Brewer Fanatic

Thoughts on Fan expectations of players?

rwa12

These thoughts have been banging around my head, they are loosely related, not sure if they belong here, or if Off Topic would be more appropriate.

I'm curious, as a fan, what other fans expect of players. Here are a few thoughts to get the ball rolling.

1) At what point are these guys humans, and at what point are they property? Greinke would be a good example of this. I've seen fans at many sites complain about the accessibility of players, that they are not particularly friendly or won't sign autographs. I believe if a player is contractually obligated to fan interaction, then that is his responsibility, otherwise, it can really only be my expectation that he will perform on the field. It's nice when guys are personable, but not expected. This is obviously only one aspect of this topic, it can be taken from many different angles. How long is too long to stay away when your wife gives birth? What if there is an illness in the family? What is the player's obligation to the team over self? You and I get sick leave and the like, why shouldn't they? I understand the importance of each game, but is there a line?

2) The hometown discount. I see this a lot, not necessarily here all the time, but in many forums. Fans feel that the team that drafted the player should be given special treatment. This is interesting to me, because I think it varies by situation. Mike Piazza, to me, owed the Dodgers a hometown discount. They drafted him in the boonie rounds as a favor. They gave him his shot, that he most likely would not have garnered otherwise. Should he sign for far below market? No, but it is my feeling that all things equal, consideration should be given to the team that got you here. Just my opinion, could be wrong. Guys like Prince Fielder, Ryan Braun, etc. don't really owe the team anything, IMO. They were high picks, that would have been happily scooped up by the teams immediately following. The Brewers didn't do them any favors, they were going to make money regardless. I also find it interesting because, it would seem in any negotiation that the arrived upon salary would be the lowest amount that management had to play to keep their asset. I don't know of a ton of teams that pay extra for players just because they like them, obvious exclusion of Derek Jeter.

3) Professionalism. This one I find especially fascinating. We here constantly that these guys are professional, they should carry themselves in a certain manner. These guys are where they are because of a special talent at a child's game. Most are not highly educated, and many came from less than stellar backgrounds. This spans all sports. Newfound wealth from sports does not equate to professionalism. Pro players, for the most part, have lived their lives being the best around at their chosen game. From little league through the draft, they were the best. Entering the pros, they meet their counterparts. What prepares these guys to react to being not the best? Kevin Youkilis is a fairly well acknowledged hot-head, he gets angry over popping out in non important games, he's thrown tantrums. Sportswriters and teammates roll their eyes and comment on this, but seriously, what has prepared this guy to fail? He's always been the best. Doctors, lawyers, businessmen, are trained in etiquette. They have been taught how to maintain themselves in a professional manner. It seems to me that people assume the wealth of players should lead them to be professional.

I could be way off base on most of this, would appreciate thoughts.

Community Moderator

Good discussion.

1) They are hired and paid to play baseball and not to do anything on the side. MLB players are the best baseball players in the world, but that says nothing about their personalities. The personality spectrum still has the full range. Of course, baseball players should have good PR skills and be nice to the fans, and in the long run it will benefit them, but the fans value winning the most, so talent is far more important than personality. So no, they are not property, they are employees under contract, and they only have to do what the contract says. Many go above and beyond, but I agree that it can't be expected. Craig Counsell is the idea personable, hard working, local baseball player, but he does virtually nothing to help you win ballgames at this point, which is the ultimate goal.

2) As with any employee working for a company, their obligation lies only with the contract, and when the contract runs out they are free to pursue other venues. I would never expect any player to take a hometown discount, just as I would not be expected to stay at my job in my hometown if an employer across the country offered me a better deal. Furthermore, signing the hometown deal offers little benefit to the player. Look at Joe Mauer. Even if he signed for $150 million instead of $184 million, it wouldn't change that he's fallen out of favor with the fanbase. For someone like Prince Fielder who has no Milwaukee connections except his teammates, it doesn't really make sense to take a discount unless he wants his name up on the wall. If he wants a ring, past odds suggest he should find a team with a higher payroll.

3) Agree completely. This is an example where the employer should provide help, as the Brewers have done with Braddock. It benefits both sides.

1) They are paid to play baseball but I would guess they also have some contractual obligation to make certain appearances for the team.

2) Considering how poorly MiLB players in general are paid outside of their signing bonus I have no problem with players getting as much as they can. They sign a contract. When that is over, all bets are off. Most of these guys will only get one big contract if they are good enough.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

1) At what point are these guys humans, and at what point are they property? Greinke would be a good example of this. I've seen fans at many sites complain about the accessibility of players, that they are not particularly friendly or won't sign autographs. I believe if a player is contractually obligated to fan interaction, then that is his responsibility, otherwise, it can really only be my expectation that he will perform on the field. It's nice when guys are personable, but not expected. This is obviously only one aspect of this topic, it can be taken from many different angles. How long is too long to stay away when your wife gives birth? What if there is an illness in the family? What is the player's obligation to the team over self? You and I get sick leave and the like, why shouldn't they? I understand the importance of each game, but is there a line?

I would consider Greinke's case to be unique, as his medical situation is well known. I expect that players conduct themselves in ways that positively represent themselves and the Brewers organization. They can't sign every autograph, or pose for every picture--people shouldn't expect that. But they can act with basic courtesy--and fans can act with courtesy toward them, too.

The birth thing is a hard one, since they get so much time off from November to February. But, people don't always plan pregnancies--so who am I to say? Is a week enough? Ten days seems like a lot, but maybe not. I guess the same with illnesses--unless it is a spouse or child, then I would be much more forgiving.

2) The hometown discount. I see this a lot, not necessarily here all the time, but in many forums. Fans feel that the team that drafted the player should be given special treatment. This is interesting to me, because I think it varies by situation. Mike Piazza, to me, owed the Dodgers a hometown discount. They drafted him in the boonie rounds as a favor. They gave him his shot, that he most likely would not have garnered otherwise. Should he sign for far below market? No, but it is my feeling that all things equal, consideration should be given to the team that got you here. Just my opinion, could be wrong. Guys like Prince Fielder, Ryan Braun, etc. don't really owe the team anything, IMO. They were high picks, that would have been happily scooped up by the teams immediately following. The Brewers didn't do them any favors, they were going to make money regardless. I also find it interesting because, it would seem in any negotiation that the arrived upon salary would be the lowest amount that management had to play to keep their asset. I don't know of a ton of teams that pay extra for players just because they like them, obvious exclusion of Derek Jeter.

We agree. Free agents are free to do whatever they want. Milwaukee is a fine place to live. But New York is, too. If they feel comfortable in a small market and if they want to accept less to play there, then they are free to do so. Or they can leave for more. No hard feelings.

But they also have to know that fans have strong feelings about rivals. Regardless of how much I like Prince, if he signs with the Cubs, he gets booed until I decide to stop. Giants, Rangers, Angels, Mets--I don't mind. . .but the Cubs are hated. That's just the deal.

3) Professionalism. This one I find especially fascinating. We here constantly that these guys are professional, they should carry themselves in a certain manner. These guys are where they are because of a special talent at a child's game. Most are not highly educated, and many came from less than stellar backgrounds. This spans all sports. Newfound wealth from sports does not equate to professionalism. Pro players, for the most part, have lived their lives being the best around at their chosen game. From little league through the draft, they were the best. Entering the pros, they meet their counterparts. What prepares these guys to react to being not the best? Kevin Youkilis is a fairly well acknowledged hot-head, he gets angry over popping out in non important games, he's thrown tantrums. Sportswriters and teammates roll their eyes and comment on this, but seriously, what has prepared this guy to fail? He's always been the best. Doctors, lawyers, businessmen, are trained in etiquette. They have been taught how to maintain themselves in a professional manner. It seems to me that people assume the wealth of players should lead them to be professional.

I expect them to be professional because they're wearing the local jersey. I don't want to cheer for someone who conducts himself like a dope. The same way I don't want to eat in a restaurant where I can hear the chef yelling in the kitchen. There really isn't much to etiquette. Just act like an adult.

Bryce Harper acted like a punk early on, and I would hope that by the time he gets to the majors, someone in the Nats organization would coach him on how to behave like an adult. I don't think the money has anything to do with it. Just being a major-leaguer means you have to conduct yourself with professionalism. Harper's not going to be perfect--but you hope he's not doing the same stuff at 25 that he does at 20.

Archived