Brewer Fanatic

Please do not sign Fielder thread

Hammer

Fielder prefers teams east of the Mississippi River and teams that can

win the World Series in the near future. The list of known interested

parties includes the Brewers, Mariners, Cubs, Rangers, Blue Jays, and Nationals. Seattle's

rebuilding status and geographic location may remove them from the mix,

while the uncertainty around how much Chicago's new front office is

willing to spend may remove them as well.

mlbtraderumors link

Robin Yount - “But what I'd really like to tell you is I never dreamed of being in the Hall of Fame. Standing here with all these great players was beyond any of my dreams.”

• Replies 495
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Fielder prefers teams east of the Mississippi River and teams that can

win the World Series in the near future. The list of known interested

parties includes the Brewers, Mariners, Cubs, Rangers, Blue Jays, and Nationals. Seattle's

rebuilding status and geographic location may remove them from the mix,

while the uncertainty around how much Chicago's new front office is

willing to spend may remove them as well.

mlbtraderumors link

Then that would leave the Brewers, Rangers, Blue Jays, and the Nationals.

The Rangers already have Moreland so 1B isn't much of a priority, although they might go after Fielder just for the sake of having more offensive production.

The Nationals already have LaRoche and Morse, although they could move Morse to the outfield and move LaRoche to the bench.

The Jays could use another power hitter to compliment Bautista, but their GM already stated that he's reluctant in giving out long-term deals and said not to expect any huge signings.

The Brewers do not have an above-average replacement for Fielder so they have a legitimate reason to sign him. But if he doesn't lower his demands a deal seems unlikely.

I don't think Olney's "report" means anything. This is what the Brewers have been saying for weeks. We all know that they're going to go after him hard if they think they can land him for not much more than 5/100. I don't take Olney's tweet as an indication that anything material has changed -- that some team has now decided to step up with a huge-money offer.

I don't think Olney's "report" means anything. This is what the Brewers have been saying for weeks. We all know that they're going to go after him hard if they think they can land him for not much more than 5/100. I don't take Olney's tweet as an indication that anything material has changed -- that some team has now decided to step up with a huge-money offer.
You may be right, but then again, the Brewers may have decided they have too many key roles to fill to wait for Boras to "shop around" for some offer they won't be able to beat anyway.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

I believe w/ a core of Braun, Fielder, Gallardo and Greinke all going through their prime the next 5 seasons, we would always have a chance of making the playoffs. The key would be filling out the rest of our roster w/ our minor league system, and by trading vets like Marcum, Wolf, Weeks and Hart for younger cheaper talented players. It would be risky, but I think it would be the best plan.
The next 5 seasons? The statistical prime for vast majority of players is over by age 30, most players between 28-29. For the 2012 season Fielder, Braun, and Greinke will be 28, and Gallardo will be 26. It's not like the production of the older players is going to fall off a cliff, but sooner or later they will all miss significant time with injury. Fielder and Greinke have been incredibly durable thus far, but their bodies won't hold up forever. Every pitcher eventually gets hurt and Fielder would be a medical marvel if he made that body type last the duration of his next contract. Braun already has issues with this and that, little nagging injuries every season that he doesn't seem to overcome, the frequency and severity of which will only increase as he gets older. I have no problem with the notion that Gallardo will be peaking here over the next 2-3 seasons, but the rest of the guys are not likely to put up their peak numbers over the next 2-3 seasons, never mind the next 5.

It wouldn't surprise me if Greinke's 2009 was the pinnacle of his career at age 25. I'm not saying he'll be ineffective, I'm just saying what I've always said, that on average he's not as good as his peripheral numbers suggest he should be. He has the talent to be low 2 ERA pitcher, but he'll be anywhere from low to high 3s in most seasons.

I'm not sure we can project Braun to improve on or repeat his 2011 season either. I'm not talking about the MVP, I'm talking about the .994 OPS. It's not like he adds additional value with his glove, his lack of anything resembling a defensive instinct will only hurt his value as he gets older and he makes less plays since he's not able to recover utilizing superior athleticism anymore.

As far as Fielder is concerned, I'm not sure he ever tops his 2009, his 23 year old 2007 was also very impressive, but I think he's a much better all around hitter now than he was then. He also had an extraordinary 2011 by any measure, his every other year on again off again mega success won't go on forever, especially as he gets older. I think any team that signs him should be hoping to get a Teixeira like slide out of him. Mid .900 OPS through next season as a 28 year old, then a productive but slow decline, and remember that Fielder also doesn't add any value with his glove.

I'm alright with people making absolute statements about young players peaking through years 4-6 of their career, hopefully all of our young players are ascending as MLB players. However once we get to the upper 20s age wise, that's the time to think about flipping players or letting them walk, not the time to think about signing them to lucrative long-term deals. I'd rather lock them up in year 2 or 3 year before arbitration and then buyout FA years through their 30 year old season than be signing 28-29 year old players to long term deals. Keep till they hit the steep part of the injury nexus and then replenish the talent well, just like Toronto did with Marcum.

I'm all about maximizing production vs contract and I hold no sentimental notions that any player should be a Brewer for life, and no I don't think the Packers should worry about that concept either. Though I will say that DD can hang on as long as he wants if he takes the veteran minimum and doesn't mind being the 5th receiver. However that's not how it works in baseball, FA players don't get paid for what they are going to do, they get paid for what they have done, which is the entire problem with the system. There's no MLB player taking a reduction in pay during his contract to stay with his team since the contracts are guaranteed. Futhermore, It's simply not as clean as taking their previous 3 seasons and projecting a slow/steady decline, as the body ages it's impossible to project what injury they will get and when, how it will impact their production, as well as how a decline in physical skill will impact their career.

I feel Braun's second extension was a mistake and I feel that resigning Fielder or extending Marcum/Greinke would be a mistake, and it has nothing to do with their talent. It has everything to do with their age, the financial system in baseball, and maximizing opportunities to cycle young impact talent back into the organization.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

One article I read suggests Toronto is the leading candidate to sign Prince. That'd be good. Milwaukee would get the 17th pick, on top of their own 29th pick. They'd also get another first round pick if KRod signs elsewhere, which I believe is likely. So three picks in the top 30 and two more supplemental picks. I'll take it!

Who are these 'others' that Olney speaks of? I'm assuming representatives of other players. The next week should be interesting to say the least. I just hope that the Brewers don't enter into a bad deal for an aging player on the rebound from Prince (Ramirez, Rollins, etc.). Maybe Doug will surprise us again and get someone off the radar in a trade.

Mark A and Doug Melvin meet with Scott Boras about Fielder. Scott Boras called them to update them, then decided to meet.

Tom H Blog

Scott: Yeah, Hi Doug, Scott here. Listen, the market for Prince hasn't really gained any steam yet. I'd like ask for the opportunity to try and convince you that you have a chance at retaining Prince, but am really just hoping you could throw an offer out there that I could shop around to someone else.

You don't have an Adam Wainwright. Easily the best gentlemen in all of sports. You don't have the amount of real good old American men like the Cardinals do. Holliday, Wainwright, Skip, Berkman those 4 guys are incredible people

GhostofQuantrill

Archived