inherit more playing time at either 1B or 3B if either of the rookies falters

I would also bring back Hairston, who could get a couple dozen starts at 3B against lefties, not to mention back up SS and 2B as needed. I think it would be an okay squad.

C - Lucroy and Kottaras/Maldanado

1B - Gamel

2B - Weeks

SS - FA/trade (I would like barmes, but the club has to sign someone or trade for someone)

3B - Green

IF - Hairston

1B/3B - Blake

LF - Braun

CF - Morgan/Gomez

RF - Hart

OF - Gindl/Shafer

I'm a bit wary of too many platoons, but I see it as a good safeguard for breaking in two rookie starters.

Also, Blake has to be healthy and the team has to feel he's still got something in the tank. And finally, they have to feel he's going to be decent at 1B. All are legit questions.

Blake does hit LHP well, and will likely come cheap. I've seen far worse ideas.
I like Blake if his back is healthy enough to hold up for about 60 starts next season. It seemed like he was on the verge of retirement with all of his injuries he had this year.
@WiscoSportsNut

Archived