Brewer Fanatic

Wilson, DiFelice outrighted; Maysonet signed to AAA deal

JohnBriggs12

MLB traderumors reporting that Josh Wilson and Mark DiFelice were outrighted to AAA. No surprise there.

Edwin Maysonet was signed to a new AAA contract with an invite to spring training. By middle infield standards, Maysonet's season at Nashville of .290/.347/.386, is certainly worthy of a longshot chance to make roster in utility role.

Yeah, depending on how the SS position plays out this offseason, Maysonet could sneak in as the defensive utility guy, especially if we land a durable everyday SS. If we got a guy like Jamey Carroll, we'd probably want to get a better backup. Either way, Maysonet is much needed depth for an organization that is very thin on talent at the SS position.

No surprise on Wilson. I just wonder if the team will give him a share of the playoff money. I feel bad about DiFelice just because he seemed to have promise a few years back. Too bad he couldn't have given us a few good years in the 'pen.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Fwiw, Maysonet's slash line last season (as mentioned in the MLBTR post), was .290/.347/.386. The line you posted there was his 2009 line with Houston.

Was he invited to 2011 ST? I can't remember.

Thanks TLB. I edited the original post.

Actually Maysonet played a lot in ST last year. He had as many AB's as Betancourt (50). He only hit .240 but I recall Uecker having some nice things to say about him.

Both were outrighted because Milwaukee had just one open spot on their 40-man

roster, and three players coming off the DL.

From the JS Brewers blog. That doesn't make sense, if Kintzler was on the 15 day, he didn't need to get added to the 40 man. And I thought the 40 man was previously full. It makes sense that Parra and Stetter replace DeFelice and Wilson. But the Brewerfan 40 man roster shows 41 and that's what I had figured too. But the offical website doesn't list Rogers on the 40 man. Was he dropped at some point and I missed it?

That head-count on the 40-man is all temporary anyway b/c in a few days, players will start filing for free agency. It becomes easier as needs arise to outright a player or 2 to the minors, or DFA someone, eventually non-tender one/more players, etc. (granted, other teams end up with openings, too, but ...). There will also need to be guys added to the protected 40-man. And the whole process continues all the way into Spring Training.

For the record, I was also wondering how I also came up w/ 41 rather than 40, but the Rogers explanation makes perfect sense.

It's at this time of the year that I'm glad there are people on this site who fullly understand all the quirky rules of baseball roster management :-)

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

It was a little disconcerting to read Ash commenting on Parra and Stetter as if they are in the plans for next season. Are they seriously considering offering either of these two arbitration? I know the argument you can't have enough pitching but how long do you keep trotting out guys who haven't been effective in years? Move on already. Neither of those two have a prayer of getting a major league deal on the open market. Why give either of them one, much less one that's above minimum wage?

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Neither of those two have a prayer of getting a major league deal on the open market.

I would disagree. LHP get a lot of chances. Especially the ones that throw over 90MPH.

I would think if they weren't going to offer arby, they would have non-tendered them already instead of making a 40-man spot for them.

Rogers doesn't count currently as he is suspended. Not sure if that changes at some point this off-season or not.
Refresh my memory, what happened? Did he see an opening in the organization after Jeffress left and seize the opportunity?

I have no problem going through arby with Parra and giving him a long look in Spring Training. He's been effective at times out of the bullpen, and even as a starter lo, those many years ago. If he's healthy he'll make the team.

Refresh my memory, what happened? Did he see an opening in the organization after Jeffress left and seize the opportunity?
http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/6878819/milwaukee-brewers-farmhand-mark-rogers-suspended-25-games

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

For all the chances the Brewers had to recall an IF this past year, the fact that Maysonet never made it to Milwaukee tells me he's AAA roster-filler and more than a step or two down the line in the contingency plans.

I've stated elsewhere that I'm hoping our two reserve IFs next year on any given day next year are Hairston (can play 2B, SS, 3B) and the one non-starter out of Green (3B, 2B), Gamel (1B, 3B), & McGehee (3B, 1B). My gut feeling is that we're dealing with significant injuries or some other form of roster depletion if Maysonet's holding down a spot on the 25-man next year for any period of time.

Archived