Brewer Fanatic

CJ Wilson?

The Brewers have too many other holes to fill to spend this much money on a pitcher I think. You need to find solutions are three regular positions (first, third, short) and you need to fill a few bullpen spots. If this was post 2012 and three of your starters leave then I'd say go for it. But I don't think that the Brewers can spend that much money on a starter.

It's possible they could allocate $52 million or so to the rotation for one year. It would indicate they've soured on giving a long term big bucks deal to Greinke.

Or it could indicate they're trying to trade Wolf. Or Narveson. Or Marcum. They could also keep all of them and have an awesome rotation. Maybe Greinke has indicated he's not interested in an extension. There are any number of possibilities besides "souring on" Greinke, which you've made clear (in roughly 20 threads) is your opinion.

Wilson wouldn't be my first FA option, but if you're not at least kicking the tires on every free agent, you're not doing your job as a GM.

chuckiehacks wrote:

Wilson wouldn't be my first FA option, but if you're not at least kicking the tires on every free agent, you're not doing your job as a GM.

This. I don't want a 32 year old lefty signed to a 5 year deal, but it would never hurt to look and see what he's being offered and try and low ball him.

from MLB rumors:

Folks seem to think the Nationals are going to make [a] big play for C.J. Wilson," tweets Jon Heyman from Sports Illustrated. Heyman thinks the Nats will offer Wilson a contract worth around $75-80MM. In August, MLBTR's Tim Dierkes

thought Wilson could fetch a $100MM deal this winter given the lack of

quality starters in the free agent market, but Wilson's postseason

struggles will probably prevent him from that nine-figure contract.

I think the Nats seem to be players for every major free agent. Why wouldn't they? They've got holes to fill, and could be better very quickly!

The Nats are getting to be a pretty interesting team. A healthy Strasburg and Jordan Zimmerman along with one more front-line guy would be pretty impressive.

The Brewers have too many other holes to fill to spend this much money on a pitcher I think. You need to find solutions are three regular positions (first, third, short) and you need to fill a few bullpen spots. If this was post 2012 and three of your starters leave then I'd say go for it. But I don't think that the Brewers can spend that much money on a starter.

We have in house solutions at first and third with Gamel and Green. Gamel is obviously a big step down from Fielder but he shouldn't be bad. Green at third (or a Green/McGehee platoon) will make up for some of what we lose at first. SS is a big hole but there's just not a lot available right there.

There's no need and not much benefit to giving a vote of confidence right now.

The point is that if the Brewers wanted to spend on the FA market, they can do so by going with in house options at 1B and 3B at the minimum.

The point is that if the Brewers wanted to spend on the FA market,

they can do so by going with in house options at 1B and 3B at the

minimum.

I understand that. The other poster just made it sound like Green and Gamel were set at third and first base respectively and we didn't need to worry about those positions. Nothing anyone in the organization has said or done has ever indicated that though.

from MLB rumors:

Folks seem to think the Nationals are going to make [a] big play for C.J. Wilson," tweets Jon Heyman from Sports Illustrated. Heyman thinks the Nats will offer Wilson a contract worth around $75-80MM. In August, MLBTR's Tim Dierkes thought Wilson could fetch a $100MM deal this winter given the lack of quality starters in the free agent market, but Wilson's postseason struggles will probably prevent him from that nine-figure contract.
I would much rather see a 5/80 contract given to Greinke at age 28 than to Wilson who is 32 and has shown only 2 years of being a abover average starter in the bigs.

Archived