Brewer Fanatic

Did I just get accepted to UWM? [Update: Graduating with class of 2013!]

adamb100

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ahhhh, UWM: Where the student body can't figure out if they're accepted or not. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

I'm just kidding. I got a Bachelor of Science from that very fine university. But it was just too easy to lay off here.

I ruled out Minnesota because of the Vikings.

Actually, Minnesota has a nice Packers bar in Uptown that I normally go to when the games aren't televised...

And MLB.TV does the trick the two months of the year that school is in session over there.

LOL, they probably don't care as long as you graduated.

You'll have to take placement exams anyway, so that is what they care about.

"When a piano falls on Yadier Molina get back to me, four letter." - Me, upon reading a ESPN update referencing the 'injury-plagued Cardinals'

Im not seeing where you were admitted. It says in big bold black letters "this application is incomplete" then it lists things that are missing, transcript,fee and placement tests. I just had the same thing happen with me at ASU, now it just says "application complete" but it doesnt say I'm admitted yet. Perhaps I'm wrong, maybe its the booze, but thats how I interpreted it.
Formerly AirShuttle6104

I think I was accepted because when I submitted my application online the PAWS thing said it also wanted my transcript. After being sent out the thing said the application was complete.

Well I got my UWM acceptance letter:

http://img149.imageshack.us/img149/351/acceptmq8.jpg

Unfortunately some else came with it. While I got accepted I applied to the College OF Engineering and Applied Science to major in Compute Science. The other letter states I dont meet the specific standards so I cant go there for the fall 07 term however I can goto the college of Letters and Science. Then if remain interested in CEAS I can do a internal transfer to it.

adam, I went to the school of Engineering there for computer science.

It's a good, rigid and difficult program.

Don't worry about not being accepted into it right away. Take all your required nonrelated courses and such. But also take the math you need right away!

CS is basically a math degree. Be good at math and ready to do a lot of it. You need to do Calc 230,231 and 232 I believe. there is another sequence with 4 calc courses also. You also have to do a physics course. when I was there you had to do 2 calculus physics courses, mechanics and Maxwell's equations. You also have to do a couple elective math courses.

All the calc and physics are 4 credits each and 6 credits of math elective (9 when I went). That's A LOT of pure math.

And then in the major you have discrete math, algorithm analysis and such so it's even more.

If you can eventually take Boylans compilers course. It's hard but it's also really good. Also, take graphics and software engineering. I think they have a web languages course now too.

My advice: Don't go into CS unless you love math and theory of computation and want to learn more about these sciences. If you like programming and want to make software, CS is more intensive than a major like MIS and you'll probably be 100X better programmer and more valuable but companies don't always see it this way. And CS is 100X more difficult than MIS. CS has a high drop out rate as well because it is difficult and people don't know what they're really getting into.

A CS degree doesn't get the respect it should in the business world either, where you'll likely work afterwards. MIS and CS gets clumped together as "computer work" event though nearly every CS graduate I work with is vastly superior to the MIS guys. But there is also a lot more MIS guys out there.

It's fun but challenging. Be sure you're up to the task.

Congrats, Adam.

I'm a CS major at UWM myself (and an old guy... sort of.. 28), so if you need any help/tips/advice on getting around campus or anything like that, drop me a pm.

Oh.. and learn to love facebook...

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

Archived