Brewer Fanatic

Man's wheelchair gets lodged to the front of a semi at 50MPH

TracyThom

news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070...truck_ride

Synopsis: A wheelchair bound man was crossing in a crosswalk when a semi rolled forward. The handles on the wheelchair became lodged in the semi and the man was taken for a ride of about 4 miles at 50 MPH.

Am I a bad person because I laughed when I read this? Thank the Lord this guy was okay. Imagine driving past the semi and seeing that sight.

You're not a bad person for laughing at this at all.

Thousands of people starving and dying of AIDS is something you generally don't laugh at.

Something as absurd, bizarre and surreal as a man in a wheelchair being pushed by a semi for 4 blocks is hilarious as an anecdote. Obviously it's nice the guy is OK.

You're not laughing at the guy. You're laughing at the premise.

wow, that's crazy. It would be sort of like falling off of a building but surviving. Terrifying, but pretty cool afterwards.

Also Russ, why would the wheelbearings fail? Even a 40 year old cheapo bicycle can go 30+ MPH with no trouble at all with the wheels. They can probably go even faster with no problems, it's just that regular people don't tend to be able to get their bikes going much faster than that (I should make clear that regular people also can't ride 30 mph on flat ground, I'm talking about down a hill).

Unless the wheelchair companies are intentionally putting wheels that fail at some given speed on their chairs, I don't see why they would use technology worse than what a $100 bicycle uses.

No one got hurt so it's funny and safe to laugh at. We used to screw around with my sisters setting on her electric chair so it would go faster. It was great fun until we forgot to set it back and she went wheeling across the kitchen and into the fridge. Two big dents in the fridge and one very mad mother to deal with after that. Sadly I would qualify us as evil for that.
There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

Archived