Brewer Fanatic

Please do not sign Fielder thread

Hammer
After Pujols is done "Jeter"-ing and re-signs with Cards after his flirtation with the Marlins to drive up his price, I think Miami will go hard after Fielder. Sure the team is in a tough division and will have to sign a few more pieces to compete but hey, no state income tax! At least that would mean he doesn't end up with the Cubs. That's the one move on his part that would make me hate him.
Gruber Lawffices

• Replies 495
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think the only way the Brewers will have a chance at Fielder is if Miami signs Pujols. Because if Miami doesn't get Pujols, then, as the poster above this says, then they will go after Fielder hard and overpay for him.
Yeah, I agree with this. I highly doubt the Marlins get Pujols, so I think it's a likely destination for Prince. He lives in Florida, and likes being home. Plus, as you said, they'll pay him a lot.
Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

I'm starting to think all this Miami stuff is strictly for PR. In going after these guys, they get a ton of free publicity and spread the perception they are building a winner. They'll probably need to sign someone to sell some season tickets, but they haven't even sealed the deal on Reyes yet. You also have to consider that the owner is a notorious cheapskate.

It is looking more and more mathematically impossible for the Brewers to sign Fielder unless they trade away a few other players with big contracts

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/133776518.html

We've known this all along. This is the number 1 reason why he won't return. If the Brewers could afford it, I honestly believe he would be back. But that's not the case.
Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

Melvin meeting with Boras today.

Melvin said he didn't expect anything of real substance to come out of the meeting.

"At least while we're together, we might as well talk," said Melvin, sounding not-so-enthused. "Or look at each other.

"I don't anticipate a lot happening. It's important because we haven't talked to each other since the end of the year. We can see what his schedule is and see if there's another time (to talk)."

Wow, Melvin not really shading his feelings at this point.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Scott Boras had some comments about Fielder and Milwaukee.

After reading that, I wonder if Boras and Prince aren't finding a very hot market and are trying to get Milwaukee to enter the bidding.

A not-hot market, and a special 3-4 punch... plus these are the guys Prince has played with since he was 18... maybe it's not so much as enter the bidding as it is the Brewers have a legit shot to sign Prince.

Boras' comments on the Brewers and Prince are interesting. I believe Boras calculated that AT LEAST the Brewers would make an offer to Prince and have it in his back pocket to use as leverage with other teams. This is a combination of shrewdness and necessity on the Brewers part. Unlike the CC sweepstakes the Brewers don't need the false PR and to be used to drive up the contract price because most fans counted Prince as gone at the end of the season and we're coming off an NLCS appearance. I don't believe the Brewers will make an offer to Prince unless they believe they have a real shot and it is right around what they offered 2 years ago.

Obviously I believe because of the skill of both Boras and Prince another team will make a great offer for Prince, but the Brewers not participating is throwing a small wrench in the Boras strategy, nice to see.

The Brewers would be really foolish to resign Prince UNLESS he's willing to take the original offer they gave him of 20MM a year. Other than that it just doesn't make sense financially. The 1-2 punch is epic, but unless Fielder's suddenly willing to take what would likely be the worst offer on the table, it's just not realistic.

Maybe, but I think it's interesting that not one team has been seriously linked to Fielder as of yet.
I was thinking about this yesterday. To Boras, the Brewers have been the last option for Prince, so the fact he is publicly trying the get the Brewers into the fold this early tells me he seriously overvalued the market for Fielder.

Prince Fielder seeks 200 million contract according to Heyman. Mark A hasn't given up on trying to sign Fielder, but doesn't want to give an offer that Boras can use to shop Fielder to other clubs.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2011/11/prince-fielder-seeks-200mm.html

Robin Yount - “But what I'd really like to tell you is I never dreamed of being in the Hall of Fame. Standing here with all these great players was beyond any of my dreams.”

$200 million is crazy money for a Designated Hitter type who tends to display greatness only every other year and is due for a down year in 2012. Can you say 29 HR's and a .276 batting average? I know you can..

His last 2 "down" years he hit 32 and 34 home runs, and had a .871 and .879 OPS. I'm not sure where your getting the 29 hrs from, but who cares if he has a .276 BA, his OBP has been over .400 the last 3 seasons.

The man is only 27 years old, has been extremely durable, and is well on his way to a hall of fame career. Add in the fact that he is a great teammate and that he is extremely marketable, I don't think it's so crazy to think he'll get a $200 million deal. I think he's going to be a lot harder to replace than a lot of Brewers fans think. It makes me kind of sad to see this topic, I wish the title would change to something else like, "Prince Fielder thread".

His last 2 "down" years he hit 32 and 34 home runs, and had a .871 and .879 OPS. I'm not sure where your getting the 29 hrs from, but who cares if he has a .276 BA, his OBP has been over .400 the last 3 seasons.

The man is only 27 years old, has been extremely durable, and is well on his way to a hall of fame career. Add in the fact that he is a great teammate and that he is extremely marketable, I don't think it's so crazy to think he'll get a $200 million deal. I think he's going to be a lot harder to replace than a lot of Brewers fans think. It makes me kind of sad to see this topic, I wish the title would change to something else like, "Prince Fielder thread".

Changed that for sarcasm. "a great teammate"? Really? I'm going to pose that question to Manny Parra on Twitter and see what his reply is...
@BrewCrewCritic on Twitter "Racing Sausages" - "Huh?"

$200 million is crazy money for a Designated Hitter type who tends to display greatness only every other year and is due for a down year in 2012. Can you say 29 HR's and a .276 batting average? I know you can..

Good point about the OBP... that said:

Its all relative, but you pay a guy $20 million a year to hit like he did in '11, '09 and '07, (OPS of .981, 1.014, 1.013) and not like he did in '10, '08 and '06 (OPS of .871, .879, and .831)

Fielder isn't consistently hitting like a Superstar. Its every other year with him. He wants Pujols money but he doesn't produce like Pujols consistently every year

This year was Pujols' worst year and he still hit 37 HR's

Did I hear that wrong on MLB Network's Hot Stove Show where they said Prince offered to sign an extension with the Brewers at 8 years/$176 million? That was the first I heard something like that and I wasn't even paying close enough attention to who actually said that, but the point of the conversation was that his asking price has now gone up over $200 million.

Changed that for sarcasm. "a great teammate"? Really? I'm going to pose that question to Manny Parra on Twitter and see what his reply is...

You can base your opinion off of one incident that happened a couple of years ago and I'll base it off the many comments I've heard from coaches and teammates, and what I've seen from watching him the last 6 seasons.

Yeah, yeah, we know you hate Prince Fielder. You bring it up whenever you can.

Archived