Brewer Fanatic

Pitching Pujols

RockCoCougars
Obviously the Brewers did an abhorrent job of pitching to Pujols last night and he made them pay. I keep hearing the book on pitching to him is to go inside, and I can see that to a point (namely a high and tight pitch to make him think about standing on the plate) but it's very easy to make a mistake going inside and leave the ball in his wheelhouse. Some of the pitches that he got last night were inexcusable. From what I've seen, Pujols should get a steady diet of low and outside stuff. He seems to get a little impatient and can be caught with an off balance swing trying to pull this stuff. He's hit into a ton of double plays this year. Bottom line, hopefully they can do a better job of keeping guys off the bases ahead of him (has he come to the plate without a guy on base yet?), but if they fall behind on him 2-0 or 3-1, I think it's best to just put him on. Let Berkman and Holliday beat you.

Obviously the Brewers did an abhorrent job of pitching to Pujols last night and he made them pay. I keep hearing the book on pitching to him is to go inside, and I can see that to a point (namely a high and tight pitch to make him think about standing on the plate) but it's very easy to make a mistake going inside and leave the ball in his wheelhouse. Some of the pitches that he got last night were inexcusable. From what I've seen, Pujols should get a steady diet of low and outside stuff. He seems to get a little impatient and can be caught with an off balance swing trying to pull this stuff. He's hit into a ton of double plays this year. Bottom line, hopefully they can do a better job of keeping guys off the bases ahead of him (has he come to the plate without a guy on base yet?), but if they fall behind on him 2-0 or 3-1, I think it's best to just put him on. Let Berkman and Holliday beat you.

Yeah that's what Smoltz was saying all along last night. He didn't understand why the Brewers kept pitching him up. The one time he was pitched down, he got out. Obviously that won't happen every time but it's a lot harder to hit bombs on pitches low and away.

This is Jack Burton in the Pork Chop Express, and I'm talkin' to whoever's listenin' out there.

I have less problem with the strategy than I do the execution. Marcum has hit the point were he doesn't trust his stuff, so he tries to get cute and if he misses it's bad. I'd bust that guy right in on the hands and not be afraid to hit him...then work him away. I think that's what he tried, but he left it over the plate. He's not going to miss those.

The notion that it is optimal strategy to always walk any hitter is just so wrong. It's not even close. In almost every situation, an intentional walk results in increasing the expected number of runs scored. Its only late in close games when you can even begin to talk about an IBB being the correct strategy.

Also, I can't imagine that always pitching Pupils inside is the right call. He would simply not even bother covering the outside of the plate. Its all game theory.

The notion that it is optimal strategy to always walk any hitter is just so wrong. It's not even close. In almost every situation, an intentional walk results in increasing the expected number of runs scored. Its only late in close games when you can even begin to talk about an IBB being the correct strategy.

Also, I can't imagine that always pitching Pupils inside is the right call. He would simply not even bother covering the outside of the plate. Its all game theory.

How about plunking him every time instead? If that's always wrong, I don't want to be right http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

Archived