Brewer Fanatic

2011-10-12 Brewers (Gallardo) at Cardinals (Carpenter) - [Brewers lose, 4-3; trail NLCS, 2-1]

pretendastronaut
  • Replies 911
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It is what it is. He alluded to the fact that Kotsay might be the guy. yesterday. I don't get it. But at this point in the season, I'm done complaining about lineups. Hopefully it ends up being brilliant.

Go Brewers!

I have to say, I thought the constant/daily complaining about the lineups was tiresome, and it never bothered me like it did so many others; but this time, I'm picking my jaw up off the floor seeing this.

It is what it is. He alluded to the fact that Kotsay might be the guy. yesterday. I don't get it. But at this point in the season, I'm done complaining about lineups. Hopefully it ends up being brilliant.

Go Brewers!

I have to say, I thought the constant/daily complaining about the lineups was tiresome, and it never bothered me like it did so many others; but this time, I'm picking my jaw up off the floor seeing this.
My thoughts exactly. It is what it is I guess, prove me (and everyone) wrong Mark.

Go Brewers!

Me too. But all eyes are on this game. If this doesn't work he's going to get killed by every type of media and baseball fan that ever existed. So, I doubt he'll ever do something this dumb again.

But as of now, the series is 1-1 and Game 3 is tied 0-0. So:

Let's Go Brewers!

Meh. Not great, but it doesn't bother me all that much, either. Kotsay will start the game in CF, but I'm guessing he won't finish it. If nothing else the move gives RR a little more flexibility off the bench late in a tight game. (Reaching for positives here).

I guess with 12 more games to go in the season you have to rely on some other guys on the roster every now and then.

I gave RR a pass early in the year when Kotsay played center for a few games due to injuries. I didn't like it, but didn't think it was that big of a deal. This is a big deal. It would be SUPER awesome if RR is actually a secret genius and is only using Kotsay as basically a pinch hitter in the top of the 1st and will then put Gomez or Morgan in for defense in the bottom half of the first. I would actually think that would be a pretty smooth move. We have enough versatility on the bench to pull that off.

It would be SUPER awesome if RR is actually a secret genius and is only using Kotsay as basically a pinch hitter in the top of the 1st and will then put Gomez or Morgan in for defense in the bottom half of the first.

Don't you go getting everyone's hopes up. What an awesome idea!

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

EDIT: He is 4 for 12 with an .871 OPS against Carp and Gomez has never faced Carp. Guaranteed this is why. Still have no words

Was going to post this part myself. This season, Kotsay is 3-4 with a double and a walk against Carpenter. Considering the number of bad plays Morgan has made in the field in this post-season (failing to catch a ball 2 steps away from him in NLDS game 5, misplaying balls near the wall in Arizona and in NLCS game 2, etc.), Nyjer's range advantage hasn't translated into good defense.

Despite the storied road woes of this year's Brewers club, they always managed to take at least one game on each visit to St. Louis. Getting one tonight would be extra sweet.

I gave RR a pass early in the year when Kotsay played center for a few games due to injuries. I didn't like it, but didn't think it was that big of a deal. This is a big deal. It would be SUPER awesome if RR is actually a secret genius and is only using Kotsay as basically a pinch hitter in the top of the 1st and will then put Gomez or Morgan in for defense in the bottom half of the first. I would actually think that would be a pretty smooth move. We have enough versatility on the bench to pull that off.
I would love this!
Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

Here is my best case scenario:

Kotsay goes 2-2 with a HR and 2 RBI.

The Crew gets an early lead and we see Gomez come in for defense around the 5th inning. He makes a run saving, diving catch, to end an inning, and preserve the lead.

Hope this works out.

I was optimistic about getting this game in, but it looks like a significant band of showers has developed throughout the middle of Missouri. I really don't want a stop-start-stop-start game.

Crazy thought.. but should we be telling Narveson/Wolf to be ready to start/pitch tonight?

Hear me out...

We've been watching the forecast and it has been playing games. As of now it looks like the main storm will hit before first pitch and the rain will be scattered beyond that... but if there is major rain scheduled to hit after the game starts that will cause a big delay ... we could very well see a Detroit/Yankees situation where our aces get 2 innings under their belt and then have to be pulled after a long delay, effectively ruining their turn through the rotation.

It would be a serious gamble .... but if we are anticipating that situation, couldn't we throw a Narveson (not an ideal pick but good #'s against St. Louis in '11) and Wolf combo tonight and then hold Yovani back until tomorrow? Yo would be on 5 days rest (as he was for Game 5 of the NLDS) and then would be on 3 days rest if needed for Game 7 in Milwaukee. (not ideal obviously for Game 7, but again.... gambling).

The risk would obviously be the rain cooperating and having to throw a Wolf/Narveson combo against Carpenter... meanwhile Gallardo's days between pitching would be altered. The reward is getting a favorable Gallardo/Lohse matchup tomorrow (to even the series and guarantee a Greinke start at Miller Park/or if magic happens tonight to go up 3/1) ... and an added reward, if the weather goes in our favor, is dodging a full Carpenter start.

I'm not sure how serious I am about this ... I mainly want to hear some discussion on it to validate or decapitate it. I really want to out manage La Russa. Am I trying to hard?

With Kotsay scheduled to start, I'm praying for rain, rain and lots of rain. Hopefully this game doesn't ever get played tonight and that gives Ron an extra night to think about what a horrible decision it is to start Kotsay in a playoff game, where defense is so important

And I am dead serious about that. I'm hoping for rain

Community Moderator
Yeah that rain is definitely headed for St. Louis. I agree, Narveson or Wolf should start tonight if it appears there will be a rain delay. If it looked like the rain is coming in the 2nd-4th inning, you could start one of them and then bring Gallardo in after the rain moves through.

Archived