Brewer Fanatic

Guess for Opening Day 2012 starting positional lineup.

Bombers

We have a lot of threads for all the different moves the Brewers could make. So I figured lets just have everyone take a stab at what they do. So if you were GM what would your starting positional lineup be for opening day 2012:

1. Reyes - Granted if he gets a Worth type deal, cross him off my list. He is the type of bat we need ... give me Reyes and Morgan at the top of that lineup and those are 2 hard outs. I want people on base for our run producers and not HR guys who hit solo shots because we have no one on base.

2. Morgan - Gomez bats 7/8th when in, and Hart jumps to 2.

3. Braun - Pujols hits 3rd. Just because Braun is our best player doesn't mean he hits 4th.

4. Weeks

5. Green - 3rd Base (Jerry platoon)

6. Hart - RF - he doesn't like batting 5th and I am sure they would break up the lefty bats.

7. Gamel - 1B - I would try and talk a Derek Lee into an open compitition on a 1 yr deal. But I bet he still wants to be a starter.

8. Lucroy

Green / Gamel can fight it out for 5th. Whoever is hotter gets it.

I wish we could have the money for Prince, Reyes, Greinke, and yes Marcum too ... but lets be real, we are not the Yankees. So unfortunately I think we have to let the big fella leave. Just can't afford him. I will be sad to see him leave as he will always be one of my favorite Brewers.

A copy and paste from a post I made earlier in another thread.

Trades:
Marcum and Hart to the Red Sox for Xander Bogaerts, Lars Anderson, and Felix Doubront
Gamel to the White Sox for Eduardo Escobar
McGehee to the Phillies for Matt Rizzotti

Resigning:
Hairston
Saito

FA:
Broxton 1-year $2.5m
Fukudome 3-years $24m
Scutaro 1-year $1.5m

2012 lineup
Morgan/Gomez CF
Hairston 3B
Weeks 2B
Braun LF
Fukudome RF
Anderson/Rizzotti 1B
Lucroy C
Escobar SS
P

Bench: Green, Rizzotti/Anderson, Scutaro, Gomez/Morgan, Kottaras
Rotation: Greinke, Gallardo, Wolf, Narveson, Fiers
Bullpen: Axford, Saito, Loe, Braddock, Broxton, Doubront, Rivas

1. Reyes SS

2. Morgan CF

3. Weeks

4. Braun LF

5. Gamel RF

6. Hart 1b

7. Green 3b

8. Lucroy

bench: McGehee 1b/3b, Gomez CF, Hairston UT, Maldanado C, Wilson SS. Against a righty the bench will be all right-handed. But vs a lefty we can put McGehee, Hairston, and Gomez into the lineup. Wilson is currently a decent option as the 25th man where he doesn't do much well, but does nothing terribly. He provides a versatile player that can play any position in a pinch, is cheap, and likely accepts his role

The real challenge is with the pitching staff with all the guys coming off the DL. We know Parra will likely be on the 60-day DL, but beyond that nobody really knows.

A copy and paste from a post I made earlier in another thread.

Trades:
Marcum and Hart to the Red Sox for Xander Bogaerts, Lars Anderson, and Felix Doubront
Gamel to the White Sox for Eduardo Escobar
McGehee to the Phillies for Matt Rizzotti

Resigning:
Hairston
Saito

FA:
Broxton 1-year $2.5m
Fukudome 3-years $24m
Scutaro 1-year $1.5m

2012 lineup
Morgan/Gomez CF
Hairston 3B
Weeks 2B
Braun LF
Fukudome RF
Anderson/Rizzotti 1B
Lucroy C
Escobar SS
P

Bench: Green, Rizzotti/Anderson, Scutaro, Gomez/Morgan, Kottaras
Rotation: Greinke, Gallardo, Wolf, Narveson, Fiers
Bullpen: Axford, Saito, Loe, Braddock, Broxton, Doubront, Rivas

Wow. I pretty much hate all of this except Scutaro (and he'll get more money than $1.5M. Probably a lot more).

Also, the Escobar/Gamel thing is OK I guess. I don't really value Gamel at all, so I guess if you can get something for him, fine.

The Red Sox trade is brutal. If we were tanking to rebuild, it'd be one thing, but you're obviously not rebuilding, so.........

And Fukudome for 3/$24 is horrible. Twice what he'll get. Or at least twice what he should get.

I obviously am not on the Brewer staff and have no inside knowledge, but mark my words. Carlos Gomez will not be on the 25 man roster come next spring. He is a .220 hitter for crying out loud. He can run and field, but nothing else. His decision making on the base paths and in the box is bad.

I think we need to stop penciling him in as an alternative to/with Morgan. They will either bring up an OF from the minors or pick up a RH OF on the open market.

P.S. - There is no chance of Mat Gamel being in the OF in 2012 either as some of you have suggested.

I obviously am not on the Brewer staff and have no inside knowledge, but mark my words. Carlos Gomez will not be on the 25 man roster come next spring. He is a .220 hitter for crying out loud. He can run and field, but nothing else. His decision making on the base paths and in the box is bad.

I think we need to stop penciling him in as an alternative to/with Morgan. They will either bring up an OF from the minors or pick up a RH OF on the open market.

P.S. - There is no chance of Mat Gamel being in the OF in 2012 either as some of you have suggested.

Completely disagree on Gomez. He'll be an incredibly cheap platoon mate for Morgan at worst. If not he's a great bench option because of his speed and defense. No way they let him walk. I do completely agree that Gamel won't be in the OF. He'll be at 1B or off the team. He didn't play any OF at Nashville this year. If him being an OF was in the cards, he would've been playing some in AAA last year.
Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

Completely disagree on Gomez. He'll be an incredibly cheap platoon mate for Morgan at worst. If not he's a great bench option because of his speed and defense. No way they let him walk. I do completely agree that Gamel won't be in the OF. He'll be at 1B or off the team. He didn't play any OF at Nashville this year. If him being an OF was in the cards, he would've been playing some in AAA last year.
I agree with you on Gomez. I don't see why people think he has no value. He has tremendous value as a defensive whiz in CF and as a pinch-runner. I actually wouldn't even mind it if he got the CF job full-time and hit 8th. People just need to accept that he won't be much of an offensive force but he shouldn't need to be with the way he plays defense. I think NLCS showed how important defense can be to teams. Gomez is one of, if not the best defensive CF in the game. You don't just cut a guy like that.
This is Jack Burton in the Pork Chop Express, and I'm talkin' to whoever's listenin' out there.

I agree with you on Gomez. I don't see why people think he has no value. He has tremendous value as a defensive whiz in CF and as a pinch-runner. I actually wouldn't even mind it if he got the CF job full-time and hit 8th. People just need to accept that he won't be much of an offensive force but he shouldn't need to be with the way he plays defense. I think NLCS showed how important defense can be to teams. Gomez is one of, if not the best defensive CF in the game. You don't just cut a guy like that.

I will jump in and agree with you two on Gomez. I would personally like to see him as our everyday CF and try to trade Morgan this offseason while his value if fairly high. I like Plush, but I think a meltdown is going to come sooner than later with him. I think the negative perception of Gomez is due to RRR batting him second for far too long the first half of the year. His speed and defense is far to valuable to deny. Like the previous OP said. I am more than happy with him batting 8th, and being the everyday CF.

I'm with you guys on Gomez batting 8th. He would look a lot less bad as an everyday player if he batted 8th. He is what he is at the plate, but his defense would be huge to have in the lineup on a daily basis. I'd be fine with him as our everyday CF if he hit 8th. I agree that him failing in the 2 hole is what made more people become negative towards him. I could see Morgan being shopped because his value is high right now. We do have Schafer, who could potentially get some starts in CF against RHP if he's on the roster. Or at least he'd be there in AAA if Gomez really struggled. I don't see Morgan having as good of year this year as he did last. Although he definitely is an ideal platoon mate in CF. I guess it depends on our other moves. If we get someone like Reyes to permanently hit at the top of the order, then we'll be fine with Gomez in CF. If not, I wouldn't be opposed to keeping Morgan.
Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

Gomez is still arguably the worst offensive outfielder in the league. His defense is outstanding--a 9.5/10. But Morgan is pretty good as an 8. Gomez really can't hit, especially off lefties. Morgan even openly admits he can't hit lefties. Whether or not they return depends on how much they'll make as a tandem.

Gomez is still arguably the worst offensive outfielder in the league. His defense is outstanding--a 9.5/10. But Morgan is pretty good as an 8. Gomez really can't hit, especially off lefties. Morgan even openly admits he can't hit lefties. Whether or not they return depends on how much they'll make as a tandem.

Did you mean righties because Gomez hit lefties pretty good this year. And I also don't think Morgan is as close to Gomez as some people think. He's 6 years older so his speed may start to decline and I also don't think he reads the ball off the bat as well as Gomez. He also has a noodle for an arm. If Gomez is a 9.5, I'd put Morgan at a 7, in which case I'll take the upgrade on defense over the downgrade on offense.

I think this team has been built too much around offense in the past and we need to start concentrating a little more on defense. We don't need every position to be great offensively, we just don't want anyone hurting the team (and I don't think Gomez will if he hits at the bottom). I will sacrifice some offense at SS and CF to put great defenders in the most important positions. Now we just need to find that great defensive SS.
This is Jack Burton in the Pork Chop Express, and I'm talkin' to whoever's listenin' out there.

The Red Sox trade is brutal. If we were tanking to rebuild, it'd be one thing, but you're obviously not rebuilding, so.........

The Red Sox really don't have any talent that is worth something for Hart and Marcum and Doubront is really the only real option that could be traded for in that deal that would be major league ready pitching wise otherwise you are looking at more A ball talent coming the Brewers way. I don't believe Iglesias would be available in that trade as the Red Sox are going to need a SS next season maybe if they sign Reyes they would part with Iglesias but you would have to be dreaming for that and plus I don't believe Iglesias is going to hit all that much but his defense is definitely top notch. This wouldn't be a rebuilding move I am really puzzled why people think you either have to go for it or rebuild. You should be putting trades together that will help you today along with helping you tomorrow. You still have to fill up a major league roster even if you are rebuilding. Only one of the players in that trade would be someone you would consider to be a rebuild. Bogaerts is the Red Sox best prospect by far he will be a great 3B or corner OF once he fills out.

And Fukudome for 3/$24 is horrible. Twice what he'll get. Or at least twice what he should get.

Fukudome is going to get somewhere between $6-8m a year I just chose the higher salary as the worst case scenario for a Fukudome signing.

The only trade that I really like that I suggested is the McGehee for Rizzotti as he is currently blocked in Philadelphia because of Howard. But that trade may not happen if Howard is to miss any significant time during the season with his injury. Both Rizzotti and Anderson could be good offensively though I have my doubts with Anderson. Rizzotti though is not a really good defensive 1B but that I can live with if he can out hit his defensive issues.

The Red Sox really don't have any talent that is worth something for Hart and Marcum and Doubront is really the only real option that could be traded for in that deal that would be major league ready pitching wise otherwise you are looking at more A ball talent coming the Brewers way. I don't believe Iglesias would be available in that trade as the Red Sox are going to need a SS next season maybe if they sign Reyes they would part with Iglesias but you would have to be dreaming for that and plus I don't believe Iglesias is going to hit all that much but his defense is definitely top notch. This wouldn't be a rebuilding move I am really puzzled why people think you either have to go for it or rebuild. You should be putting trades together that will help you today along with helping you tomorrow. You still have to fill up a major league roster even if you are rebuilding. Only one of the players in that trade would be someone you would consider to be a rebuild. Bogaerts is the Red Sox best prospect by far he will be a great 3B or corner OF once he fills out.

Fukudome is going to get somewhere between $6-8m a year I just chose the higher salary as the worst case scenario for a Fukudome signing.

The only trade that I really like that I suggested is the McGehee for Rizzotti as he is currently blocked in Philadelphia because of Howard. But that trade may not happen if Howard is to miss any significant time during the season with his injury. Both Rizzotti and Anderson could be good offensively though I have my doubts with Anderson. Rizzotti though is not a really good defensive 1B but that I can live with if he can out hit his defensive issues.

I guess I don't value Doubront much. Anderson is worthless. He's been very pedestrian recently. I admit to not knowing a ton about Bogaerts, other than he's a toolsy shortstop 3b type. In any case, Hart and Marcum are worth a hell of a lot more than that. If the Red Sox "don't have any talent that is worth something for Hart and Marcum", why are we talking about the Red Sox?

I don't see any way Fukudome gets $6-$8M/year. And if he does, let somebody else give it to him. He's a 4th OF/platoon guy. No way is he worth that.

Rizzotti is another guy I don't know a whole lot about. I would do the deal because McGehee is garbage. I should've said that in my first post.

I don't see a lot happening this off season and I really don't think there needs to be. As long as we have Greinke, Yo and Marcum we'll compete for the division again. An improvement at SS and a stronger bench will go a long way in filling in for the loss of Fielder.

1. Weeks 2b

2. Scutaro ss (FA, 2/8-10mil)

3. Braun lf

4. Hart rf

5. Gamel/Robinson (Wolf to KC) 1b

6. Lucroy c

7. Green/McGehee/Gamel 3b

8. Gomez/Morgan cf

Bench: Morgan, Hairston (resign), Reed Johnson (FA), Clint Robinson (trade Wolf to KC), Kottaras, McGehee

Rotation:

1. Greinke

2. Gallardo

3. Marcum

4. Narveson

5. Estrada

Pen:

Axford

Saito (resign)

Hawkins (resign)

Loe

Braddock/Parra

C Lucroy

1B Gamel/RH vet (FA)

2B Weeks

3B Green/RH vet (FA)

SS Santiago (FA)

LF Braun

CF Morgan/Gomez

RF Hart

If not Ramon Santiago, then I hope the Brewers can sign Barmes at short. Neither one should break the bank, and would look good on 2-year deals if that was needed to sign them.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I wanted to bump this to say that this is the most anticipation I've had for an offseason, ever. I feel like last year's trades were such surprises, but this go-round we know there will be big changes. I'm secretly hoping there's a huge addition at SS or 1B/3B.
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Just for fun:

1B Gamel

2B Green

SS Reyes

3B Aramis Ramirez

LF Braun

CF Fowler

RF Hart

C Lucroy

Weeks, Morgan, McGehee, Marcum and Fiers are sent in a blockbuster 10 player deal to the Rockies for Dexter Fowler, Juan Nicasio, Matt Belisle, Josh Roenicke, and Chad Bettis

Reyes and Ramirez are signed as FA with the money saved via the departures of Fielder, Weeks and Marcum. Morgan and McGee are wash with Belisle and Fowler salary wise.

Real prizes for the Brewes are Nicasio and Bettis. Roenicke is thrown in as obvious nepotism play. Belisle is key to bolster bullpen. From Rox perspective, the prize is Weeks and they get a veteran to stabilize a young rotation.

Remember, this is just for fun as nobody really knows.

Lineup would be: Reyes, Fowler, Braun, Gamel, Ramirez, Hart, Green, Lucroy, Pitcher.

Hart to the Braves for Beachy and Martin Prado. The Brewers would probably have to give up a little more. Beachy gives Melvin the flexibility of looking at offers for Marcum or Wolf. Also, puts Narveson in the pen. Prado gives the Brewers a platoon option with Taylor Green who can also be the right handed outfield bat off the bench. Gomez is a pinch runner/defensive replacement only. To replace Cort Hart in the outfield, I would like to see them go after Michael Cuddyer or Josh Willingham. Willingham might mean Braun moving to RF. Bullpen, I would like to see them go after Matt Capps if one or both of Saito and Hawkins leave or retire. If there is an additional money available, I would like to see them go after Ryan Doumit. I am going with Yunesky coming back unless they trade Wolf or Marcum for a SS.

Morgan
Gamel
Braun
Weeks
Cuddyer/Willingham
Green
Betancourt
Lucroy

Bench: Prado, Hairston, Doumit, Gomez, leave the last spot open for a 3rd catcher or Logan Schafer

Gallardo, Greinke, Wolf, Marcum, Beachy
Axford, Capps, Saito, Narveson, Braddock, Fiers, Loe (I would prefer to see another young arm with the last spot)

The line up might look weak to some of the other suggestions, but having the flexibility with Prado, Doumit, and Hairston with legit bats off the bench (aka Cardinals) along with Willingham or Cuddyer being able to cover 1B if Gamel struggles is huge.

If Attanasio is not just blowing smoke, and they actually do sign Fielder:

C Lucroy

1B Fielder

2B Weeks

SS Acquired in trade of Hart

3B Green

LF Braun

CF Morgan/Gomez

RF Gamel

Bench: Hairston (utility IF/OF), Kottaras ©, Veteran RH corner OF, McGehee (unless they think he'll get too much in arby, then I'd get a "defensive specialist" utility IF), Morgan/Gomez

SP Gallardo

SP Greinke

SP Marcum

SP Wolf

SP Narveson

Bullpen: Axford, Saito, Hawkins, de la Cruz, Braddock, Kintzler, Estrada

If we do not sign Fielder, but still have the money available I would sign Reyes at SS, keep Hart in RF and Gamel at 1B

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Brewers Sign

Casey Kotchman 1 year 4 million with another 2 million in GP bonus'

Grady Sizemore 1 year 7 million with another 3 million in GP bonus'

Joel Zumaya 1 year 2.5 million

Alex Gonzalez 2 year 4 million

Brewers Trade (able parts)

Corey Hart

Casey McGehee

Shaun Marcum

So the Brewers team of only the locks to remain would be:

C- Jonathan LuCroy

1st - Casey Kotchman

2nd - Rickie Weeks

SS - Alex Gonzalez

3rd - Taylor Green

LF - Ryan Braun

CF - Nyger Morgan

RF - Grady Sizemore

Starting Rotation

Yovanni Gallardo

Zach Grienke

Randy Wolf

Chris Naverson

??? / Wily Peralta (when he earns a rotation spot)

Bullpen

Jonathan Axford

Joel Zumaya

Brandon Kintzler

Kameron Loe

Bench

Jerry Hairston, George Kottaras, Carlos Gomez, Matt Gamel (Backup plan for Kotchman)

So looking at things the Brewers needs are as follows.

1 - Additional Starting Pitcher

2 - Additional bullpen arms

3 - Upgrade at SS

4 - Upgrade at 3rd Base

5 - Bench Player

Following my plan the Brewers would then have Corey Hart would be the only player for sure needing to be traded. Shaun Marcum could be traded or kept for the rotation spot available. Casey McGehee could be kept to fill one of the remaining bench spots or could be traded (or non tendered) for a more pressing need.

On my way out the door when I get home tonight Ill try and see if I missed anything and will edit from there. This may not be the sexiest offseason and I doubt that is going to be the reality of what happens but it's my tentative conservative plan. With Sizemore bouncing back, Kotchman on regressing slightly and Zumaya staying healthy this Brewers team could still be very, very good.

CF Morgan

1B Gamel
LF Braun
2B Weeks
RF Hart
3B Green
SS Barmes / someone via trade or some free agent that isn't Jose Reyes
C Lucroy

Greinke
Gallardo
Marcum
Wolf
Narveson

Estrada, Hawkins, Axford, and some new dudes in the 'pen.

Hairston, Gomez, and Maldanado or Kottares off the bench.

I would prefer they go this route and make the priority a good shortstop, but I wouldn't be surprised if Gamel or Green got moved. Seems like they might be hesitant to start two rookies next year, but I'd be okay with it as long as there are some decent backups off our bench. I don't think McGehee has value to this team at this point, mostly because of his poor defense. I hope they trade him and somehow get someone useful.

Hairston is a great back-up plan for 3B, SS, AND CF in case of injury or underperformance... and it'd be great if they could get a guy to platoon with Gamel if need be. The Morgan/Gomez platoon is pretty ideal to me. I prefer Gomez's defense but because of his terrible OBP I'd like Morgan starting 4-5 days a week.

Hart to the Braves for Beachy and Martin Prado. The Brewers would probably have to give up a little more.

The Brewers would have to give up a lot more. It would take Hart + prospects to land Beachy.

I'm not sure how well the Brewers match up with the Braves at this point as both teams are looking to win now.

"Fiers, Bill Hall and a lucky SSH winner will make up tomorrow's rotation." AZBrewCrew

Archived