Brewer Fanatic

Sveum interviews in Boston; Cubs & Cardinals soon as well?

panthernick

Who's Pip? (for us non-Milwaukeeans)

A horrible sportscaster for Channel 6 (I think? - or channel 4?). His full name is Tom Pippins. I believe he worked for ESPN in it's very early years. I'm not one to rip on announcers or sportscasters, but he is an exception.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

'Red Sox Nation' would absolutely revolt if this happened. From what I have heard, Sveum is pretty much universally detested there after his stint as third base coach.
That's exactly what I was thinking. I wonder if this is just one of those "courtesy" type interviews teams give to veteran coaches to give them a taste of what the process is like.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Who's Pip? (for us non-Milwaukeeans)

A horrible sportscaster for Channel 6 (I think? - or channel 4?). His full name is Tom Pippins. I believe he worked for ESPN in it's very early years. I'm not one to rip on announcers or sportscasters, but he is an exception.

He is terrible, which is a shame because Tim Van Vooren is actually quite good.

Svuem is also apparently in the mix for STL as well. I can't see that at all.
My first thought is, "don't go to the dark side, Dale!" My second thought is, "Unless, and only if, you can change the culture there."
Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

I'd be totally fine with him as the manager for the Cubs or Cardinals. I'm not really attached to the guy, so it wouldn't bother me at all to see him on a rival team. I doubt it'll be hard to find a comparable replacement as the team's hitting coach.

Plus, I don't think he's going to make a very good manager. From what I remember about his brief stint managing the Brewers, he's really into small-ball. He'll probably bunt more than Roenicke does, which would actually be helpful to us by slowing down a potent offense like St. Louis.

ANY thoughts who might be the new hitting coach.
Craig Counsell?

"Those that can't do, teach." Counsell made a lot out of a little in terms of getting the most out of his limited skills. Maybe he can teach others to maximize their potential as well.

To look at it another way, Rod Carew was a great hitter, but didn't have much success as our hitting coach.

One thing that worries me, albeit very slightly, about Sveum interviewing with the Cubs and/or Cards is the relationship between he and Fielder. Could hiring Dale as manager give a team an inside track on signing Prince?

• 2 weeks later...

Two updates on Twitter recently.

First is from Ken Rosenthal:

Source: #RedSox will conduct a second interview with at least one candidate in addition to Sveum.

and the other from Jon Heyman:

sveum has seemed like a favorite for the #redsox job from start. he wasnt a good 3b coach but hes great w/ players

Archived