Brewer Fanatic

Please do not sign Fielder thread

Hammer
JonnyLungs]Did I hear that wrong on MLB Network's Hot Stove Show where they said Prince offered to sign an extension with the Brewers at 8 years/$176 million? That was the first I heard something like that and I wasn't even paying close enough attention to who actually said that, but the point of the conversation was that his asking price has now gone up over $200 million.

Haven't heard anything like that, so I think you may have just misheard something.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

• Replies 495
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I tend to remember that incident more than the average person because Manny was my favorite prospect. Plus, while it may be coincidence, if you look at Manny's career splits pre-assault and post-assault you will see a drastically different pitcher.

http://brewersfandemonium...Narveson-up#reply-539060

trwi7 wrote:

Hammer wrote: Does anyone have the "magic" to run his numbers pre and post Prince Fielder assault in the dugout? Curious...

Pre Prince (includes 2007): 145.1 IP, 3.90 ERA, 1.49 WHIP, 9.10 H/9, 4.33 BB/9, 7.61 K/9

Post Prince (includes playoffs): 108 IP, 6.42 ERA, 1.81 WHIP, 11.67 H/9, 4.58 BB/9, 8.5 K/9

@BrewCrewCritic on Twitter "Racing Sausages" - "Huh?"

I tend to remember that incident more than the average person because Manny was my favorite prospect. Plus, while it may be coincidence, if you look at Manny's career splits pre-assault and post-assault you will see a drastically different pitcher.

http://brewersfandemonium...Narveson-up#reply-539060

trwi7 wrote:

Hammer wrote: Does anyone have the "magic" to run his numbers pre and post Prince Fielder assault in the dugout? Curious...

Pre Prince (includes 2007): 145.1 IP, 3.90 ERA, 1.49 WHIP, 9.10 H/9, 4.33 BB/9, 7.61 K/9

Post Prince (includes playoffs): 108 IP, 6.42 ERA, 1.81 WHIP, 11.67 H/9, 4.58 BB/9, 8.5 K/9

http://i.imgur.com/Hl0bU.gif

I love how you never really have anything to add dlk9s...just another snarky gif. Great addition to the conversation!
Why write 1,000 words when I can just post a picture that says it all?
And the Words Above Replacement for 1 picture is 1000, so I have to agree with dlk9s. Keep em coming

I think pretty commonly that Boras clients sign later, typically in December.
Yea, that generally has seemed to be the case. Sometimes there will be stories about random Boras clients who supposedly aren't drawing as much interest as expected, then the player ends up getting his big money. I have no idea who Prince will end up signing with and/or if Boras can get the 7-8 years he's trying to get for Fielder, but i have no doubt that eventually some team will pony up way more cash than the Brewers could ever he bother considering.

I think, with the way the market has shaped up, the odds of the Brewers signing Prince have increased. But they've increased from a microscopic amount to a slightly less microscopic amount. I mean, who is going to throw a ton of money at this guy? The Mariners?

Oh, someone most definitely will. Boras gets his clients the money they want. That's why they hire him. I would say it will be another month or so before he signs. If I recall with Teixeira, he signed either at the end of December or at the beginning of January.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Oh, someone most definitely will. Boras gets his clients the money they want. That's why they hire him. I would say it will be another month or so before he signs. If I recall with Teixeira, he signed either at the end of December or at the beginning of January.
Teixeira signed right around Christmas. Either before or after it, so you're right on.

Also, most of the recent big money FA contracts are signed in December - Werth, Crawford, CC, Lee, Teixeira, Zito. A few will linger into January - Matt Holiday, Beltran. Heck, Manny waited until March if I recall correctly. A few guys sign early - I think Soriano signed in Nov. Same with Torii Hunter. But most of them know that waiting will result in big dollars.

Boras's personna has taken some hits as well. The AROD fiasco where AROD basically had to take over the negotiations and the biggest one I can remember was the absolutely outlandish contract request by Jason Varitek, as I recall Boras was asking for like 3 years for $45 million and Varitek ended up signing for 1 or 2 years and was way below the price tag.

The new draft rules will hurt Boras somewhat as well.

I'm on record that Prince won't get 8 years for $195 million.

I am on record for saying I dont care if he goes to the Cubs. I used to care, but I hope they give him 7-8 years and over 20 million per. That way, the Cubs wont have anyone to help him win in the next 3 years and by the time they rebuild he will be old an fatter and an albatross.

Again, I dont want him to go to Chicago, but I dont really care that he does, so long as it appears to hurt them in the long run.

I really don't care where he goes, either. It's a business and he is a free agent. He played hard and great for the Brewers and I always loved watching him play, or at least hit. I won't have any hard feelings regardless of where he goes. He was a great Brewer, he lived up to his end of the deal, and so it goes.

If hypothetically we were looking at giving Prince 6/120 (under the premise that he'd accept that)...I'd much rather sign Jimmy Rollins and Aramis Ramirez for a total of around 4/80.

Whether we do something like this with the money we save or not, it's obvious that it'd be much smarter to simply let Prince walk and move on with our offseason.

If hypothetically we were looking at giving Prince 6/120 (under the premise that he'd accept that)...I'd much rather sign Jimmy Rollins and Aramis Ramirez for a total of around 4/80.

Whether we do something like this with the money we save or not, it's obvious that it'd be much smarter to simply let Prince walk and move on with our offseason.

I don't think you'd be able to get both of those for that price. Rollins might be 4/48 himself and Ramirez at least 3/36, possibly even more. I think we should just concentrate on SS and let Green/Gamel have 3rd/1st. We need young, cheap talent on the roster and if we sign someone at 3rd/1st/SS, all we'd have to fit that description is Lucroy, Gomez, and a few pitchers.

This is Jack Burton in the Pork Chop Express, and I'm talkin' to whoever's listenin' out there.

Not always. He gets his clients the money he wants when he gets the big boys (Yankees and Red Sox) in the bidding. Now I wouldn't put it past him or the Yankees that they are secretly in the bidding, but I'm skeptical he'll get anywhere near his asking price if the bidders are teams like the Marlins, Orioles or Mariners. Bidding against those teams, I wouldn't count the Brewers out so quickly. The Brewers haven't spent a dime so far. They raised ticket prices fairly significantly. They have a lot of money that will come off the books after 2012, and some they could still unload this year. They are in position to at least bid on Fielder or Reyes.

Archived