Brewer Fanatic

El Caballo?

Eh, I really struggle hitting breaking balls and 1st base is not my first position. I would pass on me.

The real El Caballo is actually pretty nifty around 1B and he still has a knack for driving in runs, never having fewer than 89 since 2002. But this thread isn't exactly original. I suggested Lee as a possibility in the thread on 1st basemen. Astros would have to pick up half his salary (which I think they would do) and would have to accept minimal return.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Last three years he had OPS of 831, 708 and 788. Career is 831.

To even pay half his salary ($9M+) and a few mid-level prospects for that seems like way too much. Gamel most likely could provide that and if there are doubts, I'm sure a FA or two would be available to reach that also.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I would pass on Lee. He's not going to get better at his age. He's brutally slow. His defense is average at best. His bat is average at best. That means he'll be average - at best. I would rather take a chance on Gamel at 1B (or in RF if you move Hart to 1B) and bet he can be at least average. An average Gamel at 400k is way better than an aging Carlos Lee at $5-10 million (or whatever part of the salary we'd have to take on).

I'd rather try and find a solution for the next several years rather than a 1 year stop gap.

PS - Carlos killed lefties in 2011 (over a 1.000 OPS). Against righties he's quite bad (.715 OPS). Tendencies like these often grow as a player ages. He's actually a perfect platoon guy at this stage of his career - if he only cost you $1-2 million.

A 36 year old who posted a .788 OPS in 2011 is not what I'd be looking for at 1B. I do think he'd be a great replacement for Kotsay though. He'd be a much much better 4th OF than Kotsay in terms of power production off the bench. Too expensive for a sub though

Archived