Brewer Fanatic

Please do not sign Fielder thread

Hammer
  • Replies 495
  • Created
  • Last Reply
But the Brewers don't seem to even be trying, and that is starting to lead to flashes of Molitor leaving after `92. The Crew did not make .500 for over a decade...
a) you have no idea how hard they are trying to keep Prince

b) it's a lot different than the Molitor situation

But the Brewers don't seem to even be trying, and that is starting to lead to flashes of Molitor leaving after `92. The Crew did not make .500 for over a decade...
a) you have no idea how hard they are trying to keep Prince

b) it's a lot different than the Molitor situation

I agree with both points. I think the nail will go in the coffin though at the winter meetings, once some team makes Prince an offer out of our price range.
Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

On Prince Fielder: Jon Heyman of SI.com, who is
close to agent Scott Boras, tweeted that the Blue Jays are expected to
be in on Prince Fielder, echoing a report from a Cleveland-based FM
station. Yep: it's classic Boras; expand the market by throwing teams
out there and then telling a media scrum that there is a “mystery team.”

Anthopoulos
reiterated that the Blue Jays will not offer seven- or eight-year
free-agent contracts
– Fielder wants 10 years – and then said: “I expect
to be linked to practically every player … as a rule of thumb, if
something leaks than it's probably inaccurate. If you look at the number
of players we've been linked to and the ones we've ended up getting,
it's probably one per-cent.”

link

Sounds like the Blue Jays have their limits. The Mariners might not have the money to spend on him (conflicting reports on this). The National's according to Bill Ladson aren't going after him, because they have LaRoche and Morse. What other teams could go after him?

Robin Yount - “But what I'd really like to tell you is I never dreamed of being in the Hall of Fame. Standing here with all these great players was beyond any of my dreams.”

The Cubs, and I really still think Baltimore is going to come into play at some point.
The Cubs seem to be focusing on Pujols for the moment. Apparently they have offered more money per year, but less years than the Cards. I can see them going the same route with Fielder should they fail to land Pujols. I actually get the suspicion that the Cubs don't really want much to do with Fielder, especially if his asking price does not come down.

(1) The Molitor and Fielder situations could hardly be more different. Molitor would have happily returned for a reasonable contract and a modicum of respect; Sal Bando practically kicked him out of town. Also, signing Molitor long-term would have been self-evidently smart, while signing Fielder long-term for what he's asking, IMHO, would be a mistake. The two situations have about as much in common as World War II and my grocery run yesterday. (I'm not saying they have absolutely nothing in common. Both WWII and my grocery run involved a shortage of tomatoes.)

(2) Given my passionate hatred of Albert Pujols, and my standard-issue Brewer fan's hatred of the Cubs and Cardinals, few potential deals would make me happier than if Pujols signed with the Cubs. It would hurt the Cardinals, help the Cubs at the wrong time, and relegate Pujols to a second-division team with miserable fans. Win / win / win.

(3) Jimmy Rollins is 4.5 years older than Jose Reyes, and he has three of the classic elements of a player prone to being overrated -- championships, flashy but shallow offensive achievements, plays in a bandbox. Given how bad the ss position has gotten, I couldn't object to making him the Brewers' big offseason signing, especially because both Green and Gamel are better bets than any in-house or cheap solution I can imagine for ss. But with Rollins you have to watch the years. Anything more than four becomes a real problem. Ramirez is a few months older than Rollins. He was good but not great this past year, bad the year before, and hurt the year before that. If we're going to throw money at somebody, and if the price tags are similar, I'd go for Rollins.

If anybody signs Ramirez or Rollins (unless it's the Phillies) to more than a three year deal, they should be committed. I tend to think that a three year deal for either of these guys will likely explode in someone's face.

As for Fielder, I don't get the love for Toronto some here seem to have. I still hate them from the American League and the Molitor thing.

(1) The Molitor and Fielder situations could hardly be more different. Molitor would have happily returned for a reasonable contract and a modicum of respect; Sal Bando practically kicked him out of town. Also, signing Molitor long-term would have been self-evidently smart,
I agree with the sentiment but had he not been a lifelong Brewer, I think thoughts would've been different.

Signing a 35 year old injury prone DH-only guy...

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

Here is another source saying that the Nationals are not interested in Fielder.

So who does this leave, the maybe the Mariners, Toronto and....? No teams seem to be seriously pursuing him at the moment and the number of suitors seems to be getting smaller and smaller every. If Pujols is getting offers in the $22-23 million/ year would it be out of the realm for Fielder to have to settle for $20 million/ year? What is becoming more likely to happen is Prince accepts arbitration and gives it another shot next year when the Dodgers get out of their financial mess. Guess we find out in two days..

Just scanned mlbtraderumors and Baltimore has expressed 'interest' now, though they warned fans about not getting their hopes up. It seems like everybody in these sweepstakes is in the same boat as the Brewers- limited payroll.
They have been my pick to land Prince for a couple years and I think I am going to stick with them in the pool.

It seems like everybody in these sweepstakes is in the same boat as the Brewers- limited payroll.
This is why I believe Fielder's asking price will come down. Possibly way down.
Robin Yount - “But what I'd really like to tell you is I never dreamed of being in the Hall of Fame. Standing here with all these great players was beyond any of my dreams.”

Danny Knobler posted this last night.

But Sunday, even as Pujols' future was in a little more doubt, with reports that the Marlins plan to strongly pursue him after signing Jose Reyes, there was a hint of optimism from Brewers people about their chances at keeping Fielder.

None of them were out and out predicting that Fielder will stay. They acknowledged that a huge offer elsewhere could be too much for them to match.

But the same guys who have been saying for months that it was the longest of longshots were now insisting it could happen, for two reasons.

One, the early market for Fielder doesn't seem to have exploded. Teams are interested, including the Mariners, the Nationals and possibly the Rangers or Cubs. But the indications so far have been that the market may not go crazy.

Second, Brewers people never discount the competitiveness and aggressiveness of owner Mark Attanasio. And Attanasio seems to be indicating that he wants to make a real effort to keep his star first baseman.

None of that means that Fielder will be back in Milwaukee. But for the first time in quite a while, it actually seems possible.

Obviously the next week will be very telling. I agree with the notion that everyone is waiting for Pujols to sign- in the end, I still think that he stays in St. Louis. As for Prince, I think that we are seeing the same thing develop as what happened last off-season in that there is limited interest, with the added twist of limited money. If the Brewers can step up to the plate and Prince can swallow a measure of pride, I think that there is at least a chance that something can be worked out. Obviously, the major flaw in this analysis is the 'all it takes is one team' thing. However, the longer things go on, the more payroll that will be burned. The teams that this wouldn't affect (those with monopoly money) don't seem to be in the running as of yet. Perhaps if the Brewers were to offer the 5/125 range deal with an out after two years, Prince would bite in the hope that the monopoly money Eastern seaboard teams will have a need after 2013. The primary issue (besides Boras)with this idea is that Prince seems to be a very prideful man. It's probably doubtful that he would take a deal for 80-100 million less total than Pujols. At the same time, contracts north of $125MM don't exactly grow on trees.

I think what will end up happening is that Pujols will sign first, and then all of his suitors will turn focus to Fielder, thus amping up his market. Then he may end up getting just as much, if not more money, than Pujols.
This is precisely what I think will happen.

Haudricourt with a bit of an update on Fielder:

You hear rumors about Seattle, Toronto and Baltimore being interested in Fielder but insiders say no. I think Cubs are team to keep eye on.

Sounds like the market for Prince is still rather cold.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Just a quick hit on this.

In the 1% chance Fielder were to re-sign, a couple of quick questions.

1. Who can we afford for SS?

-I'm guessing Yuni is brought back but would hope the payroll allows Furcal.

2. What becomes of Mat Gamel?

-Trade Gamel for a SS. Who would Gamel bring back since we would legitimately have no need for him?

You hear rumors about Seattle, Toronto and Baltimore being interested in Fielder but insiders say no. I think Cubs are team to keep eye on.

Not just that, but you get the impression that teams aren't willing to give out big long-term deals greater than 6 years to players that have injury history's or that are on the wrong side of 30 and that are getting older. With Jose Reyes, there were reports that many teams didn't want to go above 5 years for him, because of his injury's. Now there are reports that the Phillies (who have money) who wanted to re-sign Rollins wouldn't go above 3 years when Rollins is seeking 5 years. Sounds like many teams that have money (not that many) are trying to be conservative and smart with the money they have. That could always change, so we will find out more in a couple days, but so far it doesn't look like it.

The only team that I can see giving Fielder a 7-8 year contract is the Cubs, but you wonder with a new GM and ownership if they will be smarter and not hand out big long-term deals that are risky like signing Fielder. Are the Cubs even able to spend big this off-season? If the Cubs aren't going after Fielder, then a 6 year deal or less could possibly be enough to sign Fielder which I can see the Brewers doing.

Not just that, but you get the impression that teams aren't willing to give out big long-term deals greater than 6 years to players that have injury history's or that are on the wrong side of 30 and that are getting older. With Jose Reyes, there were reports that many teams didn't want to go above 5 years for him, because of his injury's. Now there are reports that the Phillies (who have money) who wanted to re-sign Rollins wouldn't go above 3 years when Rollins is seeking 5 years. Sounds like many teams that have money (not that many) are trying to be conservative and smart with the money they have. That could always change, so we will find out more in a couple days, but so far it doesn't look like it.

The only team that I can see giving Fielder a 7-8 year contract is the Cubs, but you wonder with a new GM and ownership if they will be smarter and not hand out big long-term deals that are risky like signing Fielder. Are the Cubs even able to spend big this off-season? If the Cubs aren't going after Fielder, then a 6 year deal or less could possibly be enough to sign Fielder which I can see the Brewers doing.

I'm a little skeptical about the Cubs signing Fielder. I doubt Fielder is THE missing piece of the puzzle with the Cubs. I would think that they would need other players to turn them into a competitive team.

Archived