Brewer Fanatic

I, for one, am glad 'Beast Mode' is done with

DuWayne Steurer
Since the Brewers players weren't showing up the other team,

I guess that would be up for debate. Opposing pitchers may feel that the other team making a big deal out of every hit would be "showing up the other team."

The thing is, there are players across the league that do some sort of demonstrative thing every time they get on base. Pujols is one of many who crosses himself and points to the sky each and every time. That's just one example that comes to mind at the moment. I've brought this up on Twitter and a few other places and no one has ever been able to tell me what separates the two and why one is showing up the pitcher/opposing team and one is not.

As I said in my post, "beast mode" doesn't bother me, and it was nice to see fans using it to get more involved in this season. However, I've seen many say that other teams should accept "untuck 'em" because of this and should accept "beast mode" because of that. If our team decides to do something different, we shouldn't judge how others perceive the action. Mike Cameron's dad didn't untuck his shirt while he was at work... he did it at home. The Brewers decided to do their actions on the field, so I can understand why other teams may take some offense at those actions. Personally, if I were playing against them, I would enjoy beating them more than I would if they didn't do their antics. That doesn't mean they shouldn't do them, just that if they are going to perform an action, they need to be ready to accept any repurcussions which stem from those actions, including having other teams and their fans dislike them.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I guess that would be up for debate. Opposing pitchers may feel that the other team making a big deal out of every hit would be "showing up the other team."

The thing is, there are players across the league that do some sort of demonstrative thing every time they get on base. Pujols is one of many who crosses himself and points to the sky each and every time. That's just one example that comes to mind at the moment. I've brought this up on Twitter and a few other places and no one has ever been able to tell me what separates the two and why one is showing up the pitcher/opposing team and one is not.

Not to turn this religious, (and certainly not to defend Pujols but........) you're comparing paying homage to one's Deity to Sully, from Monsters Inc? Those aren't exactly comparable.

Not to turn this religious, (and certainly not to defend Pujols but........) you're comparing paying homage to one's Deity to Sully, from Monsters Inc? Those aren't exactly comparable.

Some would certainly say it is. If I were going to point to Pujols though I'd look at the fact he watches his home runs for like an hour each and every time as showing up other teams more than any beast mode could.

I noticed Molina, on more than one occasion, making a "crying" gesture towards our dugout when he got on base. He would make fists, put the knuckles of his index fingers to the corners of his eyes and then waggle the fists back and forth. Did nobody else see that, or is it something entirely different that I didn't pick up on?

I'm not real big on a lot of the antics and celebrations these days, but I do love the "one-two punch" between Prince and Braun. Even though I'm an unabashed homer I think I would probably have liked that from just about any good hitting combo.

Some would certainly say it is. If I were going to point to Pujols though I'd look at the fact he watches his home runs for like an hour each and every time as showing up other teams more than any beast mode could.

I agree, but Prince watches some of his tape measure jobs too. What gets me is when Pujols watches a long fly ball, and it ends up not going out of the park. To my knowledge, Prince has never done that.

Agree, also watch what he does with the bat. Half the time it's thrown almost into the opponent's dugout. Very classy.

I noticed Molina, on more than one occasion, making a "crying" gesture towards our dugout when he got on base. He would make fists, put the knuckles of his index fingers to the corners of his eyes and then waggle the fists back and forth. Did nobody else see that, or is it something entirely different that I didn't pick up on?

I'm not real big on a lot of the antics and celebrations these days, but I do love the "one-two punch" between Prince and Braun. Even though I'm an unabashed homer I think I would probably have liked that from just about any good hitting combo.

I saw that too, and thought it was interesting since it came from the guy who almost got into a fight with an umpire over a ball/strike call.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

I saw that too, and thought it was interesting since it came from the guy who almost got into a fight with an umpire over a ball/strike call.

I saw it many times from Molina throughout the NLCS. Just about every time he reached base he would do it, but the cameras were always trained on his face after the big hits and he would do it.

I thought it was "crybaby" as well, but perhaps we don't know the background to it, just like the Cardinals "claim" they didn't understand the back story behind "untucking" or "beast mode." I'm sure it has something to do with toddlers of the Cardinal players crying in the clubhouse when they lost so Molina instituted "crybaby mode" to rally his teammates to keep the toddler crying after games to a minimum.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

I agree, but Prince watches some of his tape measure jobs too. What gets me is when Pujols watches a long fly ball, and it ends up not going out of the park. To my knowledge, Prince has never done that.

Right.

Everyone admires their home runs sometimes. Pujols does it every single time. And his doubles. And his warning track outs.

Right.

Everyone admires their home runs sometimes. Pujols does it every single time. And his doubles. And his warning track outs.

People were bothered when Hall did it for us.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Right.

Yeah, but he learned it from Bill Hall, so its okay.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

http://images.sodahead.com/blogs/000309855/flying_spaghetti_monster_xlarge.jpeg

It depends on how you look at it, I think. Your argument is valid, but mine is as well. On the surface, its an action done every time you get on base, regardless of whether its Pujols, Morgan or Molina. If one is a problem, the other should be too.

Plus, the Pujols thing just bugs me because it literally doesn't happen anywhere else. What would happen if a basketball player did that every time he hit a basket or completed a pick and roll? Or what if you did it at work every time you turned in a report or sent out a client email? It's just so over the top to me, and that's what makes it so grating and unnecessary.

Once it became manufactured (literally and figuratively), it was less fun for me.
Same here. It used to be only certain players, certain situations, etc. As soon as EVERY player did it after EVERY hit it jumped the shark. Much like the Tony plush phenomenon. I used to set my DVR every time he was interviewed. When it was natural, just great authentic comedy at it's best. But when he started trying to play the role it got old.

Couldn't have said it better myself. I agree 100%. Beast Mode and Tony Plush because tiresome after it became forced. Beast Mode after a game tying hit or HR is awesome. Beast Mode after a walk or every hit not so awesome.

It depends on how you look at it, I think. Your argument is valid, but mine is as well. On the surface, its an action done every time you get on base, regardless of whether its Pujols, Morgan or Molina. If one is a problem, the other should be too.

Plus, the Pujols thing just bugs me because it literally doesn't happen anywhere else. What would happen if a basketball player did that every time he hit a basket or completed a pick and roll? Or what if you did it at work every time you turned in a report or sent out a client email? It's just so over the top to me, and that's what makes it so grating and unnecessary.

I agree that it's grating, but given the locale, I'm going to say no more.

I think the Molina thing was him "revving the engines on his motorcycle" type of motion.

I don't think so. I've been riding my whole life and have never seen anyone mime riding in that fashion. The hands wouldn't be at the eyes and only the right hand would twist, etc. It was definitely a crybaby thing in my mind.

Right.

He had a great look at his fly out to RF last night. God, I hate him.

Lambeau Leap anybody?

Archived