Brewer Fanatic

What to expect in the offseason

brewmann04
  • Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It sure seems to me that any notion of NOT extending Greinke is the beginning of the path to another long stretch of at-best mediocrity. Any excellent rotation needs real strength at the top. Top prospects (Peralta, Thornburg, Heckathorn types) and mid-grade prospects (Rivas, Fiers, etc.) may eventually reach that level or at least become strong complementary pieces. But a rotation loaded with those types without Greinke & Gallardo at the top has a far greater chance of leading to years like this year's Twins rotation had than this year's Brewers rotation. To me, that's a chance not worth taking!

I was looking at this list because it has more info on guys with options and opt out stuff

Sabathia back to the Brewers! For only half our payroll!
I tried to log in on my iPad. Turns out it was an etch-a-sketch and I don't own an iPad. Also, I'm out of vodka.

It's funny that people actually believe the Brewers have the money to sign either Prince or Reyes this offseason. The money is not there.

I think you're definitely selling the financial flexibility of the franchise a little short. In the past Attanasio has said there was flexibility for what he deemed "special circumstances." Now, at the present, that the team has made a deep playoff push, drawn 3,000,000 fans yet again, is due a new television contract and has more national exposure, it's only logical to assume that the financial flexibility is on the rise.

Does this mean that they'll sign Fielder? Definitely not, but they'll explore the possibility.

The financial benefits from this season are likely to be minimal. Most of the financial gains teams see from making the playoffs is from increased TV revenues. The TV and Radio contracts were locked in a couple years ago for the foreseeable future. Attendance won't drive revenues up to much unless ticket prices are raised quite a bit since attendance has already been pretty good the last few years. Even if we have better revenues we will lose some of that in lost revenue sharing. We will probably start to see diminishing returns.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

I firmly believe Attanasio will let Melvin spend "extra" money if the right situation presents itself (Fielder signing for a non-crippling deal, or Jose Reyes for a reasonable price). We have an owner who wants to win a championship as badly as the fans do.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Fiers is about to turn 27 next season. He's Estrada with no major league success. The guy who was free twice in the past 3 seasons. Now someone might think he can be late inning guy but he isn't a large piece of a major deal. Gindl is 23 next year, Schafer 25.
David Freese didn't get called up to the majors until he was 26, and didn't become a starter until he was 27. Does that make him a non-prospect?

The TV and Radio contracts were locked in a couple years ago for the foreseeable future.

FWIW, we will actually be getting an additional $20 mil per season from our new TV deal that starts in 2013. So hopefully the payroll will increase maybe $15 mil not this year but the next.

Fiers is about to turn 27 next season. He's Estrada with no major league success. The guy who was free twice in the past 3 seasons. Now someone might think he can be late inning guy but he isn't a large piece of a major deal. Gindl is 23 next year, Schafer 25.
David Freese didn't get called up to the majors until he was 26, and didn't become a starter until he was 27. Does that make him a non-prospect?
Ryan Howard didn't play a full season until he was 26, when he won an MVP award. This is what often happens when you have a successful big league team or a great player already at a position.

This is what often happens when you have a successful big league team or a great player already at a position.

Yeah, this stinks for the player, but can be good for the team. If Gamel turns out to be a good major leaguer, we will have him for his age 27-32 seasons, or basically his "prime," for league minimum and arby. He won't be a free agent until his best years are behind him.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

We have an owner who wants to win a championship as badly as the fans do.

I'm not entirely convinced of that. The fans spend their own money on the team. The ownership invests their money in the team and makes a profit. Now if the owner started spending an equal percentage of his own personal money on building a winner as a fan does of their money on season tickets, cable TV and merchandise, then OK I'd buy that statement

Mark's got millions & millions of dollar in his own bank accounts and investments. If he really wanted a Champion, he could spend some of that and increase the payroll and resign Prince AND sign Reyes. A fanatic would do it in a heartbeat if they had the disposable income. I would

Attanasio took over a pretty bad team. The ownership group took a big risk that they would lose millions on an annual basis when they took over. They have done a good job of increasing revenue and putting a good team on the field which fans enjoy watching, turning that into a big increase in fan attendance and a new TV deal, but to imply that the "average fan" risks anywhere near what Attanasion risked is not true. I'm happy that Attanasio has put much of the increased revenue back into the team, and I'm glad he's not dumb enough to bankrupt himself to add another contract.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Freese didn't start playing minor league ball until he was 23. He was one of the best HS players in STL but got burned out on baseball and turned down a full ride to Missouri in order to as a friend from the area put it, "party". After getting a lot of pressure from friends and an old coach he later finally started playing at the JUCO level and ended up being a 6th round pick at age 23.

The best comp I can think of for Fiers, in terms of physical gifts, is Mark DiFelice. Freese looks the part more than Fiers. I think endaround's right to be critical of Fiers's upside, but I do think he could be a valuable bullpen guy... a ROOGY or more.
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

We have an owner who wants to win a championship as badly as the fans do.

I'm not entirely convinced of that. The fans spend their own money on the team. The ownership invests their money in the team and makes a profit. Now if the owner started spending an equal percentage of his own personal money on building a winner as a fan does of their money on season tickets, cable TV and merchandise, then OK I'd buy that statement

Mark's got millions & millions of dollar in his own bank accounts and investments. If he really wanted a Champion, he could spend some of that and increase the payroll and resign Prince AND sign Reyes. A fanatic would do it in a heartbeat if they had the disposable income. I would

The team doesn't pay for Mark's travel expenses or home in MKE, which he basically has so he can follow the team as a fan. And Mark doesn't have the disposable income of some owners. In fact, while majority owner, he still has people to answer to who have put up a lot of money on the team.

Ryan Howard didn't play a full season until he was 26, when he won an MVP award. This is what often happens when you have a successful big league team or a great player already at a position.
Aaron Rodgers, anyone? Steve Young? (Wrong sport, of course, and there are no guarantees with Gamel, but they're two examples that perfectly typifying your point.)

Aaron Rodgers, anyone? Steve Young? (Wrong sport, of course, and there are no guarantees with Gamel, but they're two examples that perfectly typifying your point.)

It's not a good idea to expect your guys to be an exception to the rule

I tried to log in on my iPad. Turns out it was an etch-a-sketch and I don't own an iPad. Also, I'm out of vodka.

I can see the Brewers extending Greinke this off-season, and making a big FA acquisition for a hitter to help replace Fielder's production. That would say to the fan base that we plan to compete for the foreseeable future year after year.
Robin Yount - “But what I'd really like to tell you is I never dreamed of being in the Hall of Fame. Standing here with all these great players was beyond any of my dreams.”

I agree with Brewmann04 - They need to rid themselves of Yuni that is for sure! Put Hart and Marcum put on the Block and then spend the money WISELY! Personally, I'd like to see Cody Scarpetta brought up from Hunstville, AL AA and start hurling for us, he's ready. That big 6'3" 240# RHP with that power curveball and 94 mph heater is ready I'm tellin ya! He's a beast. they called him for one game but didn't get in the game. I'd also like to see them go after this kid playing in southern IL at John A. Logan College, Luke Shearrow, who committed to UFC & Coach Rooney (3rd yr now at UFC, he came over from LSU & was part of that 2008 World Series team - was LSU's top recruiter and pitching coach), but this kid out of Logan is 20 or 21 years old, 6'4" 190#'s with a 94 mph heater and a sick slider. Has a nice change up and an all around great athlete with an MLB frame and tons of potential. Brewers should go after him in the draft, I'll bet he could still be around after 5th or 6th round. Another northern IL kid like Scarpetta. Trade Greinke, and most of the pitching staff can be traded too.

I agree with Brewmann04 - They need to rid themselves of Yuni that is for sure! Put Hart and Marcum put on the Block and then spend the money WISELY! Personally, I'd like to see Cody Scarpetta brought up from Hunstville, AL AA and start hurling for us, he's ready. That big 6'3" 240# RHP with that power curveball and 94 mph heater is ready I'm tellin ya! He's a beast. they called him for one game but didn't get in the game. I'd also like to see them go after this kid playing in southern IL at John A. Logan College, Luke Shearrow, who committed to UFC & Coach Rooney (3rd yr now at UFC, he came over from LSU & was part of that 2008 World Series team - was LSU's top recruiter and pitching coach), but this kid out of Logan is 20 or 21 years old, 6'4" 190#'s with a 94 mph heater and a sick slider. Has a nice change up and an all around great athlete with an MLB frame and tons of potential. Brewers should go after him in the draft, I'll bet he could still be around after 5th or 6th round. Another northern IL kid like Scarpetta. Trade Greinke, and most of the pitching staff can be traded too.
That Lou Palsmo guy needs a shot too!

I like the idea of trying out some youngsters for 2012 but not so sure that Scarpetta is ready for a spot in the rotation just yet.

"Trade Greinke, and most of the pitching staff can be traded too."

Um...I really hope this is not what Doug Melvin is thinking.

Do people remember this team was two wins away from the World Series? They aren't going to kill off what got them to the dance.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Archived