Brewer Fanatic

2011-10-16 Cardinals (Jackson) at Brewers (Marcum) [Brewers lose, 12-6; lose NLCS 4 games to 2]

hawing
  • Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Not going to vent - I understand BF.net's policy on that. I am just going to make an observation.

Anyone else wonder if Shawn Marcum was channeling Jeff Suppan from September until tonight? What happened to him? Seriously, if he was hurt or just got the dead arm why was he allowed to continue pitching all of these games? Just leaving that out there.

Still only 6th inning, there is a window but it's closing quickly. Come on guys, let's see a comeback. I don't want to feel the pain I felt 29 years ago again.

He just didn't have the same movement on his pitches that he did early in the season when he really was our best pitcher. I have no idea why. But when his pitches are flat, they're easy to hit at that velocity. I feel badly for the guy.
Brew Crew: Don't Let Me Down

Down four, use Loe. Down 5, use Saito.

Huh?

I guess I can see why, if RR felt like he absolutely had to use Loe tonight (separate discussion) he wanted him in against all RHers and decided that was the best time to do it.

That is, of course, operating almost entirely in a vacuum. I would've made different choices.

Pitching folded and crumbled under pressure when the games really counted.

Remember Doug Melvin bragging that his complete 1-5 starting pitchers are returning next season? Yeah...that should be fun.

It got them this far, I am ok with that. Maybe with better defense and timely hitting they might go further.

(and obviously better starting pitching)

I guess I don't have a huge issue with how RR used the bullpen today. Narveson had looked pretty good recently and Loe was facing only righties. The Cardinals have simply not missed anything.

I wonder if Marcum is even back next year; I mean he is "That Guy" now. I am going to be so pissed if it comes out after the playoffs that he was hiding an injury

Its going to be hard to happy with this season with the way it ended. Just wanna forget about baseball for a couple months. Packers are great but its going to suck not having any Bucks basketball(altho I'm probably alone on this feeling)

For all the bagging on the starting pitching...

1. The margin at this moment is more runs than Marcum allowed; and

2. The Brewers' starters' ERA is better in the LCS than that of the Cards or Rangers.

They're not blameless, but the umps and hot offenses have as much to do with it as anything else.

I guess I don't have a huge issue with how RR used the bullpen today. Narveson had looked pretty good recently and Loe was facing only righties. The Cardinals have simply not missed anything.
I agree. I mean, if RR doesn't use Loe when he did, he would probably need him later, anyway, if the team came back to tie or take the lead, since the other option was to start burning the best relievers. That was a good situation for him to come in, since there were a bunch of righties and Nick Punto coming up. Marcum and Narveson put RR in a very tough spot.

Archived