Brewer Fanatic

Trade Value of Nyjer Morgan

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Selling High just rarely happens for small to mid market teams. Those teams just don't trade players coming off of good years who are affordable. I don't think you can really fault GM's for not trading guys after they have good years. They are after all trying to field a good team.

If you look at Morgan's career splits 2011 wasn't really far out of line with most of his career. He had a bad year in 2010 but he has been pretty good for most of his career against RHP.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

No he's most likely a down grade defensively,and offensively. And power matters everywhere.

It was either Melvin or Roenecke, I believe Melvin, who said that Schafer was the second best defense outfielder in the entire system behind only Carlos Gomez. You can debate that if you want, but it's not just a given that Morgan is better defensively than Schafer, Even if he is, it's not like you're throwing Mark Kotsay out there. And yes power does matter to an extent, but some people also vastly overrate it. Bentancourt has some pretty decent power. Does that make him a good hitter? Beside, Nyger Morgan isn't exactly Barry Bonds out there. It's hard to envision anyone who is a significant downgrade, power wise, from Nyger Morgan.

You never answered my question though. How long do you think we should hold onto Morgan? Are you willing to bench a major league ready prospect in so a 33 year old Morgan can play another year?

No he's most likely a down grade defensively,and offensively. And power matters everywhere.

It was either Melvin or Roenecke, I believe Melvin, who said that Schafer was the second best defense outfielder in the entire system behind only Carlos Gomez. You can debate that if you want, but it's not just a given that Morgan is better defensively than Schafer, Even if he is, it's not like you're throwing Mark Kotsay out there. And yes power does matter to an extent, but some people also vastly overrate it. Bentancourt has some pretty decent power. Does that make him a good hitter? Beside, Nyger Morgan isn't exactly Barry Bonds out there. It's hard to envision anyone who is a significant downgrade, power wise, from Nyger Morgan.

You never answered my question though. How long do you think we should hold onto Morgan? Are you willing to bench a major league ready prospect in so a 33 year old Morgan can play another year?

Schafer hasn't had an ISP above .100 except for his time in the PCL. That's Counsell like. And not sure why you think 33 is old.

Schafer hasn't had an ISP above .100 except for his time in the PCL.

That's Counsell like.

I can't believe we're arguing about power numbers when comparing Logan Schafer and Nyger Morgan. Neither is a power hitter and you shouldn't use power numbers as a knock on either. That's not their game. But to respond to your comment, Schafer has not really any had any full, healthy season. A torn groin muscle, a sports hernia and a fractured foot aren't going to help anyone's power numbers, not necessarily with home runs but with stretching singles into doubles and doubles into triples. Not to mention power is one of the last tools to develop. He's never going to put up Mike Cameron type power numbers as a centerfielder but to cast him aside based on statistics from from his injury filled minor league seasons seems a bit ridiculous to me.

And not sure why you think 33 is old.

I think most people use 30 as the magical age when a player's performance starts to go down a bit. And centerfield is a very demanding position. It's not out of line to think that the older someone gets their ability to catch up to those balls on a consistent basis is going to diminish.

He needs a full year down in AAA to prove he can stay consistent and

healthy. The earliest I'd give him a shot at a full-time major league

job is 2013.

And just to be clear. I'm not suggesting we give center to Schafer next season. I agree 100% with the above comment.

who said Schafer was the best CF is the system. It was not clear to me he meant to include the Big Club because Gomez is awfully good, but it is clear he is better defensively than Morgan. I agree that he may not be ready for a full time job in 2012, but don't be surprised with a good ST that he is in a platoon on the Brewers and not in AAA.

I just feel than one of Morgan and Gomez will not be here.

Schafer hasn't had an ISP above .100 except for his time in the PCL. That's Counsell like. And not sure why you think 33 is old.

Everyone in the lineup doesn't have to hit HRs to contribute offensively, and regardless you're comparing Schafer to Gomez and Morgan, not a Mike Trout.

33 is firmly on the wrong side of the injury nexus, especially post steroid era. Morgan's body type and skill set don't scream rapid decline or injury risk, but at the same time he's purely a stop gap measure, he has no long-term future with the club given his age. He's replaceable in the same way that McGehee has always been replaceable, these aren't the types of players an organization should build around.

edit. Should have read the entire thread first, paul already said most of this, my bad.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

who said Schafer was the best CF is the system. It was not clear to me

he meant to include the Big Club because Gomez is awfully good

Someone else actually said he was the second best defensive outfielder in the system because I do remember him saying he was second only to Gomez. I swear it was Melvin. If Nicholas said he was the best CF in the system it just furthers the point, though I assume he meant in the minors because it would take an amazing type player to be better than Gomez. I do appreciate the new info though.

It doesn't matter who said what, but it's clear the Brewers really like Schafer and he's in their plans. That was clear when they included Cain in the Greinke deal and dealt Komatsu for Hairston.

Schafer is 25 now, hardly a kid, and he's been in camp in Arizona for several season. His AAA time has been limited, but we're talking about a contact hitter, with a decent eye at the plate. I think he'd hit well enough playing exclusively against RHP that he's a viable option should they trade Morgan.

Yeah, he's definitely a viable option if they decide to deal Morgan. I just don't see them choosing to do that. Unless Morgan is thrown into a trade with someone else. I think they'd rather stash Schafer in AAA for a full season, and have him be the guy to get the call in case of injury.
Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

If both Schafer and Morgan both play well next year we could flip Morgan to another team and bring up Schafer to play. Especially if we are out of the playoff picture. I could see Morgan being a very good addition to any team as a 4th outfielder.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

As long as Roenicke continues to use Morgan correctly (never starting against LHP and moving to RF late in games), he should be valueable, as he's always been able to get on base. At some point in the next three years, it will make sense to trade Morgan and start Schafer. A healthy, productive year in AAA for Schafer will go a long ways towards making next offseason that point. This would allow the Brewers to make sure Schafer is is ready, and it will allow Green & Gamel to have a year under their belt, so they're not starting three rookies everyday.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

As long as Roenicke continues to use Morgan correctly (never starting against LHP and moving to RF late in games), he should be valueable, as he's always been able to get on base. At some point in the next three years, it will make sense to trade Morgan and start Schafer. A healthy, productive year in AAA for Schafer will go a long ways towards making next offseason that point. This would allow the Brewers to make sure Schafer is is ready, and it will allow Green & Gamel to have a year under their belt, so they're not starting three rookies everyday.
Definitely agree with this. Sounds like the best course of action to me.
Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

Morgan is a great 3rd/4th outfielder, but like I said, he has little or no trade value. For evidence of this, just look at what the Brewers had to give up for him- nothing. He's not a complete tool like Alex Sanchez (and is a much better player), but like Sanchez his reputation precedes him. No team would give more than fodder for Morgan. My hope is that he continues to behave himself and can be a cheap and fairly productive asset for the next few years.

Morgan is a great 3rd/4th outfielder, but like I said, he has little or no trade value. For evidence of this, just look at what the Brewers had to give up for him- nothing. He's not a complete tool like Alex Sanchez (and is a much better player), but like Sanchez his reputation precedes him. No team would give more than fodder for Morgan. My hope is that he continues to behave himself and can be a cheap and fairly productive asset for the next few years.

We got him for scraps because he was coming off his worst year ever with the bat, and Washington wanted him gone because of his attitude. Morgans antics towards the end of the year started to get really old. I am in the keep Gomez camp. It is only a matter of time befor Nyjer goes Nyjer and becomes a huge distraction. That isn't what the Brewers need as a young and somewhat inmature team.

We got him for scraps because he was coming off his worst year ever with the bat, and Washington wanted him gone because of his attitude. Morgans antics towards the end of the year started to get really old. I am in the keep Gomez camp. It is only a matter of time befor Nyjer goes Nyjer and becomes a huge distraction. That isn't what the Brewers need as a young and somewhat inmature team.

Right. But you aren't going to be able to 'sell high' on him precisely because of the attitude. Either Morgan continues to behave himself (I believe that he will), or he gets DFA'd.

I think Morgan, because of his personality, has to be on a winner. On a team that is winning Morgan being Morgan is a fun, carefree and a unifying force in the clubhouse. On a team that is losing Morgan's personality is probably going to turn into a divisive force, not only for the whole of the clubhouse but for him personally.

Basically when winning Morgan being Morgan is a good thing. When losing Morgan being Morgan is not a good thing for him personally or the club. Just my humble opinion. So yeah if you are able to get something nice in return for Morgan you do the deal in a heartbeat, but if the Brewers plan on competing next season Morgan probably has greater value to the Brewers as a platoon outfielder than as a trade chip.

The Brewers absolutely poached Morgan from the Nats. They have him under salary control through 2015, so there's no rush to move him. I think 2011 is a decent guess as to what he'll hit in the near future, and he's an asset on defense. I like the player version of Nyjer Morgan.
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Archived