Brewer Fanatic

Prince-for what it's worth

winkdog4

Take it for what it's worth, but I was told that when the Brewers re-worked K-Rod's contract (another Boras client), an under-the-table agreement was reached between Fielder and the Brewers.

My source: a friend's father (very wealthy Chicago investor) has a friend who is close to Scott Boras.

And even if that's so much hot air, what are the chances Fielder might be open to a contract structured like Sabathia's with the Yankees, allowing him to hit the market again in a few years?

At this point, I'm numb to the whole situation. I know he's leaving, so I'm not going to be upset when he does indeed leave. If...by any chance you are correct and he ends up a Brewer...all the better and I'm sure the upper brass has a plan to have some top tier pitching in place as well.

But again...He's already out the door in my mind.

And even if that's so much hot air, what are the chances Fielder might be open to a contract structured like Sabathia's with the Yankees, allowing him to hit the market again in a few years?
Knowing Boras that is going to be something in Fielder's contract regardless of where Fielder signs.

Here is what I would offer if I'm the Brewers: 5 years $117.5 million with a vesting option (based on 450 pa in 2016) for $30 million in 2017 and an out clause after 2014. Year by year as follows:

2012: $20MM

2013: $22.5 MM

2014: $25 MM

player opt-out after 2014

2015: $25 MM

2016: $25 MM

vesting option based on 450 PA

2017: $30 MM

I really think that this would be workable and I don't think that Prince will find much better elsewhere. This would allow them to basically keep the entire team together next year (sans K-Rod, Counsell and Kotsay/Yuni one of Hawkins/Saito) with about a $10-15 million or so increase due to arby and contract raises. You would have to go with a cheap bench/bullpen for the foreseeable future, but it could be done. After next year, Wolf and one of Marcum/Greinke will be off the books, so hopefully a couple of the young arms are ready.

This proposal may sound crazy, but I want to keep the big guy. He's young and has proven durable. Where else will you spend the money? After watching Greinke, I'm not so sure anymore that he's a $100 million dollar pitcher, and I don't think Marcum is a $40-$50 million guy either.

Here is what I would offer if I'm the Brewers: 5 years $117.5 million with a vesting option (based on 450 pa in 2016) for $30 million in 2017 and an out clause after 2014. Year by year as follows:

2012: $20MM

2013: $22.5 MM

2014: $25 MM

player opt-out after 2014

2015: $25 MM

2016: $25 MM

vesting option based on 450 PA

2017: $30 MM

I really think that this would be workable and I don't think that Prince will find much better elsewhere. This would allow them to basically keep the entire team together next year (sans K-Rod, Counsell and Kotsay/Yuni one of Hawkins/Saito) with about a $10-15 million or so increase due to arby and contract raises. You would have to go with a cheap bench/bullpen for the foreseeable future, but it could be done. After next year, Wolf and one of Marcum/Greinke will be off the books, so hopefully a couple of the young arms are ready.

This proposal may sound crazy, but I want to keep the big guy. He's young and has proven durable. Where else will you spend the money? After watching Greinke, I'm not so sure anymore that he's a $100 million dollar pitcher, and I don't think Marcum is a $40-$50 million guy either.

I think that's way too much money. I would only go 5/100 and I think that might even be too much. Also, Braun and Yo will be getting significant raises in the next few years, as well as Hart and Weeks. I don't think it's a good idea to have 1/2 the payroll tied up in 2 players, which would happen at the end of this contract.
This is Jack Burton in the Pork Chop Express, and I'm talkin' to whoever's listenin' out there.

Take it for what it's worth, but I was told that when the Brewers re-worked K-Rod's contract (another Boras client), an under-the-table agreement was reached between Fielder and the Brewers.

My source: a friend's father (very wealthy Chicago investor) has a friend who is close to Scott Boras.

That doesn't really make sense to me. Why would this have to be hush-hush?

Team Canada wrote:

Exactly what I was going to say. There's no reason to keep this quiet unless it was just agreed upon since they don't want stuff leaking during the World Series. And Prince sure didn't sound like he was coming back.

And Prince sure didn't sound like he was coming back.
Good point. I'm sure if there really was some deal in place, Prince would have played it a lot more coyly. Instead, he seemed rather somber and resigned to the fact that he had probably played his last game in a Brewers uniform.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

If anything there might have been a deal put in place under the table where before Boras signs elsewhere he goes back to the Brewers for a final offer. In my mind that is the ideal scenario for the Brewers. The likelyhood of signing him is slim to none, but if a deal to be able to last second put an even symbolic bid in is going to be a great thing for the Brewers. The Brewers gain the ability to put in a last second bid that will make it look to the fans like they had a great chance at resigning him and Boras gets a chance to be able to go back to the team seriously interested in Fielder and try and squeeze out a couple extra million by saying the Brewers are making a strong push.

Possibly to protect Boras' reputation for always taking his clients to the open market.

Prince Fielder has never shown one iota of interest in staying in Milwaukee. He has spoke well of his time, but I don't think it could be any more clear that he's in it for the money. Braun could have made more than Fielder did on the open market but chose to sign not one but two contract extensions that more or less guarantees he will be a career Brewer. If Fielder wanted to play in Milwaukee longer, even if it wasn't for his entire career, he'd had said something that indicated that is what he wanted. He's done the exact opposite.

as well as Hart and Weeks.

I'm sorry but Corey Hart needs to be traded this offseason. He was always my favorite prospect coming up but I think we need to sell high on him. Melvin already had a chance to sell high on him last season and reportedly get Brandon Beachy, but he passed. The outfield FA market is weak this offseason. Melvin should be able to get a fairly highly regarded prospect. Hart's defense and even his base running took a nose dive this season and offensively I think his lack of strike zone discipline is a bad sign.

I could envision where Boras told Melvin that if he doesn't get an offer close to his asking price, he'd consider a one year deal knowing the Brewers will offer arbitration anyway and they've agreed on an amount should that come to pass. The market for Fielder could be stronger next year when he won't be 1A to Pujols and it would be much more likely the Cubs would be involved.

I don't put any stock one way or the other in Fielder's words. I think he's just a guy who doesn't involve himself in the process. Boras takes his clients to the open market. That's been the constant.

I love Prince but I'd almost rather have him go. His defense at 1B is atrocious and it'll be nice to finally get someone who can actually play D over at 1b. His bat will obviously be sorely missed though.

As far as this underground deal goes, even if your friend was close to Boras, why would Boras tell anyone? Why would this person's father be privy to the info anyways? It could be true, but it's highly doubtful.

And as far as a CC type deal, I wouldn't mind that as much but the numbers have to go way down. You can't have almost your entire salary going to like 5-6 players, it's far from practical. The idea of having an option in the 3rd or 4th year (preferably a club option) is nice. If it's player I'm sure Prince would stick with another 60+ million, and that's scary.

what are the chances Fielder might be open to a contract structured like Sabathia's with the Yankees, allowing him to hit the market again in a few years

I hate these clauses. If the player does well, he'll opt out, and if he stinks or gets injured the team is stuck with him. No thanks. The only time I can think of that this helped a team is when A-Rod opted out of his contract, which didn't help the Yankees, but it helped the Rangers, who were no longer on the hook for the contract.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Possibly to protect Boras' reputation for always taking his clients to the open market.

Not that I believe it for a second, but throwing out reasons for a wait. If Prince was giving a steep hometown discount, to appease the players union and announce later so that his signing doesn't adversely effect Pujols free agency?....

Archived