Brewer Fanatic

I, for one, am glad 'Beast Mode' is done with

DuWayne Steurer
Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I never really got on board with this. I remember watching the Packers, and seeing Nick Barnett making tackles 7-8 yards downfield, and doing his samurai dance, and thinking "really? is that really time to celebrate?"

Well, this beast mode is no different. It got to the point where every hit was reason for it. These guys could be down 7-1 in the 8th inning and someone would rap a 1 out single, and sure enough, 'Beast Mode' would be happening out on first base. I mean, ok, it might be kinda cute and whatnot, and I get the backstory with Fielder and the kids, but do we need to go BEAST MODE for every single hit?

I really enjoy having a team that has personality, and I enjoy watching a team that has fun playing ball. I'm not saying don't have fun out there, I'm not saying 'don't display emotion', but at some point, the antic isn't emotion, it's just a preset act that you're expected to do, and it loses any meaning when you're doing it for every single base hit in every game. At some point, it'd be nice to put aside the antics, and just play ball.

I'm sure my sentiment will be wholly unpopular, but I'm ok with that. It'll give the board something else to rant about besides RRR or the Cardinals.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR6uXvsboLdOpIX3r6PtYGrRGdaXwLXGD42CpliklD-8fDsP2jREA

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRZW9sgNjol8ptH1Wb4df8HTYUIhyE9xHiTA1MwI24-5LlNWAWb

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTXKEvMsencVnVuUWemvgt7X3v4mU7JoBJeX6VY6dDlQjYLZGpC

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRuv4xNaWj_0cMEhCV0L4ypD4zI8fAzKHsMBjep33U-9RiRSBq4

I don't understand why people pick on the Brewers for "Beast Mode" when most teams do some sort of "air high five." The Rangers have their "antlers" and "claw" and nobody says anything about it. The D-backs instituted their "snake bite" or whatever it was called and people thought it was fun. I've seen other teams do stuff like a "spotlight" and a "hook" and people say, "Look at that camaraderie." Yet when the Brewers do "Beast Mode," it's obnoxious.

I guess all teams should be like the Cardinals and not ever smile when playing a fun game, saving quiet, gentle, approving handshakes for when someone folds a perfect pocket square.

I think it's people's general hatred of Nyjer, not necessarily beast mode. I'm talking about the general public, not Brewer fans. I thought it was fun while it lasted, time to move onto something else.

I don't understand why people pick on the Brewers for "Beast Mode" when most teams do some sort of "air high five." The Rangers have their "antlers" and "claw" and nobody says anything about it. The D-backs instituted their "snake bite" or whatever it was called and people thought it was fun. I've seen other teams do stuff like a "spotlight" and a "hook" and people say, "Look at that camaraderie." Yet when the Brewers do "Beast Mode," it's obnoxious.

I guess all teams should be like the Cardinals and not ever smile when playing a fun game, saving quiet, gentle approving handshakes for when someone folds a perfect pocket square.

That's not at all what I was saying. But yes, it is obnoxious when it becomes necessary after every single base hit.

I'm not glad its over. It being over means we didn't win the WS.

Did people hate on the belt during the Packers run last year? Who cares. These are guys are out there having fun and its not like they were crazy about it in the 7th being down by a bunch of runs. It was a quick gesture they did instead of clapping their hands and pointing to the bench.

We aren't the Cardinals and thank god for that.

Yeah, hard to argue with RoCo's post. It would be different if they did it after they scored or something but it's pretty lame to do it after you hit a 120 foot bloop single down by 5 runs in the 8th inning.

it had its moment. time to move on from it. with prince gone, i think it'll be done.

i agree it got too much. i thought it was fun when guys truly did something good, but after every single hit, it was sort of 'whatever'.

if anything, i hope it teaches the player to celebrate the end result of the work - not just every little moment. A hit, a homer, whatever, is the not the defining moment of a game. It's winning the game that counts most. it doesn't mean you can't celebrate the excitement of the moment. I'm all for that. just know that in the end, it's winning that matters most.

I guess all teams should be like the Cardinals and not ever smile when playing a fun game, saving quiet, gentle approving handshakes for when someone folds a perfect pocket square.

That's not at all what I was saying. But yes, it is obnoxious when it becomes necessary after every single base hit.

Sure is. So glad that it's over.

I agree with the overall sentiment of this post. The Brewers remain a very immature team. We don't need the Cardinals to have any more motivation to beat us than they already do. When you have Morgan and Grienke talking smack, you create external problems for the team that do not need to be there. I just hope this team grows up and becomes more professional in their approach toward the game. If not, I feel we will continue to lose to teams that are more focused on what actually matters, playing sound baseball and winning.

it had its moment. time to move on from it. with prince gone, i think it'll be done.

i agree it got too much. i thought it was fun when guys truly did something good, but after every single hit, it was sort of 'whatever'.

if anything, i hope it teaches the player to celebrate the end result of the work - not just every little moment. A hit, a homer, whatever, is the not the defining moment of a game. It's winning the game that counts most. it doesn't mean you can't celebrate the excitement of the moment. I'm all for that. just know that in the end, it's winning that matters most.

Which is why the Untuck'Em was infinity better. It meant you had won the game. Screw personal achievements, make your team win. If that means HR, fine. If that means making contact to move the runner, fine. But don't suck for 8 innings and then gloat about a useless stat increase.

The poster previously known as Robin19, now @RFCoder

EA Sports...It's in the game...until we arbitrarily decide to shut off the server.

Did people hate on the belt during the Packers run last year?
As a Packers-supportive non-Packers fan (if that made sense), I thought it was ridiculous and over-the-top when Rodgers would do it because it indicated an achievment that obviously hadn't occurred. It was funny but jeez.

Anyway, I agree that the Beast Mode was a fun organic thing that showed team cohesion and support, but I didn't really like how it became the team's identity (despite all the cute kids in Beast costumes) down the stretch.

There'll be something new next year.

I didn't get to see many games, so I can't say I was really tired of it. I'd agree that if it was done on every little "good" play, it would get tiring. Bigger game changing plays is one thing. I enjoyed seeing the interaction between someone on 2nd or 3rd and the dugout.

It will probably be done next year (Fielder or no-Fielder), but I for one, enjoy the player interactions and the fan-player interactions (OOOOOOOOOOOOO-verbay, Tomahawk chop, Lambeau Leap, etc...). But you do need to keep them for special occasions.

I agree with the overall sentiment of this post. The Brewers remain a very immature team. We don't need the Cardinals to have any more motivation to beat us than they already do. When you have Morgan and Grienke talking smack, you create external problems for the team that do not need to be there. I just hope this team grows up and becomes more professional in their approach toward the game. If not, I feel we will continue to lose to teams that are more focused on what actually matters, playing sound baseball and winning.
The Brewers lost because they got ouplayed over 6 games by a team that was similar in talent. It happens. I don't understand why we always have to fabricate some other explanation for these kind of things.

The Brewers lost because they got ouplayed over 6 games by a team that was similar in talent. It happens. I don't understand why we always have to fabricate some other explanation for these kind of things.
Just to be absolutely clear Russ, I was not pointing at "Beast Mode" as to why the Brewers lost this series. It just got plain tired after a while.

Just to be absolutely clear Russ, I was not pointing at "Beast Mode" as to why the Brewers lost this series. It just got plain tired after a while.
I understand you aren't trying to blame this series loss on Sully. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

I never really found those sort of things entertaining but if the team does it I'm not all bent out of shape about it either. I can see how that sort of thing can help a team stay loose, focused or whatever. If it does by all means keep it up. If not then why bother? As long as they don't justify it by saying it's for the fans entertainment. People pay to see the actual games not sideshow antics.
There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

Whatever. If they won the world series everyone would love it.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Archived