Brewer Fanatic

Please do not sign Fielder thread

Hammer
Stevo wrote:

logan3825 wrote:

I will not boo or cheer Fielder no matter which team he goes to. I never warmed up to him. I don't think it is because I knew he would be gone in a few years because I haven't warmed up to Braun either. I just hope Fielder doesn't end up in the NL. I don't want to see a competitor get better.

Out of sheer curiosity, who have you warmed up to?

Betancourt

and Kotsay. Those guys are the coolest.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

• Replies 495
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I will not boo or cheer Fielder no matter which team he goes to. I never warmed up to him. I don't think it is because I knew he would be gone in a few years because I haven't warmed up to Braun either. I just hope Fielder doesn't end up in the NL. I don't want to see a competitor get better.
Out of sheer curiosity, who have you warmed up to?
I would love to know the answer to this as well. What Brewer players do you like logan?

yeah, I haven't warmed up to my wife, either. I've only been with her for 11 years but, you know, she won't be around forever so I might as well not get very comfortable having her around. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/eyes.gif

I honestly don't know why you even follow this team.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

Weeks is my favorite, followed by Hart and Gallardo then Lucroy. I don't get to attached to players because they tend to turn over pretty quickly in Milwaukee. Braun sort of rubs me the wrong way. I don't dislike him and am very glad he is on our team but he isn't one of my favorites.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

I just hope Fielder doesn't end up in the NL. I don't want to see a competitor get better.
They would be better in the near-term, but if they overpay on years or money he could hamstring them for quite a bit on the back end - so it wouldn't be the worst thing for him to end up in the NL. Just hoping for an upper division team so the comp pick is a first rounder.

yeah, I haven't warmed up to my wife, either. I've only been with her for 11 years but, you know, she won't be around forever so I might as well not get very comfortable having her around. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/eyes.gif

I honestly don't know why you even follow this team.

There's something strange about being a Brewers fan while not being especially fond of Braun's and Fielder's personalities? I don't understand this. I've been a Brewers fan for decades, and the star players often haven't been my personal favorites. On this year's team, there are a lot of guys I like personally more than Braun or Fielder -- Weeks, Lucroy, Gallardo, Axford, Greinke, Counsell, probably more if I think about it.

Also, if you look at the quote, logan said he DID NOT think his feelings about Fielder had to do with the fact that Fielder wouldn't be around forever.

I'll miss Fielder's bat, and I've grown to like him pretty well, but I won't have much of an emotional reaction to losing him.

If Prince signs with the Cubs or Cardinals, he'll be dead to me. I would boo him every time I see him play. Any other team, and I'll still cheer him on. But you don't go to a top rival of your former club and pretend it's not going to affect the fans.

I still don't get why people say they will boo him. Yes he could be on a rival team but that doesn't negate what he's done for the Brewers in his career. I'm not saying he should be cheered but there's no way he should be booed. What's wrong with just being indifferent, no cheers, no boos. People like Sheffield should be booed but not Prince.

Actually, I like Fielder just fine as well but if he's a Cub I'll boo him. I won't think less of him, but it would just feel like a bit of a slap in the face and I'll be happy to let him know how I feel about his decision. It's not like he's being traded, he would be choosing to go and play for the biggest rival of the organization he's spent his entire career with thus far. I don't think being a fan of a particular team and being indifferent really go together.

I'm sort of coming to terms with the distinct possibility and reality of Prince soon becoming a Chicago Cub. I think getting Epstein solidified my mindset of them being his #1 suitor. They will want to make a splash and do it also at the expense of weakening a divisional foe at the same time. They will undoubtedly make a bold signing to try and rekindle fan support in Chicago and why not start with an all-star player at a position of need for the team? We all know based on Red Sox 1B of his tenure, Epstein only sets his sights on the BEST available player. I see them giving him a 7 year deal. Here's my thought: I am against the sentiment that the back end of any deal he signs will not look good. I think for the Cubs, the first 3 years will not look good. Sure, Prince will produce...but his team will stink or be mediocre at best. When he's in the middle of the deal, the team should start being more competitive and his value will be more evident to the organization playing meaningful games.

I know it is meat-headish (word?) but I cannot wish Prince well or root for him as a member of one of the top two teams I dislike (Cubs/Cards). Also, it irritates me that he is all about the money. He's made no qualms about his desire to test the market and break the bank in FA. His right? Yes. But it doesn't mean we have to like it. Look at Braun: he signed two club-friendly deals to ensure his long-term financial security.

My biggest hope is that Prince continues to be a productive player, stays healthy, and performs well........for a losing organization. I would love to see him watch a Brewers team from afar that is still successful and winning even without him. I'd love to have him watch his friends that he grew up with in the organization enjoy much success and have him wish he was still a Milwaukee Brewer. I hope he never wins a World Series and the Brewers win one soon so he feels slighted of the opportunity to share in the moment with his boys. That's just me...

I'm sort of coming to terms with the distinct possibility and reality of Prince soon becoming a Chicago Cub. I think getting Epstein solidified my mindset of them being his #1 suitor. They will want to make a splash and do it also at the expense of weakening a divisional foe at the same time.

You are right, however I believe the Cubs will get Pujols and not Fielder for those exact reasons. Pujols is the better option and Epstein knows he cannot hide Prince's bad D at DH like he could with Ortiz. My money is on Prince going to either Seattle, Anaheim, or Baltimore.

I'm sort of coming to terms with the distinct possibility and reality of Prince soon becoming a Chicago Cub. I think getting Epstein solidified my mindset of them being his #1 suitor. They will want to make a splash and do it also at the expense of weakening a divisional foe at the same time.

You are right, however I believe the Cubs will get Pujols and not Fielder for those exact reasons. Pujols is the better option and Epstein knows he cannot hide Prince's bad D at DH like he could with Ortiz. My money is on Prince going to either Seattle, Anaheim, or Baltimore.

Epstein spoke directly in his press conference about targeting players during their primes in the FA market (ages 27-32). He basically removed himself from the Pujols discussion.

Not sure he's going to be overly involved with Fielder either, to be honest. The Cubs window is 3-4 years away, Epstein knows that and won't be under pressure to win immediately given his track record and long contract.

Epstein spoke directly in his press conference about targeting players during their primes in the FA market (ages 27-32). He basically removed himself from the Pujols discussion.

Well Pujols is 31 so I'm not sure how he removed himself from the Pujols discussion by that statement.

Well Pujols is 31 so I'm not sure how he removed himself from the Pujols discussion by that statement.

I can see the argument that he removed himself from Pujols discussion by saying he targets players in their prime at the age range listed above. Meaning to me, the end of their "prime" comes at 32. Thus, why would you sign a player to the tail end of his best years? He also said he was going to pay guys for their future performance and not past accomplishments.

Epstein doesn't have anything to prove next year. IMO the last thing he should do is try to make a splash and add another 6-7 year contract onto those bloated contracts they have. The Cubs are not going to win next year no matter what, so if I was in his position I would wait it out and keep the contracts limited to 1-2 year deals and get Votto or trade for a 1B few years when it will put them over the top. The Cubs have a lot of holes and 1 signing won't fix them. You can make a change in the direction of the club by being fiscally responsible. With Soriano, Z, Fukudome coming off of the books I would align the team to contend in 2-3 years. They are going to build from within the same way the Red Sox and Yanks do by overspending in the draft, this will allow them to draft some players that could be up in that same time frame if the new CBA doesn't change how the draft is operated.

As for Fielder it's obvious he is going to chase the money I would just rather not face him 18 times or whatever for the next few seasons.

Because he'd be paying for 7+ years of Pujols outside the 27-32 age range.

Guys have been lying about their ages since forever. Simply put, younger guys get a longer look from the scouts, and in turn have a higher earning potential. The focus is obviously on the Latin American countries these days because I would guess that everyone would look with a jaded eye at any 'big kid' these days since that Almonte in the LLWS. Since the Patriot Act, lots of these guys have been getting caught due to exit/entry the country. Not sure that would apply to Pujols. However, since he's now a U.S. citizen you have to give him benefit of the doubt, you'd assume he'd have had to provide a ton of documentation. Still fun to speculate, because I can't stand the guy.

Pujols is a bit different case than most of those players though. He did come over to the states at 16 years of age and his career path fits the age he is supposed to be pretty much. I don't see a major reason to question his age like some of the other players that get questioned.

Pujols is a bit different case than most of those players though. He did come over to the states at 16 years of age and his career path fits the age he is supposed to be pretty much. I don't see a major reason to question his age like some of the other players that get questioned.

I don't see how you can go from these luscious locks to completely bald at only 31.

http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/slides/photos/001/007/118/AlbertPujolsWithHair_display_image.jpg?1307770073
This is Jack Burton in the Pork Chop Express, and I'm talkin' to whoever's listenin' out there.

Archived