Brewer Fanatic

Carpenter still very classy...

BrandonBurns
Apparently he had issues with Carlos Lee slamming his bat down after popping out

That was a big one last year if I remember correctly. Link

Good lord! Check out some of the quotes from that article:

"Well, routinely now, hitters pop up a pitch they think they should do

[something] with, and they start making noises, and that really is

disrespectful to the pitcher," La Russa said. "Most of the pitchers just

turn around and ignore it. Carp doesn't. And I think Carp's in the

right.

"I think respect should go both ways. He gets you out, he gets you out.

Just zip it and go back. He gives it up, you zip it and let the guy go

around the bases. Most pitchers, they let the guys jabber. I don't think

Carlos Lee is anything special as far as a guy who disrespects, but

it's so common now."

Mind-boggling.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brewer Fanatic Contributor

From what I've seen in the past, it seems skin color often plays a role in how these stories play out.

Yes, its happened in the past and it will probably (unfortunately) happen again. But that also doesn't mean that EVERY case that has racial undertones.

Nyjer came to the Brewers with a reputation. Nyjer threw his tobacco and swore (on camera). Press reacted first, then found out from Nyjer after the game that CC swore first. Then a couple days later CC admitted to swearing... At least this time around they vilified CC when recounting him swearing at Nyjer.

As for the incident at SF, that was really only reported by SF papers. I'm assuming its the time he was signalling "T" after making plays. I thought the national media ignored it as a non-story.

Villanueva pumped his fist and yelled (not swore) after striking out Pujols. Who did the media favor? The All-Star 1B from the Cardinals. High profile, All-Star, WS winning players tend to get the benefit of the doubt.

Bringing up religion is completely out of line also. How do you know CC is born again? How do you know Nyjer is not? Very uncalled for.

Apparently he had issues with Carlos Lee slamming his bat down after popping out

right.

it's so common now."

Mind-boggling.

This from the man that manages Albert Pujols-a man who has admired more 380 foot flyouts than most players hit in their careers.

Mind-boggling indeed.

Regardless of his ethnic background or religious beliefs, I think that it's safe to say that Crap is a d-bag.
It's one thing to claim to be a born-again Christian, etc. It's another thing to act like one. What's that saying? Actions speak louder than words...although Carp's words seemed to be pretty loud too.
Follow me on Twitter

Regardless of his ethnic background or religious beliefs, I think that it's safe to say that Crap is a d-bag.
It's one thing to claim to be a born-again Christian, etc. It's another thing to act like one. What's that saying? Actions speak louder than words...although Carp's words seemed to be pretty loud too.

Spot on here. It's what gets under my skin about the Cards. Poo can admire his homers, but if anyone else does, all heck will rain down on you. Molina can do his best Robby Alomar impression and when it's brought up, Cards fans say "he apologized, move on." Really? I don't remember that! It's the double standard along with my hatred of the Cards that makes me hope they'll lose to the much more classier TEAM, the Rangers.

right.

it's so common now."

Mind-boggling.

This from the man that manages Albert Pujols-a man who has admired more 380 foot flyouts than most players hit in their careers.

Mind-boggling indeed.

Not mind boggling, LaRussa simply is a hypocrite.

I'm not trying to defend LaRussa in saying this, but in watching sports for a long time, tons of fans and some players, coaches, or managers in sports often use very selective rationalization when trying to bash athletes on other teams for certain behavior, while being way more willing to defend certain types of behavior by an athlete if that guy plays on their team and is productive.

This is largely why Morgan is loved by most Brewers fans, but disliked by most other baseball fans. It's why LaRussa and the vast majority of Cardinals fans will defend Carpenter, but then will complain about the behavior of other players.

Generally, it takes a athlete to do something unseemly off the field before a local fan base will turn on a productive player, whereas certain type of antics can make that player disliked among most other baseball fans across the country. The reason for this is obvious. Above all else sports fans want their team to win and so long as a productive player isn't out there beating/groping random women, driving hammered, carrying guns, etc, most fans simply will be more willing to overlook or at least try to rationalize away antics on the field of that player compared to fans of other team. Same for many coaches and players.

^^

I agree. I will say, that I really don't like Braun admiring his home runs either, but at the same time Pujols is in a class by himself. Well, him and Aramis Ramirez anyway. Which is why they are my 2 least favorite players in baseball.

I can't stand Morgan either, but I root for him because he's a Brewer.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I will say, that I really don't like Braun admiring his home runs either, but at the same time Pujols is in a class by himself.

I've never understood why this is bad. I don't like the taunting type of reactions (see Carpenter). But you just hit a home run. Equivalent to scoring a TD in football. Why can't you celebrate as long as its not directly taunting the other team?

Now of course, standing and watching a 350 ft flyball get caught be the LF is just embarrassing...

I will say, that I really don't like Braun admiring his home runs either, but at the same time Pujols is in a class by himself.

I've never understood why this is bad. I don't like the taunting type of reactions (see Carpenter). But you just hit a home run. Equivalent to scoring a TD in football. Why can't you celebrate as long as its not directly taunting the other team?

Now of course, standing and watching a 350 ft flyball get caught be the LF is just embarrassing...

Not to mention, Braun has never called out another player for watching their HR. Thats the problem I think most people have with Pujols watching his.

I don't think it's "bad" necessarily, it just bugs me. You hit the ball far. Good. That's your job. Now run. That's the second part of your job.

As I stated, Pujols is just ridiculous. Braun is not in his class, but he does it a lot too.

I don't get the whole idea of standing there watching the ball to begin with. Can they not watch the ball as they run towards first base? Will the ball somehow go further if they stand still and watch it? What is this fascination with standing there watching the ball, especially since there's a chance of it being a really long fly-out?

As for the hypocrisy, I would hate Braun if he played elsewhere, but love him here. Morgan I'm not sure what to think of. A lot of his schtick is funny, but it's gettig borderline and sometimes a bit tedious. I was hoping all year that Betancourt would end an interview with "Aaah! Yo vaminos!"

Not to mention, Braun has never called out another player for watching their HR. Thats the problem I think most people have with Pujols watching his.

Bingo. I don't care much for players watching their HR but if you are going to call out other players for a certain behavior you cannot do the same behavior yourself.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Bingo. I don't care much for players watching their HR but if you are going to call out other players for a certain behavior you cannot do the same behavior yourself.

I don't get why so many baseball fans have an issue with hitters admiring home runs?

This is professional baseball, not little league. If a hitter destroys a pitch, i have zero problem with that guy admiring his work. Hitting a bomb is hard to do. I understand why most baseball fans don't want to see the sport turning into some other sports where guys often dance or pose after doing things in a game that aren't even anything that special, but that doesn't mean the players all have to act like the same behave a certain way robots?

That said, i think there can still be room in baseball for players to show some personality or staring at the ball after doing things like hitting a bomb. Manny for example would do it sometimes and i found it good entertainment. Same for the Brewers this year. I grew tired of the forced over the top type of interviews by Nyjer Morgan after games where he did something good, but i just didn't understand why so many non-Brewers baseball fans had such a big issue with our team/players having fun on the field in the fashion that they did?

You don't know it's gone until it goes over the wall. I hate 400' singles. I have little problem with showing excitement. Jump up and down cheering like an idiot after it clears the wall, I don't care, but make sure it is out first.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Braun is not in his class, but he does it a lot too.
No, he doesn't. Granted, I don't watch every game, as I'm not in the local television market, but I at least watch highlights every day. When's the last time he admired one, 2008? I think that was the year of the infamous late inning blast that he watched against St. Louis. In fact, I've noticed that he seems to make a concerted effort to just put his head down and run, probably because he caught flack for some swagger a few years ago.

Braun is not in his class, but he does it a lot too.
No, he doesn't. Granted, I don't watch every game, as I'm not in the local television market, but I at least watch highlights every day. When's the last time he admired one, 2008? I think that was the year of the infamous late inning blast that he watched against St. Louis. In fact, I've noticed that he seems to make a concerted effort to just put his head down and run, probably because he caught flack for some swagger a few years ago.
Wow. I think you're seeing what you want to see. He does it all the time.

If a guy hits a monster shot it almost seems natural to pause and watch. I sometimes see both teams step to the edge of the dugout on those. I saw Will Mo Pena hit one of those at Miller park once that I would have been surprised if he didn't watch it. Nobody around me had a problem with him watching that one for a second before he trotted the bases. It's more a natural reaction than any sort of showmanship. I'm not a fan of guys who have a HR act they do after every one. Pujols is one of those.
There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

If a guy hits a monster shot it almost seems natural to pause and watch. I sometimes see both teams step to the edge of the dugout on those. I saw Will Mo Pena hit one of those at Miller park once that I would have been surprised if he didn't watch it. Nobody around me had a problem with him watching that one for a second before he trotted the bases. It's more a natural reaction than any sort of showmanship. I'm not a fan of guys who have a HR act they do after every one. Pujols is one of those.
This is correct. Braun does not stand there and admire is homers. In fact, Prince does it WAY more often. Braun at most pauses a second to watch it fly, then puts his head down and runs. Sometimes he'll start jogging and watch it. I'm not seeing what I want. Since Braun was criticized in his first season or two for being a showboat, I've paid attention to what he does and I cannot think of a time in recent memory when he has jacked a homer and stood there striking a pose.

Yeah I think Fielder watches them a lot more than Braun does. Pujols is probably the worst in baseball when it comes to it though and yes in the playoffs he was watching one that didn't go out and maybe would have been a double if he had just been running, that is completely unacceptable.

This is correct. Braun does not stand there and admire is homers. In fact, Prince does it WAY more often. Braun at most pauses a second to watch it fly, then puts his head down and runs. Sometimes he'll start jogging and watch it. I'm not seeing what I want. Since Braun was criticized in his first season or two for being a showboat, I've paid attention to what he does and I cannot think of a time in recent memory when he has jacked a homer and stood there striking a pose.
OK...I completely disagree.

Archived