Brewer Fanatic

Stay Safe out there -- Tornado Warnings

adamb100
It's probably in response to the Enterprise Alabama tornado earlier this year. When people were publicly questioning why kids were in schools when the school district knew there was big time threatening weather in the area. Way to over react Stevens Point.. off course now that I said that, I'm sure a tornado will destroy only the schools and I'll look like a tool.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good point, Sgt. (though it seems to my lay-person mind that a dismissal at, say, noon might have been a reasonable compromise).

It's sad how much everyone has to consider potential liability now.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

Community Moderator

Today is the best chance of damaging winds that we've had in several years. A derecho is possible, but smaller-scale straight-line winds are more likely. The storms will be moving at 40-50 mph!

Details!!!

The craziness continues. I work at UW-Madison and they just sent around an email with the following clips:

"However, UW-Madison students, faculty and staff are urged to monitor rapidly changing weather conditions. The storm has been predicted to reach Dane County between 4 p.m. and 5 p.m., and it is advisable for university students and staff to return home before that time or be prepared to stay in a campus building while the storms pass through."

"Employees are urged to consult with their supervisors, should the need arise for them to adjust their working hours today. Supervisors are asked to show flexibility in response to requests of employees to arrive late or to leave early because of the weather."

The Assistant Dean I work for said that this is the strongest statement made by the university he has ever seen over his many years here, and that includes 2 years ago when they closed down campus early due to snow.

Ah, Opey, you beat me to it. I just got a copy of the same email.

I can't tell, and I guess only time will tell, what's behind this advanced warning:

1. Technology is improved enough so the weather service can tell it's going to be bad farther in advance than before;

2. Institutions all over are *that* freaked out about liability;

3. It really IS going to be that bad.

I suppose it's a bit of each, and we won't know the proportion until the weather happens.

It's just that I've been personally phobic about storms since 1976 (when I was 10), so I keep a close eye on weather coverage - and never have I seen an advance response like this.

that is pretty amazing stuff. hadn't seen anything like that before. Hope everything is alright with you folks up there.

Maybe you're getting all this severe stuff out of the way before I get up there in a few weeks. That'd be nice.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

Uh, yeah, Pitch, we'll see what we can do.

I keep getting emails now about individual UW-Madison libraries that have decided to close early because of the impending severe weather. I'm not expecting ours to, though.

(Frankly, if this is going to be dreadful, I might prefer to wait it out here.)

those schools must have had some snow days to burn up or something. i know many milwaukee area school are already having to make up a day from the snow/cold days.

that is pretty ridiculous. kids will end up where they shouldnt anyways...outside, in parks, etc. on a warm june day off school.

Also remember this is the first "big" storm system of the summer and the media is probably over excited to use their SuperSkyWarnMegaUltraVision5000 Doppler radars for the first time of the year. Looking at the NWS Mesoscale discussions it looks like their major concern with this storm system is the relatively strong mid level wind shear and the resulting convective activity associated with that. It looks like right now the eastern side of WI is going to get the most active weather. Ah well...too bad im not in WI for the storms.
Formerly AirShuttle6104

Community Moderator

Looks like tonight is going to be a disappointment for those of us who get excited for severe weather. The cirrus clouds in the afternoon prevented enough sunlight from reaching the ground to create enough instability to produce a widespread severe outlook.

There could still be some severe weather, but it looks like nothing major at this point.

I wanted severe weather as well http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/mad.gif http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/mad.gif http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/mad.gif http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/mad.gif http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/mad.gif

Each time I hear gary cannalte talk about severe weather nothing happens. His wife though was the only reason besides seeing my friends that I liked going to homeroom + English class in 7th grade; )

That was okhttp://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif The winds were big time. Bay View has been pummeled better than that! Come on storms, show yourself!

That was decent watching the last 20 minutes.

Archived