Brewer Fanatic

Is Brandon Belt a trade possibility?

Is it possible that the Giants would trade a prospect like Belt for a proven hitter like Hart? The Giants seem like they are in "win now" mode and desperately need hitting and might not be willing to wait on Belt, and need a power hitting corner OF. We need a new 1B

Belt struggled this year but put up big numbers in the minors (1.052 OPS) and is highly regarded. I suppose some might look at Belt as just another Gamel but I think Belt has a higher ceiling

Resign Beltran? I suppose maybe... but they need more than just one hitter. With that pitching staff, if they get a couple very good hitters they could get right back in the World Series

the things is, it isn't in Melvin's MO to trade for prospects, he's more into trading our prospects away

Is it possible that the Giants would trade a prospect like Belt for a proven hitter like Hart? The Giants seem like they are in "win now" mode and desperately need hitting and might not be willing to wait on Belt, and need a power hitting corner OF. We need a new 1B

Belt struggled this year but put up big numbers in the minors (1.052 OPS) and is highly regarded. I suppose some might look at Belt as just another Gamel but I think Belt has a higher ceiling

Agreed Belt has a higher ceiling than Gamel. Brian Sabean and the SF brass have made it clear they will not enter Prince, Pujols or Reyes sweepstakes even though that is what the fans are clamoring to have happen.

Though I'm a Corey Hart fan, there is no chance the Giants trade Belt for Hart straight up. It makes no sense to them as OF is their weakest spot, but defensively Belt is as good as Hart in the OF.

The Giants would be better off getting Morgan or some other CF from the Crew to replace Andres Torres who is awful.

Well the whole thing the truth is saying is would they trade for Hart because he's already a proven slugger. It'll be harder to hit 25+ HR in the NL West but he has that type of power obviously. Still doubt they would do it considering they have other options on the FA market.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

The key thing about Belt is how is his future as an OF?

Because he's the future 1B if they don't think he'll stick in the OF. If they feel he's going to be okay in the OF, there's no point in dealing him. He's cheap, he's young, he's going to (likely) improve.

But if the Giants think he's strictly a 1B, and they go sign Prince, that's the only way they trade Belt.

I wonder if the Giants will make Posey a fulltime 1B? ....the reason is to minimize the injury risk to their top bat.....

then they could approach the Brewers about Lucroy .....not sure if Belt for Lucroy makes sense, I'll leave that one for you guys.....

I wonder if the Giants will make Posey a fulltime 1B? ....the reason is to minimize the injury risk to their top bat.....

then they could approach the Brewers about Lucroy .....not sure if Belt for Lucroy makes sense, I'll leave that one for you guys.....

Lucroy is an average catcher while nice to have he will not net a player like Belt. Even with the price of catching at a premium I still wouldn't trade a piece like Belt for a catcher like Lucroy. Lucroy while he can frame pitches very well he is still average to below average at blocking balls and he is well below average at throwing runners out. Lucroy's offense at catcher is average to just above average nothing really special there all in all Lucroy is just an average catcher. If the Giants offered Belt for Lucroy I would take it and run.

I don't really see the Giants putting Posey at 1B right now maybe 3 or 4 years from now or if he gets injured again they may do that but not right now. The Giants may just go with Sandoval at 1B and sign a FA 3B like Ramirez. I believe the Giants would then just stash Belt in the OF probably make him play LF more so than RF.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

he is still average to below average at blocking balls and he is well below average at throwing runners out.

I think you are underselling Lucroy on both of these accounts. Last year, perhaps. This year, I would say above average on blocking and average on throwing runners out. I don't know Belt, so I won't comment on Lucroy vs. Belt.

it isn't in Melvin's MO to trade for prospects, he's more into trading our prospects away

DM has done both in the past. Maybe not high-profile prospects, but he has traded both ways.

Archived