Brewer Fanatic

Please do not sign Fielder thread

Hammer

In the 0.00001% chance Prince were to say come back at 6 years and $120 million; how would you move forward with the lineup? As everyone has mentioned, Wolf and Hart would likely have to be dealt to create the salary space. Hart makes $9MM this season and $10MM next. Wolf makes $9MM this season. So let's assume Wolf and Hart are dealt.

Now, moving forward, what do you do with RF? With Prince back at 1B, Gamel now becomes either expendable or an OF. Gamel doesn't appear to have much experience at all in playing the OF but is it possible for him to play LF while Braun is suspended and either move him or Braun into RF after Braun's return? I'm more asking the question because I seem to recall talk of Gamel moving to the OF a few years ago. What is the thought on the possibility of a Gamel move to the OF if Prince were to miraculously re-sign?

• Replies 495
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't understand the logic of: Some think the Rangers will still try to get Fielder to take a shorter deal than he is thinking but it would be hard for them to do the mega-deal that agent Scott Boras is seeking.

I am not sure what is meant by "shorter" but they will be paying Darvish for the next 6 years, but I don't understand why would they be okay with paying Fielder for, say, the next 5 or 6 years when they will also be paying Darvish but not paying him for 10 when the last 4 years will be after the expiration of the Darvish contract?

because Prince might not even be in MLB for the last 3 years of a 10 year deal.

Cecil Feilder's last season was age 34

Mo Vaughn's last season was age 34, and he missed his age 33 season

Kent Hrbek was done at age 34

Greg Luzinski age 33

These are guys with Prince's body type that I could think of off the top of my head.

And most of those types werent worth a hill of beans in their last season. Guys with Fielder's body type just do not age well, they never have. He could be the exception, but I doubt it. I think he has 3-4 more years of being great, 1-2 of being above average, but then the bottom is gonna fall out fast. Which is why nobody wants to go past 5 years with him.

But that is the case whether or not the Rangers have Darvish. I am questioning the logic of the Rangers wanting shorter deal for Fielder because they signed Darvish for 6 years.

It also seems to be an odd concern when, while a different body type, Pujols apparently had 3 teams competing to sign him though age 41...or, perhaps actually 44. How many players of any body type have been of much value at age 38, 39, 40, 41? How many of those used massive doses of steroids?

Cecil Feilder's last season was age 34

Mo Vaughn's last season was age 34, and he missed his age 33 season

Kent Hrbek was done at age 34

Greg Luzinski age 33

These are guys with Prince's body type that I could think of off the top of my head.

And most of those types werent worth a hill of beans in their last season. Guys with Fielder's body type just do not age well, they never have. He could be the exception, but I doubt it. I think he has 3-4 more years of being great, 1-2 of being above average, but then the bottom is gonna fall out fast. Which is why nobody wants to go past 5 years with him.

Were any of those guys as athletic as Prince is? I'm asking because I don't know, not to be snarky. Prince is a far better athlete than most people of his body type and I can't help but think that that will allow him to age better than most people of his body type.

I think that will be Carlos Pena, which will be a great fit in that stadium and lineup.

I think you're right on that. The guys on MLB TV last night said the Tigers and Yankees were looking for someone less expensive to fill their holes, and they mentioned Pena. I'd guess the Yankees will sign him.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

I love the Texas owner's quote on the Hamilton/Fielder situation.

"And frankly, my personal preference at this moment would be to re-sign him (Hamilton) instead of helping Fielder"

Think that these guys are getting a hard sell from Boras? I just read that Washington extended Morse as well, not huge money, but a lot of people seem to be forgetting that they are trying to extend Ryan Zimmerman also. That's going to be huge money, so I'm not sure it's automatic ton of cash kicking around for Prince. It's starting to look more and more like Prince and Boras are all in on a pair of twos.

If its true that Prince signed with Washington, I guess I can live with that as a Brewers fan. I was hoping he'd end up in the American League, but as long as he didn't sign with a NL Central rival I'm not too upset. As a fan I'm sad to see Prince go, but we all knew this was coming and I wish him all the best!

Would this be a good result from a comp pick perspective as compared to the other rumored teams? Looks like the Nats pick #16, so the pick isn't protected.

I believe that this would be the best possible result for the Brewers, as it is the first unprotected pick, a.k.a. the best pick any team could have received from losing a Type A free agent.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Nobody else has picked up on this story so I don't htink he's signed yet. MLBTR doesn't have it, says they are talking and that there is a "final four" for him but that's it. It's possible that guy has very inside info, but nobody else has sniffed it yet if it's true.

Would this be a good result from a comp pick perspective as compared to the other rumored teams? Looks like the Nats pick #16, so the pick isn't protected.

I believe that this would be the best possible result for the Brewers, as it is the first unprotected pick, a.k.a. the best pick any team could have received from losing a Type A free agent.

Not sure if that's correct or not. The new CBA only protects the first 10 picks. However, I think that might not go into effect until next year (along with the new arbitration average salary rule).
This is Jack Burton in the Pork Chop Express, and I'm talkin' to whoever's listenin' out there.

Archived