Brewer Fanatic

Please do not sign Fielder thread

Hammer
  • Replies 495
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://images.yuku.com/image/pjpeg/da4154908665c831d1fc51d7f99ae7096e4dd9f.pjpeg

I saved this picture from a Pujols age thread a few years ago. This is him at 27.

He might not be lying about his age, but he looks a lot older than most people I know to be his same age.

EDIT: That before picture above^ is awesome.

Pujols is a bit different case than most of those players though. He did come over to the states at 16 years of age and his career path fits the age he is supposed to be pretty much. I don't see a major reason to question his age like some of the other players that get questioned.

How does his career path fit the age he is supposed to be? As a 21 year old rookie he was mashing, hitting for power with patience. Yea he is good, but thats not the standard career path at all. And he was already filled out his year in the minors. There is nothing standard about him.

His peak for hitting would look to be 2003-2009, those were his age 23-29 years. That is pretty much what I'd consider standard for star players. If he were 3 years older or something that would look very odd for a player of his caliber.

I think Pujols is just one of those rare once in a decade or generation type talents like Babe Ruth, Hank Aaron, Mickey Mantle, Ken Griffey Jr, etc. Would love to hear about him having done steroids or lied about his age, but I doubt we ever will. I think he's just a freak of nature.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

He might not be lying about his age, but he looks a lot older than most people I know to be his same age

Greg Oden looked 35+ when he was 20.

He looked exactly like grandpa LeBron.

http://fansided.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/lebronoden.jpg

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

If the Dodgers get new ownership soon, they are virtually guaranteed to be in the running. The Nationals have been rumored to be in the running for every big free agent, so they will be too. The Cubs is a question mark. Depends on what Epstein wants to do. I think he'll address pitching first. The Orioles will definitely be in it. I also think the Mariners, Marlins, Angels, and Blue Jays will be in the mix.
Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

I don't think any of those three teams will be in the Fielder sweepstakes. The only team I can think of that makes sense for Prince is Baltimore.
Baltimore doesn't make sense for any FA that places any importance on playing for a winner.

I think Attanasio is prepared to go $135 million over 6 ($22 million per year, with a team option for year 7 and a $3 million buyout). I believe most the teams mentioned have interest around that level and length but not higher. The one possible exception is the Angels. Kendrys Morales has played 51 games in the last two years. Torii Hunter and Bobby Abreu come off their books after 2012.

If I had to bet, Prince will either still be a Brewer or he'll be an Angel.

To keep with the Pujols age discussion, from Keith Law's chat about his Top 50 FA list:

Joseph (St. Louis)

How likely to you think it is that Pujols actually is older than his listed age? 10% chance? 20%? And how likely is it that this slight uncertainty will impact the contract he gets?

Klaw (1:21 PM)

I'm not sure how to handicap it, but the subject keeps coming up when I'm talking to front office people. If some GMs will shy away, or offer fewer years, because in the backs of their minds they're worried he's a year or two older than his listed age, isn't that relevant to this discussion here?

So FOs are worried about it.

Baltimore doesn't make sense for any FA that places any importance on playing for a winner.

If you're represented by Boras, it's generally safe to assume that you aren't concerned only with winning. Except maybe in the Charlie Sheen sense. You don't often hear of his guys passing up a few million extra bucks to play for a contender.

ESPN has a great article from Jason Stark about Fielder and Pujols as free agents. Here is an exerpt that I found the most interesting:

"Realistically," one agent wondered, "how could a National League

team give a guy with a body like that seven or eight years? I think he

could get five years at good money from a National League team, but not

seven or eight."

One baseball executive echoed those sentiments, and not just

because of Prince's svelte physique. The other big factor here: "His

genes."

"Even though he's only 27, which is super young for a guy entering

free agency, you have to look beyond that," the exec said. "Anybody who

cites his age should also look at his dad."

That would be Cecil Fielder, another wide-bodied bopper whose aging

pattern could be very instructive for teams looking hard at Prince.

Cecil hit 51 homers at age 26 and 44 at age 27 and then never hit 40

again. He also ceased to be a full-time first baseman after 30, never

playing more than 80 games in the field in any of his final four

seasons. And he was done for good after 34.

The potential suitor list for Fielder seems to shrink daily. Nolan Ryan pretty clearly stated that the Rangers (a team that could have afforded to make a big bid) isn't interested. Eliminating a team like the Rangers will cost Fielder. I think some of the remaining teams out there that have been linked are in situations where their interest depends on the price tag and they're thinking in amounts far less than Boras is. Right now I think the Brewers attention is on Reyes but it could go back to Fielder if the market collapses enough.

Then there is the ace that Boras holds. If the market collapses enough, he could opt to accept the Brewer arbitration offer and figure Prince could have more appeal next year, when the Cubs will be further along, and Pujols won't be out there taking potential Fielder suitors away.

Now suppose Attanasio lands Reyes and Fielder decides to accept arby which figures to be around $20 million. That would put the Brewers in a payroll bind for 2012 though I'd assume they'd then try to deal at least one of not two starters in that scenario, but imagine for a second a lineup (at least for one year) with Reyes and Fielder.

Now suppose Attanasio lands Reyes and Fielder decides to accept arby which figures to be around $20 million. That would put the Brewers in a payroll bind for 2012 though I'd assume they'd then try to deal at least one of not two starters in that scenario, but imagine for a second a lineup (at least for one year) with Reyes and Fielder.

That makes me giddy.

From keeping up on the news a tad this week, I gather we can cross Texas, Baltimore and the LA Dodgers of the list. Who does that leave? I suppose Washington, Toronto, San Francisco and the Cubs and Angels, with perhaps one of the monopoly money Eastern seaboard teams getting in on things for an expensive DH.

From keeping up on the news a tad this week, I gather we can cross Texas, Baltimore and the LA Dodgers of the list. Who does that leave? I suppose Washington, Toronto, San Francisco and the Cubs and Angels, with perhaps one of the monopoly money Eastern seaboard teams getting in on things for an expensive DH.
But will they take Fielder or Pujols?

I'm beginning to think the Crew has a good chance. If Prince will accept deferred money as Braun did, they could swing that 7-year deal. It would make sense baseball-wise (one of the top 1Bs stays in Milwaukee and DOESN'T play for a potentially viable playoff opponent), it makes sense in terms of keeping the fans happy, and it gives Prince post-baseball income (which he might not object to having).

2012-2019: $24 million ($8 million deferred)

2022-2037: $4 million deferred/year

2012-2019: $24 million ($8 million deferred)

2022-2037: $4 million deferred/year

That could be a potentially franchise crippling deal.
OK, the Brewers are deferring a chunk of Braun's salary from 2022-2030. And given that the payroll is around $90 million, deferral and keeping Prince's salary at the 2011-2012 level doesn't break the team. And constant playoff runs from 2012-2015 would add value to the franchise. Better TV deal, constant fans in attendance paying better ticket prices (3 million fans a year), and more national recognition will keep the club in the black. And by 2022-2037, deferred salary will not be so bad as part of the whole payroll.

If I'm the Brewers, I'd do a 6/$140 deal, with a $30 million vesting option for a 7th year based on games played in 2017. I'd also allow Prince an out after 2014. To get this done, there would have to be some creative deferring of money- I'm talking some of it ten years out.

Even if Prince is "worth" what it will take to sign him (I have my doubts), the Brewers shouldn't do it. For years they have been all hitting and no pitching. They need to turn their focus to pitching and defense and let Prince go.
This is Jack Burton in the Pork Chop Express, and I'm talkin' to whoever's listenin' out there.

Archived