Brewer Fanatic

Buster Olney says Sizemore to Rangers, Nats or Brewers

Mike
Sizemore would make a lot of sense if the Brewers and White Sox revisited the rumored Gamel for Thornton talks from the summer.

I thought it was more Gamel for Escobar centered talks...

Escobar was in those rumors but it started off with that Mr Fantasy guy saying Thornton was the centerpiece.

@WiscoSportsNut

Sizemore seems like an intriguing option to replace Kotsay as the primary backup OF/1b. I wouldn't dump Morgan to pick up Sizemore, given that Morgan at this moment is probably both cheaper and better. But Sizemore could get plenty of PT if he was willing to embrace the supersub role, and if he came back strong, he would likely force the team's hand to increase his role. Having both Sizemore and Hairston around could give the Brewers a lot of flexibility as they integrate Gamel and Green into the lineup.

So many on here are so quick to point to injuries or a bad year for a player as a reason they don't want to the Brewers to sign them/trade for them. This is still the Brewers, if Sizemore never was injured they wouldn't have a shot at getting him, they need to take some chances sometimes. They need a Lance Berkman who comes out of nowhere. The topic probably came up on here for Berkman last year and I would assume many said no thanks after the year he had. Turned out pretty well for the Cardinals.

I'm not saying Sizemore is the savior, but the Brewers sometimes have to take chances on these types of players. This is, of course, assuming they don't give him a crazy contract.
I agree 100 pct. Spending money on guys like Sizemore and Reyes are the smartest way to go. Either go big, or go short and hope for a superstar to return to his previous levels of play. Getting the 2nd or 3rd options and you're overpaying for guys. Reason #1 I wouldn't want Rollins to come to the Brewers for what he'd likely cost.
Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Yeah, Barmes isn't getting $7M per year. Maybe for 2 years.

Omar Infante, a guy with better stats than Barmes (and younger), got 2 years and $8 million as a 2nd baseman. That's a pretty good comparable to Barmes. Most predictions I read on Barmes was starting in the mid-$3 million area, topping out at $5 million.

I'd go $4 million. Maybe $4.5 million. Barmes is an average player. A big upgrade for us, but still average. I like him, but you shouldn't overpay for guys like this.

Houston said they probably won't sign him so they can save money.

Archived