Brewer Fanatic

Please do not sign Fielder thread

Hammer
McGehee and Counsell only OBP .010 better than Betancourt. We need to upgrade those position's OBP also.

Sure but Betancourt is a career low OBP guy. I have no idea what to expect out of McGehee next year, I would think if he starts it is on a short leash at least. Counsell is pretty much gone imo.

• Replies 495
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not quite getting why people are thinking that Hart would be a defensive upgrade over Fielder at 1B. I think he actually could be worse and maybe alot worse. Hart seems pretty gangly and uncoordinated (relatively speaking, for a pro athlete) and he hasn't played 1B in many years. I just don't see Hart being very good at 1B

Gamel, however, would likely be a significant defensive upgrade over Fielder. Gamel is very good at fielding groundballs (his problem at 3B was throwing errors)

Hart is NOT going to first. I saw a twitter feed from Melvin. Its not happening. So we are back to needing a 3b, ss, 1b. we aren't getting Reyes. We would just resign Prince if we were going to drop that much coin.

The SS FA situation is poor. Barmes is about the only realistic option out there. I love Hairston in Counsell's role. But if you think you are going to put Gamel and Green at the corners and improve your situation... Its just not going to happen.

Green, Barmes, Weeks, Gamel would be a huge defensive upgrade that would save a lot more runs that this year's infield would. Plus they'd save a lot of money that they could spend elsewhere.
Not to mention it would probably be an increase offensively at 3B and SS. Now Gamel to Fielder will more than likely be a significant drop but if we keep Hairston and get another infield sub we could be in good shape. I am hoping we look in to the trade market for SS. I think we could do better than Barmes.

Green, Barmes, Weeks, Gamel would be a huge defensive upgrade that would save a lot more runs that this year's infield would. Plus they'd save a lot of money that they could spend elsewhere.
With Greinke and Marcum only signed through 2012, Melvin might feel pressure to upgrade more than that next year, though. That or just trade one or both and rebuild in 2012. I just don't know.

Take these numbers for what they are:

Prince his 38 HR's this year.

He had two games where he hit more than one HR: A 7-2 win where he hit 2 and the second last gm of the year where he hit 3 in a 6-4 win.

So HR's in 27 wins and 8 losses.

So we are looking at replacing him for those 27 wins, HR's are not exclusive but play with me>

Here are the number of times he hit HR's and how much we won by. Thus the importance of his HR's

Times/Margin of Win

7/1

6/2

2/3

2/4

4/5

3/6

1/7

1/8

1/10

So I would say his HR's were vital in 1,2 and 3 run victories. A 4 run Victory is just outside and not ever a save situation http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

7 one run victories where if he didn't hit the HR we would have been tied

6 two run victories where if he didn't hit the HR we would have won

2 three run victories where if he didn't hit the HR we would have won by 2

So 15 games his HR's had a big time effect.

12 games his HR's were in big wins and had little effect.

So will we get a replacement 1B who will hit a HR in a 1 run victory? Will the taller firstbaseman make a defensive play the shorter bulkier Prince could not? All the infielders had 15 or more errors. Get a good taller firstbaseman and watch those numbers go down. I wonder how many close games we lost by an infield error or misplay that should have been made.

I see DM having a great opportunity to reshape this team and actually perform better with a better defensive first baseman.

So 15 games his HR's had a big time effect.

That's huge to me. Prince looks like the anti-Mike Cameron. At any rate, replacing him in the lineup will almost be impossible. I like Gamel, but 15 homers would probably be pretty close to his projection for a full season.

That's fair on Gamel, but I'd also say I wouldn't be surprised to see him hit 20 if he got 600 PAs or so. He's a good hitter, not Prince Fielder, but he can hit.

I guess Boston, Chicago, or Texas is where Fielder winds up.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

With Greinke and Marcum only signed through 2012, Melvin might feel pressure to upgrade more than that next year, though. That or just trade one or both and rebuild in 2012. I just don't know.
I expect the Brewers to make a big push to re-sign Greinke. Who knows if it will happen, but if it does, they shouldn't have to rebuild.

If they did want to rebuild, they sure have a ton of pieces to sell off. They could have a firesale if they wanted, though I'm not sure that would be the right move. I'm also not sure I'd want Melvin conducting the firesale, simply because he probably doesn't have too many years left anyway and I'd just as soon have his heir apparent running that show.

I don't think the Brewers are anywhere near "out of it" on Prince.

I just don't see the Yankees or Red Sox going big to get him, or the Phillies, or the Tigers. The Dodgers and the Mets have too many internal issues right now to really go big, in my opinion. Texas could be a possibility, but the first thing they have to do is sort out CJ Wilson, or replace him. If St Louis loses Albert, they're a possibility, but I don't see any reason why they could offer Prince more money than the Brewers could.

I just wonder if Prince will find a 200 million dollar offer. He sure might, but I don't think it's a given by any means.

Adrian Gonzalez signed a 7-year contract, for $154 million, or 22 million per year. I think it's very possible Prince's numbers are going to come in right about there, and if they do, it's not inconceivable for the Brewers to keep him here.

The one outlier looks like the Cubs...the huge market team with money to spend, and now a new ownership group, and a new management team. I expect the Cubs to pursue both Fielder and Pujols...whether they get either one is anyone's guess, but if it's about money in the end...they'll sign someone this winter.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

To me Baltimore looks like the perfect place for Prince.

The O's need a big power hitter in the line up. And a 1B (they can move Reynolds to DH). Fits the bill perfectly.

Adds to a nice nucleus of hitters: Weiters ©, Prince (1B), Hardy (SS), Markakis (RF), Jones (CF).

They tried to get Teixiera two years ago - so they they are willing to spend the money.

Prince would pound the ball at Camden. Perfect park for him.

He can transition to DH in a few years.

He's a good friend of JJ Hardy, who signed an extension last year.

The key is would Prince be willing to risk that the O's young pitchers mature enough to compete in a (very) tough division. If 'winning' is really important, he probably won't sign here.

TooLiveBrew wrote:

It hurts, but at least we'll still see a lot of the big guy.

How is that a positive? I could give a crap if I ever see him play again when he leaves.The main positive is the fact that he would be the Cubs 1B when he regresses to even a worse fielder and under-earns his contract by far...
@BrewCrewCritic on Twitter "Racing Sausages" - "Huh?"

TooLiveBrew wrote:

It hurts, but at least we'll still see a lot of the big guy.

How is that a positive? I could give a crap if I ever see him play again when he leaves.

Because I like him & enjoy watching him hit. Shouldn't have gone with the royal "we"
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

If Prince signs with the Cubs or Cardinals, he'll be dead to me. I would boo him every time I see him play. Any other team, and I'll still cheer him on. But you don't go to a top rival of your former club and pretend it's not going to affect the fans.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

I will not boo or cheer Fielder no matter which team he goes to. I never warmed up to him. I don't think it is because I knew he would be gone in a few years because I haven't warmed up to Braun either. I just hope Fielder doesn't end up in the NL. I don't want to see a competitor get better.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

If Prince signs with the Cubs or Cardinals, he'll be dead to me. I would boo him every time I see him play. Any other team, and I'll still cheer him on. But you don't go to a top rival of your former club and pretend it's not going to affect the fans.

I still don't get why people say they will boo him. Yes he could be on a rival team but that doesn't negate what he's done for the Brewers in his career. I'm not saying he should be cheered but there's no way he should be booed. What's wrong with just being indifferent, no cheers, no boos. People like Sheffield should be booed but not Prince.

This is Jack Burton in the Pork Chop Express, and I'm talkin' to whoever's listenin' out there.

I will not boo or cheer Fielder no matter which team he goes to. I never warmed up to him. I don't think it is because I knew he would be gone in a few years because I haven't warmed up to Braun either. I just hope Fielder doesn't end up in the NL. I don't want to see a competitor get better.
Out of sheer curiosity, who have you warmed up to?

Stevo wrote:

logan3825 wrote:

Out of sheer curiosity, who have you warmed up to?

Betancourt

Archived