Brewer Fanatic

When the smoke clears...

Bikeage77
following this discussion Mark A. has said that the brewers will be in on the fielder race... and the point i was trying to make is that they should instead be in on the reyes race (it would give the brewers the coveted 2 mvps). but people have to realize that with the raises in place that there is no "fielder money" so to free up cash the brewers should trade randy wolf. I love wolf and he seemed to be the stabilizer of our rotation this year, but his value will never be higher and his salary is going to be 12-15 mil. Put peralta/Fiers in the rotation as a number 5 and i think the brewers will be fine, especially anticipating a better season from grienke.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It will be interesting to see what they're going to do if they indeed are interested in signing Fielder. They could trade another high priced player (SP or Hart), or they could use the extra money from the playoffs this year to increase 2012 payroll, and then the new TV deal will allow for increased payroll in 2013 & beyond. It will also be interesting to see if they aren't able to land Fielder if they will use that money elsewhere. With Sabathia, they said he was a special case, and they wouldn't increase the payroll for anyone else. Will that be the case with Fielder, or would they use the money on someone like Reyes if they can't sign Fielder?

It would be nice if we could expand payroll to hold onto Fielder, keep Hart & the starting rotation and improve SS, but that would seem to be a big stretch. Maybe they could sign Fielder, trade Hart for a decent SS, and let Gamel/Gindl/Schafer play RF. If we don't have Fielder, we need Hart's bat in the lineup. With Fielder and a decent SS/3B, and with Gamel's bat in RF, hart could be expendable... especially if he could net a quality SS. If they sign Fielder and don't trade Hart, then there's really nothing they could do with Gamel, so I think a trade of Hart would be more likely than a trade of a SP, but who knows.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Archived