Brewer Fanatic

Tony Gwynn recalled (Hall alternatives)

lcbj68c

Bash Gwynn's power all you want but if we need anything right now, it's somebody who does the little things.

Sorry to be a grammarian, but Gwynn doesn't do little things, he does few things.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just curious -

Would we have to pay Brady Clark? I mean, we are already paying his salary this year. If we wanted to sign him, would that be ANOTHER contract on top of the other one we are currently paying of?

I truly hope that Hall can come back in a week or else we need to make a trade for another righthanded hitting outfielder. Gwynn is just not an adequate replacement for more than a few days. Losing hall for an extended period might just be the blow that destroys the Brewers playoff chances.

we need to make a trade for another righthanded hitting outfielder.
As it stands, either Jenkins or Gross will need to start vs. lefties. Being another lefty, Gwynn doesn't address that situation at all.

Even picking up a scrub that could be released if someone better came along would seem better than current organizational options.

This is provided Billy goes on the DL, of course. As the 'Severity of Hall injury?' thread indicates, we're probably stuck with what we have through the weekend.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

Does that mean Corey Hart is going to be our full-time CF? I just find it hard to imagine a gent who was drafted as a 1B would be our centerfielder for the foreseeable future. I know he is quick, but I just thought we were done with all the growing pains of someone having to learn CF.

I know he is quick, but I just thought we were done with all the growing pains of someone having to learn CF

while CF is the hardest position to play in the OF I think Hart will have a much easier time to learn it than Billy did. He has been in the OF for a couple years now and has had time to adujst to the OF.

I guess we'll just have to finish that trade for Ramirez.

If Hall is down for an extended period, I hope we go get someone. I don't see an answer right now within the system.

The poster previously known as Robin19, now @RFCoder

EA Sports...It's in the game...until we arbitrarily decide to shut off the server.

No one interested in giving Laynce Nix a shot? He's playing nicely in Nashville and has always had good upside (just hasn't stayed healthy for a whole season). But if he's healty now, I say give him a shot. Ok, start the ripping apart of this suggestion!

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Does that mean Corey Hart is going to be our full-time CF? I just find it hard to imagine a gent who was drafted as a 1B would be our centerfielder for the foreseeable future.

I know it was a long time ago, but Hart was a CFer and SS in HS and was drafted as an OFer. I think it speaks well of his overall athletic ability that he's move around so much.

EDIT: Forgot to mention he has 17 ML games in CF and he played there some in AAA.

Chris

-----

"I guess underrated pitchers with bad goatees are the new market inefficiency." -- SRB

not as a solution...but could Graffanino fill in out in the outfield in an emergency?He played a few games in the OF earlier in his career....

I wouldn't want to have him start any games in the outfield(unless he is serviceable, but never seeing him play in the OF I have no idea) but It might allow some flexibility if they need a couple innings out of him in an emergency/late inning double switch.(if he is capable of doing so)

Already the thread is in panic mode. People hate Gross, People hate Gwynn... sooner or later you guys are going to support a trade where we deal an actual gem in the minors for a patch-up player who can take CF until Hall returns. I find that option sickening myself.

Either way, this is it. There will be no more doubt during this time whether Gwynn/Gross/Nix/whoever can hack it as a starter.

All of you endorsers... be careful what you wish for.

The sky is not falling as much as I believe in Hall and his ability to get back to having a better season he was not driving our offense in such a huge way that playing more modest hitters is going to torpedo the offense. If it was Hart, Prince, or Braun then we might have something to worry about over the next month, but we'll end up going with what we have for internal depth and rearranging the line up some, but it will be OK.

Archived