Brewer Fanatic

Milwaukee Brewers Top 20 Prospects for 2012

nate82

Didn't see this posted here but John Sickels has his 2012 top 20 for the Brewers up.

Not sure that I agree with him on Jungmann and Bradley. Was surprised with the grade he gave Green though.

The top five:

1) Wily Peralta, RHP, Grade B:[/b] Looks like he could be a solid number three starter if his command remains steady. We should see him sometime in 2012.

2) Tyler Thornburg, RHP, Grade B[/b]: A year behind Peralta on the development track, should begin 2012 in Double-A, another guy who can be a mid-rotation starter.

3) Taylor Jungmann, HP, Grade B[/b]: Grade could go a notch higher once we get some pro data and see how his velocity looks. He should also be a mid-rotation guy at worst.

4) Jed Bradley, LHP, Grade B[/b]: As with Bradley, he could be a B+ once we see how he looks in pro ball. I like both of them.

5) Taylor Green, 3B, Grade B-:[/b] I don't expect him to be a star, but he should be a solid contributor, hitting for average with moderate power and acceptable glovework.
[/b]

I wasn't meaning to be nit-picking, since I'm a teacher and hate it when students correct me when they know what I mean. But if he thought he was in AA, then his stock would definitely jump. If he made a typing mistake, then it's fine.

3) Eric Arnett, RHP, Grade B: Needs to sharpen his control, but power sinker is impressive, combines grounders and strikeouts, which I like. I think he'll take a big step forward in 2010.

Sickels' 2010 Top 20 for Milwaukee.

We just need to keep things in perspective. I like the additions of Jungmann & Bradley, but it will be interesting to see how each fares in 2012.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I think he'll take a big step forward in 2010.

Well, he did take a big step forward. Unfortunately, he was facing the wrong way... Unfortunately, he wasn't a great selection of awesome. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/frown.gif

3) Eric Arnett, RHP, Grade B: Needs to sharpen his control, but power sinker is impressive, combines grounders and strikeouts, which I like. I think he'll take a big step forward in 2010.

Sickels' 2010 Top 20 for Milwaukee.

We just need to keep things in perspective. I like the additions of Jungmann & Bradley, but it will be interesting to see how each fares in 2012.

Yeah, I have a real problem ranking any draft pick until he actually throws in a minor league game.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Maybe he just missed an A, he surely knows that.

He definitely didn't miss an A as he spelled it out Double A... I would also go as far as to say i am very disappointed in sickles this year because I think a

.307/15/.390/.472 line is quite a bit better than "holding ones own" and "a little bit of pop" for a guy in a league full of much older players.

Gindl's minor league stats almost mirror Hart's, and Doug even said he's not sure why Gindl gets overlooked. I know he's 5-9...that may make him a bit more injury prone, or limit his power a bit, but he'd probably be 3rd or 4th if he were 6-2, 195. He might well be penciled in to RF as early as 2013, or at least a platoon spot.

I'd like to think that Gindl's stats are better than Hart's in part because he's played in leagues at a younger age, didn't play in High Desert, and consistently has had a better OBP. Perhaps he's similar to Hart, but I think he'd be a much better option in RF.

Gindl reminds me a lot of Matt Stairs well a younger Matt Stairs. To me Gindl could be a good option in the OF or he could be a platoon option or a 4th or 5th OF. Gindl is hard to project going forward because of his size and if he has a career like Stairs I would say that would be a success.

Gindl had pretty extreme home/road slugging splits, didn't he? Maybe that was Green, but I think it was Gindl.

It was Gindl. Sickles brought that up about 2/3rds through the season. Green, Schafer and Gamel were a bit more level for home/road splits (although, I think all had better road numbers). Gindl's was the most pronounced.

edit - Some of that discussion was here: http://brewersfandemonium...sion-Thread#reply-761985

As of Aug 30th, I had the following splits for those in question:

Gindl: 420/555

Schafer: 488/513

Green: 541/624

Gamel: 621/502

Yeah, that was the discussion -- thanks CWH. I like Gindl, Schafer, Gamel & Green. But think roughly Skip Schumacher to Jon Jay (I use Cardinals players since the Cards actually seem to give these guys chances to contribute) as the range for where those guys will wind up contributing in the bigs. Nothing wrong with that, you can save a lot of money by staying out of free agency for the bench or role players. I just hope the Brewers start using those three guys at the big-league level. Having Schafer as a CF option over Mark Kotsay would have been nice this season, for example. I think the Brewers will start Gindl, Green, & Schafer back in Nashville, and they'll be the first guys considered when a position player has to hit the DL. Ultimately, I think all three guys have fairly close overall values.

If Gindl can prove that his power isn't a western states PCL mirage, he becomes a lot more intriguing. He's been able to cut & hold his strikeout rate as a hitter, & it wouldn't surprise me if he goes all Taylor Green on the PCL in 2012.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Archived