Brewer Fanatic

Please do not sign Fielder thread

Hammer
Would this be a good result from a comp pick perspective as compared to the other rumored teams? Looks like the Nats pick #16, so the pick isn't protected.

I believe that this would be the best possible result for the Brewers, as it is the first unprotected pick, a.k.a. the best pick any team could have received from losing a Type A free agent.

I'd rather have Prince Fielder than the pick. Is there an impact bat that will be available at 16?

• Replies 495
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I sure hope there is, this system badly needs impact bats. I'm all about pitching, but they have ignored the offense the last few years in the draft, and that's very problematic. Obviously we can't replace Prince, but to get the highest pick possible (I think), would sure be nice.

I found this tweet from Haudricourt funny;

Tom @Haudricourt

@JonHeymanCBS says Fielder down to Final Four of sorts. My educated guess of Final 4 would be Nats, Rangers, O's and Mariners (maybe Jays).

So basically down to all the same teams it's always been, sans the Cubs.

I dont really believe four teams are seriously in on Fielder at this point. Probably Boras trying to act like there is a bidding war. My guess it is the Nationals and Rangers but everyone knows the Rangers arent going to break the bank so Boras leaks that other teams are in on it so the Nationals bid against themselves. I could be off base but nothing from the Mariners (said to only have 2 million left this year) and the Orioles (very little discussion) make me think they are in on it.

Ya, I agree, really seems like Boras trying to create leverage to get what he wants. It really feels like it's just down to the Nationals, but the Rangers have always made sense to me, and I think they have to be in on some level. I'd be surprised if he ended up anywhere besides Washington or Texas.

I would love it to be Washington. Sure they are still in the NL but we get a great pick and I kind of want to see the Nationals start winning.
I wouldn't mind the Nats becoming a good team, but I hope whatever team signs Prince doesn't sniff .500. Maybe I'm being the bitter ex, but I hope he looks back in a few years and wistfully wishes he had signed with us.

The poster previously known as Robin19, now @RFCoder

EA Sports...It's in the game...until we arbitrarily decide to shut off the server.

I would love it to be Washington. Sure they are still in the NL but we get a great pick and I kind of want to see the Nationals start winning.
I wouldn't mind the Nats becoming a good team, but I hope whatever team signs Prince doesn't sniff .500. Maybe I'm being the bitter ex, but I hope he looks back in a few years and wistfully wishes he had signed with us.
I actually agree, but I am fine with the Nats doing well as long as we do better.

@MLBinsidenews is reporting that Fielder signed an 8 year deal with Washington. Opt out after 3 years.

Is this Scott's Twitter account or something? It's really too bad that Prince had to get greedy. Now he's going to be forced to accept the most money and play in an undesirable place.

I'd rather have Prince Fielder than the pick. Is there an impact bat that will be available at 16?

I'd say the odds of the comp pick being an impact player are less than 20%. Hopefully the Brewers don't waste it on another high school pitcher.

Would this be a good result from a comp pick perspective as compared to the other rumored teams? Looks like the Nats pick #16, so the pick isn't protected.

I believe that this would be the best possible result for the Brewers, as it is the first unprotected pick, a.k.a. the best pick any team could have received from losing a Type A free agent.

Would you rather have Prince Fielder than the pick plus $20 mill per season?

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Short history of the #16 pick of the MLB draft:

2011: LHP, Chris Reed

2010: RHP Hayden Simpson

2009: 3B Bobby Borchering

2008: 3B/2B Brett Lawrie

2007: 3B Kevin Ahrens

2006: RHP Jeremy Jeffress

2005: RHP Chris Volstad

2004: LHP David Purcey

2003: RHP Jeff Allison

2002: OF Nick Swisher

2001: RHP Kris Honel

2000: LHP Billy Traber

1999: RHP Jason Jennings

1998: RHP Kip Wells

1997: OF Lance Berkman

1996: SS Joe Lawrence

1995: RHP Joe Fontenot

1994: LHP Matt Smith

1993: RHP Alan Benes

1992: RHP Rick Greene

1991: OF Shawn Green

Just remember that past results are not an indicator of future returns. http://www.ezboard.com/intl/aenglish/images/emoticons/wink.gif

Over the next six years? Prince. We know what we are getting: An impact bat, and the two in arguably the best 1-2 punch in MLB: Ryan Braun and Prince Fielder. Pitchers would come so they don't have to face that.

Imagine the 1-8 of Weeks, Aoki, Braun, Fielder, A-Ram, Hart, Lucroy, Gonzales.

Best case scenario, we pay Prince $25M. Those 8 players would cost us $70M in 2013. If we raise payroll all the way to $110M, we only have $40M left for 17 players. If 15 were paid minimum wage, that leaves $33M for 2 starting pitchers. So we would have that lineup and two $15M pitchers, but the rest of the lineup would be pre-arby players. I'm not sure we could make that work.

The poster previously known as Robin19, now @RFCoder

EA Sports...It's in the game...until we arbitrarily decide to shut off the server.

The higher the pick the better, but in reality there are long lists of hits and misses at every pick in the first round... and for that matter the whole draft.

That being said, since he almost with certainty wont be a Brewer I would like the highest possible pick (16) so have the ability to draft a player we think belongs at that slot.

If Washington with Stras, Zimm, Zimm, Morse, Werth, Fielder, and Harper turn into a National league power house.... So be it. I would love to see the NL East being battled for by Wash and Fla and see Philly and NY struggling to keep up.

Selfishly I am hoping he ends up in L.A. with the Dodgers so I can go see him on a consistent basis.

I honestly believe he would already be in L.A. if the Dodgers ownership situation had already been solved. The Angels have been slowly eroding the Dodger fanbase and this would be a dramatic counterpunch to the Angels signing Pujols. Additionally, I believe this would only make the Dodgers more attractive to the10 ownership groups which submitted bids to buy the team yesterday.

Prince will probably sign in the next few days with Washington but I honestly have felt for a while that L.A. was his preferred destination and his FA has dragged out for so long because of the cloud around the Dodgers ownership.

The latest from Boras/Heyman:

Indications are Prince Fielder has narrowed the field of teams in his derby to four or five, and the Nationals, Orioles and Rangers are believed to be among those teams. So he's down to a "final four'' (or so), if you will.

The other involved team or two aren't known, but an unpublicized team can't be ruled out. Under-the-radar pursuers, often dubbed the "mystery'' teams, have become prominent the past couple years, as both Cliff Lee and Albert Pujols wound up signing with such a team. The other teams connected to Fielder at one time or other have included the Mariners, Marlins, Blue Jays, Cubs and incumbent Brewers, but none of those teams has been seen as a favorite in recent days.

The Nationals have been seen as a favorite for weeks, though some people connected to the team say they are reluctant to give out an ultra long deal again, after signing Jayson Werth to a seven-year, $126-million last winter. The Orioles, like their local rival, have seemed to downplay their interest. But their biggest issue may be luring Fielder with little immediate prospect of winning.

The Rangers, a team that came out of the woodwork to sign Adrian Beltre last winter, have suggested that they are "unlikely'' to sign Fielder based mostly on requests for a deal of eight to 10 years. They are clearly still involved after signing Yu Darvish. Though they don't seem likely to be the high bidder, they remain hopeful that a chance to be part of one of the game's great lineups will enhance their chances.

http://jon-heyman.blogs.c.../entry/33714192/34551946

Over the next six years? Prince. We know what we are getting: An impact bat, and the two in arguably the best 1-2 punch in MLB: Ryan Braun and Prince Fielder. Pitchers would come so they don't have to face that.

Imagine the 1-8 of Weeks, Aoki, Braun, Fielder, A-Ram, Hart, Lucroy, Gonzales.

I don't mind imagining it, but it ends there since its beyond a fantasy. A_Ram wouldn't be on that team. And a year later their pitching would be Yo, Narv, ST3, ST4, ST5.

Archived