Brewer Fanatic

A lawyer related question

2hoophead

My younger son (22) has a roommate who's parents wants to sell their son their residence come next spring. They recently moved in an apartment. The roommate would want my son to continue on at the house if he decides to purchase it.

My question is what setup should my son request to look out for his best interests because you know one or the other will eventually meet their future wife and a split will become a necessity and in the meantime his roommate's mortgage will be getting paid off.

Thanks in advance

Month to month.

If they're buying a house and expecting someone else, a friend to live there for a long time and pay rent to cover the mortgage, they're in trouble.

If this is their plan then your son has all the advantage. Tell him to live on a month to month basis and that's all.

Are worried about your son's portion of "rent" paying off his roommates mortgage, and then your son being asked to leave at some point with no compensation??

I thought ALL rent payments were to pay someone else's mortgage. There really isnt anything you can do or worry about.

IF it is security your son is after, then a month-to-month lease is NOT what he wants, as his roommate can choose to not re-up at any time.

But anyway, there are too many "theirs" "theys" and "thems" in the fact pattern to make complete sense to me.

Could you re post your question using names and state exactly what it is you are looking for?

Quote:
If they're buying a house and expecting someone else, a friend to live there for a long time and pay rent to cover the mortgage, they're in trouble.

Why are "they" in trouble?? Again with the "they's" who are they? I dont think who "they" are matters, only that "They" are the homeowners. In which case they can charge whomever they want that lives there whatever they want for rent, and then use that rent money however they want.

Im confused.

It sounds like they are selling this house with the belief or assumption this other person will be around for a long time to pay mortgages via rent.

If the person who is buying this house is relying on a roommate to always be available to help pay mortgage, they are in trouble. No? A roommate is a controllable variable? They can always guarantee that extra money will be there? This sounds viable to you?

Archived