Brewer Fanatic

Phillies decline options on Lidge and Oswalt

BuckyBrewer61

He would seem to have Texas or Atlanta written all over him if he decides to keep playing. I'll pass on Lidge

I agree with Texas but Atlanta is loaded with pitching depth. I wouldn't mind taking a shot on Lidge if it's a reasonable deal.

I'd look at Oswalt but only after dealing both Wolf and Marcum.

I'd do the opposite, actually (well, trading one anyway). Better to have him in hand, then work out the trade. Hate to get caught short-handed at pitcher.

Knowing you have to unload a guy diminishes his trade value. Trading Wolf and Marcum frees up $16-17 million for 2012. Heck I'd deal Greinke too if the right offer came along. Oswalt wouldn't be the only option. There's other free agents that would be within reach and there's the potential for return in a deal for a younger, cheaper guy who can be controlled past 2012.

If I had to guess, Oswalt ends up in Chicago as Theo's first big signing.

We wouldn't have to unload Wolf or Marcum if we sign Oswalt. We could say (and do if no good offer came) move Narveson back to the pen. Remember that DM was able to claim he was going to keep 2 1B all year for the 06 season. I'm sure he could convince everyone he would keep all of his pitchers.

The poster previously known as Robin19, now @RFCoder

EA Sports...It's in the game...until we arbitrarily decide to shut off the server.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Knowing you have to unload a guy diminishes his trade value.

And knowing you have to sign a guy increases his demand. As Robin said, you don't have to unload Wolf and Marcum by signing Oswalt. And normally, there is a constant demand for veteran pitching. If not in the offseason, then definitely at the trade deadline.

If Oswalt's healthy, I don't know that the Brewers should be competing to sign him on the open market. I'd love to have him if the price is right, though; he's been a non-Brewers favorite of mine since he played in Houston.
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I doubt a team would give us good value for a starting pitcher while good SPs like Oswalt are still out there on the market. If we were going to trade a SP, it would seem like the time to do it would be after the big FAs had signed and supply was off the market. I guess the easy way to say this is... why would a team give up talent for one year of Marcum or Wolf when they could simply sign Oswalt on the FA market?

If we were to go after Oswalt, I'd say we'd need to sign him and then trade away Marcum, Wolf or Greinke. If we traded Marcum, we would probably put ourselves in a position that we wouldn't have enough money to afford the SS/bullpen help we need, so we would probably need to trade Greinke or Wolf. If we trade Greinke, then we really haven't done anything to bolster the 2012 team, but we will have taken risk on an older player for extended years, so I think we'd need to look at trading Wolf. If we could sign Oswalt for somewhere around what we're paying Wolf, and then trade Wolf for something of value (MLB SS or some good prospects), then that could work out really well.

I doubt it will happen, but it's an interesting thought.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Archived