Brewer Fanatic

Please do not sign Fielder thread

Hammer
Let's also not overlook the fact that Mitch Williams is an idiot and that he's not in contact with Fielder, nor does he know what it's like to be a great player that's a free agent.
Let's not overlook the fact that Fielder might not be very happy with the way things have been going this off-season to date.
Robin Yount - “But what I'd really like to tell you is I never dreamed of being in the Hall of Fame. Standing here with all these great players was beyond any of my dreams.”

• Replies 495
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think he's fine with it. He could always fire Boras if he wasn't. I think Larry Bowa's take on the situation on the same MLB Network show was far more accurate: he's going to be fine. Most likely they are waiting for resolution to the Darvish situation to see if they can get a better bidding war going on. If he signs by Wednesday, then I would imagine Fielder to Washington gets done relatively quickly.

He is certainly not going to fire his agent at this time, but...

Since prior to the 2010 season, he was supposedly offered $120 million for 6 years: http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/137118098.html

and he instead ended up taking about $25 million for 2 of those 6 years, had he signed an extension with the Brewers it would effectively have meant $95 million for the additional 4 years.

We'll see what happens, but if after having taken the risk of passing on that $120 million, he now ends up signing for something like 5 years/$120 million, I'd say that the strategy Boras had him follow was a failure.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I think he's fine with it. He could always fire Boras if he wasn't. I think Larry Bowa's take on the situation on the same MLB Network show was far more accurate: he's going to be fine. Most likely they are waiting for resolution to the Darvish situation to see if they can get a better bidding war going on. If he signs by Wednesday, then I would imagine Fielder to Washington gets done relatively quickly.
I think this is the big hangup. The Rangers are interested in Prince, but value the impact pitcher more, so they are looking at that option first. Pretty simple.

I think Darvish goes back to Japan. If he waits one more year, he's an unrestricted FA. Right now, he's getting Dice-K money - maybe $10 million a year for five or six years. If he waits for next year, he's talking $15 million a year. Obviously, there's the risk of injury, but the payoff for waiting is huge.

Man, Prince would put up crazy numbers at Arlington.

He is certainly not going to fire his agent at this time, but...

Since prior to the 2010 season, he was supposedly offered $120 million for 6 years: http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/137118098.html

and he instead ended up taking about $25 million for 2 of those 6 years, had he signed an extension with the Brewers it would effectively have meant $95 million for the additional 4 years.

We'll see what happens, but if after having taken the risk of passing on that $120 million, he now ends up signing for something like 5 years/$120 million, I'd say that the strategy Boras had him follow was a failure.

I don't think it's fair to just give Fielder a pass. He could always have signed. He can sign with someone right this second if he's freaking out. He hired Boras, not the other way around.

I don't think it's fair to just give Fielder a pass.

Yeah didn't intend to...

"I'd say that the strategy Boras had him follow was a failure" would have been better stated as:

"Prince having followed Boras' strategy was a mistake, because the strategy failed."

(and this is only if he ends up settling for little more than he'd have gotten from the extension)

Right now I think there are two things holding up a Fielder signing -- the Rangers trying to sign Darvish, & Fielder asking for a contract too close to what Pujols got. I still think Prince will eclipse $150M in the deal he signs.
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I am tired of reading Heyman say anything on Prince. It all is complete garbage. He was still reporting that the Brewers were in on Fielder (long term) a few weeks ago.

Kind of funny on this topic. Tonight Heyman tweeted about Cain/Timmy looking for extensions. I made a slightly sarcastic comment along the lines of "What news on a non-Boras client." Heyman followed that up by responding, and going all grade school on me. "I find the nastiest people have the fewest followers"!

I found it hilarious because what I initially said was in no way offensive, demeaning, nasty, or in any way inappropriate. If anything he reiterated my point by his severe overreaction to a simple sarcastic remark.

The ESPN crawl yesterday said that the Yankees were "looking for a DH" after their latest trade. I could still see them swooping in with a big contract. Fielder wants to play 1B, but if it's 5 years from the Nats to play 1B or 10 years from the Yankees to DH, I'd guess he'll be a DH for the Yankees.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

It is just so odd that not even an offer has been rumored at this point. Is Boras still at the point of trying to convince a team to even make an offer? I know we still have a month or so before Spring Training but the apparent complete lack of interest in Prince is very suprising. Nothing but rumors at this point and it certainly looks like most of the rumors are baseless. Information seems to contradict itself every 2 hours on Prince.

Obviously he will sign somewhere; I just don't know that any teams still have $20-$25 Million left in there budget to sign Prince anymore. Most of the teams seem to have already spent there big money and are now looking for bargains. I suppose Prince could be a bargain but he would still be an expensive bargain.

My final guess is 5/110 unless the National get him. If the Nationals want him they will grossly overpay like 8/180. 5/110 would be an embarrasment for Boras though; but if he isn't signed in 4 weeks I imagine Boras/Prince will just take whatever they can get.

It is just so odd that not even an offer has been rumored at this point.
I'm sure there's been a few offers, just not in the range that Boras would like.
This is Jack Burton in the Pork Chop Express, and I'm talkin' to whoever's listenin' out there.

I do wonder if we get into early February and he still hasn't signed, if Boras and Prince might come back to the Brewers and show interest in a one year deal. I do think the market for him could be much greater next off-season. Prince and Boras' ego may not allow for that, though.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Its not like the guy is just going to sit out the year. If push comes to shove I think Boras and Fielder would rather sign a 1 year deal somewhere rather than sign a crappy 3-4 year deal. I am sure there are atleast 5 teams that would sign him for 1/20 right now. I don't know what the 1B market looks like for next offseason but I doubt Fielder would be anything other than the top 1B available.

My final guess is 5/110 unless the National get him. If the Nationals want him they will grossly overpay like 8/180. 5/110 would be an embarrasment for Boras though; but if he isn't signed in 4 weeks I imagine Boras/Prince will just take whatever they can get.
If he signs for this, you will see him playing 1B for your Milwaukee Brewers next season. No way Attanasio allows Prince to leave Milwaukee if he is willing to sign for a contract like this.

You will then see some serious roster manuevering by Melvin and Ash in the weeks leading up to Spring Training, starting with the trades of Wolf and either K-Rod or Hart.

Archived