Brewer Fanatic

I, for one, am glad 'Beast Mode' is done with

DuWayne Steurer
As long as they don't justify it by saying it's for the fans entertainment. People pay to see the actual games not sideshow antics.
Well, many if not most of us here pay to see actual games and (to varying degrees) tolerate sideshow antics. When people started dressing themselves (any age) as beasts, and the Brewers implemented not only monster-based hit/homerun graphics but also a Beast-Mode-Cam, it certainly became a fan entertainment thing.

Unlike "cardinal nation," I'm not into begrudging others their fun (unless it comes specifically at someone else's expense), but the beast-mode thing was fun and kind of charming when it was relatively spontaneous. Once it became manufactured (literally and figuratively), it was less fun for me.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The Brewers lost because they got ouplayed over 6 games by a team that was similar in talent. It happens. I don't understand why we always have to fabricate some other explanation for these kind of things.
Just to be absolutely clear Russ, I was not pointing at "Beast Mode" as to why the Brewers lost this series. It just got plain tired after a while.
I understand you aren't trying to blame this series loss on Sully. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

Obviously the reason we lost was that no one came up with some type of Mike Wisowski eyeball move. Maybe they could've rolled instead of sliding, or they could've implemented Mike's patented front-flip-land-on-crotch move that got all the kids laughing. Actually, if Yuni did that move a few times, it may have had a positive effect on the team.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Obviously the reason we lost was that no one came up with some type of Mike Wisowski eyeball move. Maybe they could've rolled instead of sliding, or they could've implemented Mike's patented front-flip-land-on-crotch move that got all the kids laughing. Actually, if Yuni did that move a few times, it may have had a positive effect on the team.
awesome.

Happy Flight! Happy Flight! Happy Flight!

Come on, this isn't new. The Twins were "sniffing out steaks" or whatever it was a couple years ago, as it was pointed out, a lot of teams do similar things. They could have been as robotic as the stupid Happy Flight Cardinals. Seriously, how dorkish was that crap?

Happy Flight! Happy Flight! Happy Flight!

Come on, this isn't new. The Twins were "sniffing out steaks" or whatever it was a couple years ago, as it was pointed out, a lot of teams do similar things. They could have been as robotic as the stupid Happy Flight Cardinals. Seriously, how dorkish was that crap?
It's not as bad as reading passages from Emily Post, which is what they plan on doing next.

To me it seemed like when somebody dropped in a single or a pitcher found a hole they did it more as a joke to go along with the team. I was fine with it and thought it was kind of cool that the origin came from (i think) Prince and his kids and took off because the Brewers were winning and they had their kids around more. It seems like other teams, fans, media etc seem to get bent out of shape over things that the Brewers do that aren't over the top. The only thing I really have seen as from the Brewers being over the top was the walkoff celebration they did against the Giants.

I think hawing is spot-on in her analysis of Beast Mode. I liked it, for the most part and for a variety of reasons. Most importantly, it's one of this team's signatures, and it seemed good-natured and spontaneous. Everything like that begins to get tired. It's not like the Lambeau Leap is as cool today as it was when Leroy Butler first did it. Now every team jumps in the stands. Had Prince stuck around, I'm sure we'd have seen tons of related merchandise in the Brewers' team shops. Sad to see it go, but glad it won't get beaten to death and totally sold-out.

Once it became manufactured (literally and figuratively), it was less fun for me.
Same here. It used to be only certain players, certain situations, etc. As soon as EVERY player did it after EVERY hit it jumped the shark. Much like the Tony plush phenomenon. I used to set my DVR every time he was interviewed. When it was natural, just great authentic comedy at it's best. But when he started trying to play the role it got old.

Honestly, I like that the Brewers are "immature." I don't want them being jerks or anything (I probably value having guys I can enjoy rooting for over guys who are amazing players), but I like it when they do things their own way and have fun. Baseball is such a fogey sport; for some reason people, including players, management, and league execs, think that if you aren't straight faced and "serious about your job" all the time that you aren't respecting the game. The Cardinals are nauseating - their act is more tiresome than the Brewers' act has ever been.

I wasn't a big fan of Nyjer antagonizing "Alberta" with his tweeting, but things like that aren't really that big of a deal (besides, who ever thought THAT would come back to bite him in the ass?) when compared to the positives he has brought to the team, its fans, and Milwaukee.

As long as the players and coaches work hard at being the best they can and are good people, I'm all for them being goofy. Heck, people LOVED the Boston "Idiots" of the mid-2000's. The Brewers' personality is half of what made them a hell of a lot of fun this year. One reason we still romanticize the 1982 team is because they were a bunch of fun-loving characters, in addition to being a fantastic team and our only World Series representative.

Long live Beast Mode, Untuck'em, Tony Plush, Carlos Gomez's somersaults, and Axford's facial hair. Long live the Brewers.

I liked beast mode for the simple fact that TLR did not like it.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

How true. We all know that laughter is 10x more powerful than screams...

I liked how it showed team unity. I liked how it showed that the team liked each other (cowboy picture here also) and supported each other. Baseball is billed as an individualistic sport (at least compared to basketball or football). But team unity is still important and people need to be supported. Very few people are true mavericks. But it has to be genuine and not mechanical either.

I enjoy watching baseball when the players are enjoying playing baseball (well at least my team). Ok, and winning helps too.

I never liked beast mode, because that is what I call my neighbor lady. She's got this horrible cough that goes on all day/night. When she goes into those fits I always called her a beast because it doesn't even sound human. I have asked her to cover her mouth to muffle the noise a bit, but she still lets it rip. Anyways, I think this should be in the what's bugging you thread!

I thought it was a fun gesture, though next year's team will need to develop their own personality.

Even as it got overused, it was a sign of cohesion and enthusiasm.

I agree

I never felt that the Beast mode stuff this year was forced or phony bravado, it just kinda happened initially in a spontaneous fashion and the team ran with it. Enjoyed it in a team bonding fashion and it also ended up helping bring more energy to the ballpark after the fans embraced the Beast Mode.

Come next year though, i'm fairly certain that it will be retired and should be. It was fun for a one year deal on a certain team, but i do think it would look dumb to me if any players tried bringing it back again next year.

How true. We all know that laughter is 10x more powerful than screams...

I liked how it showed team unity. I liked how it showed that the team liked each other (cowboy picture here also) and supported each other. Baseball is billed as an individualistic sport (at least compared to basketball or football). But team unity is still important and people need to be supported. Very few people are true mavericks. But it has to be genuine and not mechanical either.

I enjoy watching [/i]baseball when the players are enjoying playing [/i]baseball (well at least my team). Ok, and winning helps too.

I understand why many baseball fans don't want to see baseball turn into football where baseball players start doing a dance after nearly any nice play. That said, i liked that the Brewers played with some personality compared to the robotic nature most players and teams in baseball play with.

For me at least, i like seeing some personalities in baseball like say Manny did, even though sometimes he did things i didn't care for. Since the Brewers players weren't showing up the other team, i don't get why some people on other teams had an issue with the flare/fun the Brewers played with? Also, fans enjoy watching their team play with some emotion, so long as it's not silly or doing it a lot if the team is playing really poorly. Being 18 games under .500 and doing antics would probably come off bad.

One change though i'd like to see is if Nyjer is back, tone down the whole Tony Plush stuff in interviews. I found it amusing at first, but then it struck me as to planned and forced as he started receiving so much media attention, to the point sometimes his interviews made me cringe.

It's a game. It's entertainment. It's supposed to be fun. Beast mode and and untuckem were fun. So good for them.

Untuckem had a charming origin with Mike Cameron's dad. It was Cameron's thing and the 08 team's thing and then everyone moved on and that was fine. Beast mode had a charming origin with Prince's kids and it was his thing and the 11 team's thing and I'm sure next year they'll move on as well. But it was great while it lasted, even in the 8th inning when they were losing. I looked at that as hey we are not out of it yet, let's keep the faith and get something going. Better than moping around and consoling yourself with how much you Respect The Game.

I hope there are more playoffs and another signature shtick sooner than later. In the meantime beast mode for me is part of the appreciation thread.

Since the Brewers players weren't showing up the other team,

I guess that would be up for debate. Opposing pitchers may feel that the other team making a big deal out of every hit would be "showing up the other team." The Diamondbacks started doing a move of their own, making the "snake move" directly at the Brewers, so they probably felt the Brewers were "showing them up." If I were on a team facing the Brewers, I'd probably feel some extra joy from beating them simply because of these antics.

While these things don't really bother me, when I see the Brewers antics, I always am reminded of Barry Sanders' quote from his father regarding dancing in the endzone: "Act like you've been there before."

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Interesting discussion, it seems the Brewerfan community is pretty evenly divided on this.

I was never horribly irritated by it or anything, it just that after a while, it was a bit contrived, and overdone, and it REALLY culminated with game 6, having a guy in a sully suit throw out the first pitch. As someone else pointed out, that seemed like something you'd see at a minor league hockey game. They had their fun with it, and I'm glad it's done with.

I honestly hope next year's group has fun and finds their own way, but I'd like to see them 'have fun' without having to have a contrived celebration after every single basehit.

To use another football analogy, the Packers were beating the Rams 24-3 this past week, and it was later in the 4th quarter, and a Rams WR caught a 1st down pass and got up and did a pretty elaborate celebration dance/thing/jiggly, and it's like "come on dude, you're losing by 21 freaking points, with 7 minutes to go"

It's different than when someone wildly celebrates a sack or a first down when losing by 21. When the Brewers would do Beast Mode on a ho-hum single or on a double when down by six in the 8th inning, they wouldn't go nuts with it. They'd just do a quick, non-demonstrative hand motion to the bench. It's just an "air high five." If a teammate was next to them, they'd high five him. It would be an exuberant high five if it was big deal hit and just an "atta boy" high five or pat on the back if it was relatively meaningless.

Since the Brewers players weren't showing up the other team,

I guess that would be up for debate. Opposing pitchers may feel that the other team making a big deal out of every hit would be "showing up the other team."

The thing is, there are players across the league that do some sort of demonstrative thing every time they get on base. Pujols is one of many who crosses himself and points to the sky each and every time. That's just one example that comes to mind at the moment. I've brought this up on Twitter and a few other places and no one has ever been able to tell me what separates the two and why one is showing up the pitcher/opposing team and one is not.

Archived