Brewer Fanatic

Soup & Diego to throw out first pitches in St. Louis

RockCoCougars
Don't know where my text went on the original post but this takes some gall if you ask me. The Brewers paid the guy millions this year to sit home then he pours salt in the wound by donning the Cardinal Red to throw out the first pitch against you in the NLCS. He should be thanking the Brewers for giving him double what the Cardinals (or anyone else for that matter would have). Soup is starting to challenge Sheffield as the worst Brewer ever in my view. Hopefully Carpenter shakes his hand before the game and gets some of the fail and ineptitude on his throwing hand. Can't wash that off.

Hopefully Carpenter shakes his hand before the game and gets some of the fail and ineptitude on his throwing hand. Can't wash that off.
That won't happen unless Carpenter somehow starts throwing 88 MPH fastball to hitters.

The Cardinals' organization must want to upset the current players in addition to the fans. If they wanted to only needle Brewers fans they could have brought out Ozzie Smith or Bruce Sutter, or most anyone from their 1982 squad. Even David Eckstein would have evoked the "important piece of the 2006 puzzle" vibe without picking a former Brewer. Classy.
Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

I'd rather he was starting the game for them. In defense of Soup, yes he was a horrible disappointment, but he was nothing but an upstanding guy when he was here, we don't make the playoffs in '08 without his performance in August with Sheets out and it was the Brewers courting of him that signed him to that obscene contract which is where the market was at the time. He didn't pan out, but I never felt a reason to hate the guy.

He was a big part of the Cards last World Series team so they're trying to channel some energy...and probably stick it to the Brewers a little. Whatever...I just hope he brings his Brewers cooties for the Cards and leaves them on the mound.

I wonder who they'll pull out for Game 4. Willie McGee? Darrell Porter?

It won't be Darrell Porter. He died 9 years ago.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darrell_Porter

I don't have a problem with them picking Suppan--though it would have been like if the Brewers used Richie Sexson to throw out a pitch against Arizona. A little tweak doesn't hurt--it's fun.

He wasn't just a part of the World Series team. He was the NLCS MVP in 2006. This is the first NLCS game in St. Louis since he won that award. It is a logical choice just based on St. Louis's side of things. It just stings from our side because of what happened in the years after that.

The poster previously known as Robin19, now @RFCoder

EA Sports...It's in the game...until we arbitrarily decide to shut off the server.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Seeing that Soup played for both teams, he seems like a logical choice. Especially given some of his success from the Cardinal's side.

You can't be made at Soup for his performance in Milwaukee. It wasn't like he slacked off and grumbled around here. He gave everything he had while with Milwaukee and was a good citizen also. Considering him with Sheffield is a joke.

His physical ability dropped off. Can't really blame him for that. It happens to 30+ pitchers. Blame the GM if anyone. The only thing Soup could have done better in Milwaukee (that was in his control) was to ensure he had his pillow with him at all times.

Does this strike anyone else as hilarious? Bob Gibson? Red Schoendienst? Anyone else? I mean Soup is an odd choice, if you ask me.

Exactly. Stan Musial, Lou Brock, Steve Carlton even Willie McGee off the top of my head. I guess they are celebrating the 5 year anniversary of the 2006 season because Edmonds is going tomorrow. I love how they are celebrating a moment that basically fleeced the Brewer brass into giving a guy double what he was worth. More gamesmanship on the part of the Cardinals. I guess they screwed the Brewers players on their seating as well. These guys are pulling out all the stops because they know that they have an inferior team.

I think the Brewers should run out Don Denkinger to throw out the first pitch on Sunday.

On a related note, I was looking for a cheap used Suppan t-shirt jersey to burn at my tailgate, but I'm unable to find one. Apparently they never sold any. Do bobble heads melt?

I think the Brewers should run out Don Denkinger to throw out the first pitch on Sunday.

On a related note, I was looking for a cheap used Suppan t-shirt jersey to burn at my tailgate, but I'm unable to find one. Apparently they never sold any. Do bobble heads melt?

Oh, they exist. I saw one on a fan at either Sunday's or Monday's NLCS game. Now that I think of it, that's kind of a perverse day for a Brewers fan to wear a Suppan shirt.
Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

I wonder who they'll pull out for Game 4. Willie McGee? Darrell Porter?
another former (albeit briefly) brewer...Jim Edmonds.
Yup, it's Diego. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif
Suppan, Edmonds to throw out first pitches
ST. LOUIS -- A pair of past National League Championship Series heroes will appear prior to Games 3 and 4 of this year's NLCS at Busch Stadium. Jeff Suppan and Jim Edmonds, members of the Cardinals' 2004 and '06 pennant-winning teams, will throw out first pitches before Game 3 and Game 4, respectively.

Suppan started the last two pennant-winning games for St. Louis -- Game 7s in '06 and '04 -- and he was the Most Valuable Player of the '06 NLCS. Edmonds started both those games as well, though he had his greatest moment as a Cardinal in Game 6 of the '04 NLCS. Edmonds hit a 12th-inning walk-off homer, forcing a seventh game.

As part of the Game 3 festivities, Johnny Gill will sing the national anthem. The Cardinals will hand out "Rally Squirrel" towels to fans in attendance, and the pregame events will include appearances by Cardinals Hall of Famers and the Budweiser Clydesdales.

Busch Stadium gates will open at 5:05 p.m. CT both days -- two hours before first pitch.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

Archived